Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi. I don't if that's because people are dumb or credulous, but HOW THE **** CAN YOU THINK THERE WON'T BE A REDESIGN?

I'm going to tell you something: this is not about the leak parts, this is not about the fact that Apple will release an updated iPhone 4S for third-world markets, this is about consumer demand, consumer psychology, expectation, and PR "noise".

1. Apple is the strongest company in term of product design, marketing and public relation (communication). That's why some people may feel that even if Apple would release a half- baked update, people would buy it.

The proof is the recently released chart, showing record customer retention (it means when you switch to a brand, it's the difficulty you have to switch back/buy something else) of Apple, and I myself tried to choose something else than the iPhone because it's uninnovative, but I can't because there's not something good enough in term of critical aspect for me like the UI/UX.

First of all, people who go on buying a smartphone (I'm talking about regular customer, not Apple fanboy) now goes for a bigger and better quality screen if possible, LTE/4G is now implemented in the US, people are searching for really powerful phones with tons of information accessible right away (widgets), some people want slicker design others want big screens.

The iPhone 4 was release ONE AND HALF year ago. It's outdated, doesn't match with the opponents: I didn't care about the Samsung before I heard three of my friends finally switched from their iPhone 3GS or 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S2: it's a killer phone.
Some other competitors release phones that are even thinner than the iPhone 4.
But moreover if you look at the market, everything is getting tighter and tighter with Android cannibalizing the market with its strategy.

But the worse is also, that Apple customer patience and demand have decreased with the time, the lack of surprise and the lack of innovation: After having a huge hype around the iPhone 3/3GS, people are less and less impressed with Apple's product, there is less and less the need for most consumers, and the competition is catching up if not doing better.

SO do you really think Apple is dumb enough to have us waiting 1 and a ****ing half year in a market where people expectations are higher, competition is stronger and interest in Apple as decreased, especially with all those mock-up of similar iPhone 5 redesigns, to only go out in the world and say "HEY, for ONE MORE YEAR, we absolutely don't have anything new but an updated version of our semi-failed phone?"
Stop being stupid and ask question we don't give a **** about THERE WILL BE 100% CHANCE THAT THERE IS THE IPHONE 5.

NOW the real question is, because we all now about the iPhone 5, nobody was impressed by the mock-up (althought lots of people including me like the design), especially with the competition already having big screens, slimmer body and growing ecosystem, will Apple outdo our expectations? Or will it just be a regular update we're all waiting for and nothing more, lowering even more people interest in Apple?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
You're leaving out one important factor: Apple is the most arrogant company on the planet. They'll release a pathetic 4s and you'll like it.

...it's the Apple way.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Sedrick said:
You're leaving out one important factor: Apple is the most arrogant company on the planet. They'll release a pathetic 4s and you'll like it.

...it's the Apple way.

Sad, but true.

Apple will make Assistant sound like something you NEED in your life. Only Apple can get away with BS updates to their devices. It's really going to suck having the same phone again. I can't see Apple staying with thr same design for 16 months + 12 months = 28 months (over 2 years). This poor 3.5" retina screen isn't working for me. Devices will come standard with 4"+ in another year or so.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
These threads are going to keep coming until Tuesday, and then the forums will die during the event, only to erupt again for the next 2 days with "I told u so"..."this is amazing", "this is BS", etc. And I'm fine with it. People are excited, people want to get their points across and even though a dozen threads about the same topic already exist. They don't want their theory's or important thoughts lost 70-100 posts down. No need to flame or blast people for doing it. It's human nature. Be kind and skip over them if they don't intrest u. Everyone is going crazy because of this crazy rumor season. Just about everything is conflicting. There are 2 or 3 sets of rumors that are all exact opposites of each other. This year it's just nuts. And with 48 hrs to go, it's only going to get crazier. So just enjoy the ride and laugh and just how obsessed people are (Including myself) with this new device. it'll all be over soon and everything will go back to normal...for at least a little while anyway.

And yes, I totally agree with the OP. People want the iPhone to physically change. And the fact is design sells just as much as function. My iPhone 4 is beautiful. But I've had it so long that I'm tired of looking at it. And I know Apple is capable of giving me something even more beautiful. And that's exactly what they do. They innovate. Another iPhone 4 wouldn't be so innovative. Apps knows its time.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi. I don't if that's because people are dumb or credulous, but HOW THE **** CAN YOU THINK THERE WON'T BE A REDESIGN?

