Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Check out Anandtech's review of the iPad 2,4 and have a look at the gains in battery life just from going to a 32nm process.

Yes... But iPad2,4 didn't up the clocks for more performance, get a larger LCD, more memory, more powerful GPU, LTE, new wifi chip supporting 5GHz, new audio DSP to aupport Siri... All things expected out of new iPhone.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Except that the iPhone crashes if you forget to go close all the stuff you opened. Bummer.

I've had my iPhone 4 for a year now and have never closed any apps in the multitasking tray and my iPhone hasn't crashed, battery easily lasts through the day, and there have been no slowdowns because of it. You're just talking out of your ass, buddy.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes... But iPad2,4 didn't up the clocks for more performance, get a larger LCD, more memory, more powerful GPU, LTE, new wifi chip supporting 5GHz, new audio DSP to aupport Siri... All things expected out of new iPhone.

As another user said, the iPhone will only have a slightly larger screen, more memory (will use up barely any battery), it will have a new, 2nd gen LTE chip that is MUCH more energy efficient, a new wifi + bluetooth chip that also uses MUCH less battery, and most likely the same or a 2nd gen audio DSP chip for Siri that will use either less power or the same as on the 4S. Combine all those power saving innovations with the likely possibility of a smaller more energy efficient CPU (hopefully a cortex A15 based dual core A6) and you've got one very energy efficient phone. I wouldn't be surprised f it got better battery life than the 4S.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The question that should be asked is does iOS 6 (and iOS7) require and would it truly benefit from an A6 Quad-core processor? There are still a lot of Android phones running dual-core processors and just now starting to get quad-core processors. Of course Android is also rolling out phones with 2GB of RAM and will ultimately make the phones be more future proof, or at least the carriers and OEM's can't say the phones lack the internals to run newer Android OS's.

Battery life vs processor power is always a balancing act and Apple has been relatively good at managing it. Although I am concerned given the leaked battery spec for the next iPhone showing only a marginal bump in capacity and yet we are getting a bigger display & LTE so really what are they planning for?

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
If they are intending to upgrade the chip i think a6 is the only option. This is the most efficient way to upgrade whilst keeping dual core with similar performance as quad core.

If no upgrade then iPhone does not really need 4 graphic cores so keeping A5 is the only option(at 32nm).

I think A6 is likely though given that Exynos equivalent was announced nearly 8months ago commercial availability early Aug. I think similar time duration pattern is followed by chip used in 3GS and iP4

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
The question that should be asked is does iOS 6 (and iOS7) require and would it truly benefit from an A6 Quad-core processor? There are still a lot of Android phones running dual-core processors and just now starting to get quad-core processors. Of course Android is also rolling out phones with 2GB of RAM and will ultimately make the phones be more future proof, or at least the carriers and OEM's can't say the phones lack the internals to run newer Android OS's.

Battery life vs processor power is always a balancing act and Apple has been relatively good at managing it. Although I am concerned given the leaked battery spec for the next iPhone showing only a marginal bump in capacity and yet we are getting a bigger display & LTE so really what are they planning for?

Who says A6 is quad? Could very well be a dual CortexA15, would still be a next generation architecture, and run circles around quad CortexA9s.

There is nothing 'future-proof' with Android considering the way the manufacturer toss their customers under the bus regarding OS updates and support.

IMHO 2GB would be a waste for iOS. Its far more efficient with resources than Android. 3GS is still ticking along admirably with 256MB. 512 is doing great on the 4S, 1GB will ease a few bottlenecks and give it longevity but a jump to 2GB would be a waste. The nearing iPhone 6 and the 7 in 2012 even if assuming it gets the next gen A6/CortexA15 will still probably remain at 1GB. I wouldn't be shocked if even the 2014 iPhone 8 with A6/A15 refresh sticks with 1GB RAM, but thats looking a little far out there.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
No it didn't, but the battery life savings are still significant. Up to 30% in games, and up to 15% in just web browsing. We don't know if Apple will increase the clock speed of the processor, the larger LCD will have little effect on power consumption, memory should use less power as it will likely be at 32nm, and the same is true of the GPU even if it does have a 20% higher clock speed, LTE 28/32nm will also use probably as much power or maybe even a little less as the current 40/45nm 3G chips.

The iPhone 4/4S' display uses 0.42 Whr at 100% brightness, I can't imagine a twenty percent taller display is going to increase that by anything more than 0.10 or 0.20 Whr. Right now it's the SoC which drains the majority of the battery -- it can draw up to 2 Whr, maybe even a little more. Drop that by 30% and reduce overall leakage 10x.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Smart phone is about CPU speed now? I always give the first priority at battery life. No juice, your phone is just a brick that can not do a thing. As long as, phone does its functionality as it is supposed to be with long battery life is main thing. A6 will definitely suck more juice than A5. I can see leaked picture of next iPhone's the battery is just a little more juice. It has to drive a bigger screen and iOS tend to suck more juice as it has so many background process running comparing to previous iOS 3,4. You can expect battery life of new iPhone is worse than ever.

yow.

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
The Cortex A15 core (expected in A6) is more efficient than the Cortex A9 core (used in A5/A5x); the process shrink also improves efficiency.

If you plug-in a HDMI display, you use all the CPU and GPU you have.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The Cortex A15 core (expected in A6) is more efficient than the Cortex A9 core (used in A5/A5x); the process shrink also improves efficiency.

If you plug-in a HDMI display, you use all the CPU and GPU you have.
I hope they use the A15, but I don't think they will. Quad-core A9 I expect. Will be pleasantly surprised if it's the A15 though.

yow.

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
from marco.org:
The A5X is too big and hot to run in the iPhone. Even a die shrink wouldn’t make it ideal.​

"too big": A die shrink would halve the surface area - and the A5X is not double the surface area of the A5 (it has double the GPU area, but not double the CPU area - just some extra bandwidth). So overall, it would be smaller than the A5 that is in the iPhone 4S now.

"and hot": they can downclock it, as they have the last two times (from 1GHz to 800MHz). If it's still too hot, they can downclock the GPU independently, and still come out way ahead.

He says there's demand for increased CPU - but is there? (apart from competitors marketed as "quad-core") Does anyone think "great phone, if only it crunched numbers faster!" In contrast, graphics are noticed, all the time, and allow more sophisticated, mind-blowing games - especially with a HDMI display.

Of course, if they can use A15 cores, then that would be fantastic! (It just seems too soon.) And - why not? - combined with a Rogue G6200 GPU! No - it will be an A5X, the photo is a shop, to milk pageviews from our hopes...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.