I'm going to tell you something: this is not about the leak parts, this is not about the fact that Apple will release an updated iPhone 4S for third-world markets, this is about consumer demand, consumer psychology, expectation, and PR "noise".

1. Apple is the strongest company in term of product design, marketing and public relation (communication). That's why some people may feel that even if Apple would release a half- baked update, people would buy it.

The proof is the recently released chart, showing record customer retention (it means when you switch to a brand, it's the difficulty you have to switch back/buy something else) of Apple, and I myself tried to choose something else than the iPhone because it's uninnovative, but I can't because there's not something good enough in term of critical aspect for me like the UI/UX.

First of all, people who go on buying a smartphone (I'm talking about regular customer, not Apple fanboy) now goes for a bigger and better quality screen if possible, LTE/4G is now implemented in the US, people are searching for really powerful phones with tons of information accessible right away (widgets), some people want slicker design others want big screens.

The iPhone 4 was release ONE AND HALF year ago. It's outdated, doesn't match with the opponents: I didn't care about the Samsung before I heard three of my friends finally switched from their iPhone 3GS or 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S2: it's a killer phone.
Some other competitors release phones that are even thinner than the iPhone 4.
But moreover if you look at the market, everything is getting tighter and tighter with Android cannibalizing the market with its strategy.

But the worse is also, that Apple customer patience and demand have decreased with the time, the lack of surprise and the lack of innovation: After having a huge hype around the iPhone 3/3GS, people are less and less impressed with Apple's product, there is less and less the need for most consumers, and the competition is catching up if not doing better.

SO do you really think Apple is dumb enough to have us waiting 1 and a ****ing half year in a market where people expectations are higher, competition is stronger and interest in Apple as decreased, especially with all those mock-up of similar iPhone 5 redesigns, to only go out in the world and say "HEY, for ONE MORE YEAR, we absolutely don't have anything new but an updated version of our semi-failed phone?"
Stop being stupid and ask question we don't give a **** about THERE WILL BE 100% CHANCE THAT THERE IS THE IPHONE 5.

NOW the real question is, because we all now about the iPhone 5, nobody was impressed by the mock-up (althought lots of people including me like the design), especially with the competition already having big screens, slimmer body and growing ecosystem, will Apple outdo our expectations? Or will it just be a regular update we're all waiting for and nothing more, lowering even more people interest in Apple?

Is there any proof that it failed? as i'm sure selling 47 million in 2010 and 30 million in 2011 (approx), does not count as a failure.....

Also the mockup of the iPhone 5 is based on a supposed 'leaked' design sheet that spawned cases. This is a flawed reason to put all your reasoning for a redesign on, since there was the 3rd gen iPod touch case with a camera hole on the back, which was also based on a supposed 'leaked' design sheet.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Did you say "THIRD WORLD MARKETS?"

Dude- I'm not sure you know what the third world is, and I am sure that's a first world problem.

Bumble Bee

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
Is there any proof that it failed? as i'm sure selling 47 million in 2010 and 30 million in 2011 (approx), does not count as a failure.....

Also the mockup of the iPhone 5 is based on a supposed 'leaked' design sheet that spawned cases. This is a flawed reason to put all your reasoning for a redesign on, since there was the 3rd gen iPod touch case with a camera hole on the back, which was also based on a supposed 'leaked' design sheet.

The reason apple sold that many iphone 4's in 2011 is because of the fact that APPLE opened their doors to VERIZON, those who were begging for the iphone (verizon users) went out and bought it day off launch, those who werent at the end of their plan waited and upgraded when they had the chance. The AT&T users and the smart VERIZON users know that its now outdated tech, so we are all waiting for the next big thing. A spec bump will make some happy, but honestly most people do not even care about spec bumps, apple could easily change the design and keep the same specs and sell it so the ones who arent on these threads voicing their opinion will do what apple says

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The reason apple sold that many iphone 4's in 2011 is because of the fact that APPLE opened their doors to VERIZON, those who were begging for the iphone (verizon users) went out and bought it day off launch, those who werent at the end of their plan waited and upgraded when they had the chance. The AT&T users and the smart VERIZON users know that its now outdated tech, so we are all waiting for the next big thing. A spec bump will make some happy, but honestly most people do not even care about spec bumps, apple could easily change the design and keep the same specs and sell it so the ones who arent on these threads voicing their opinion will do what apple says

i highly doubt it's such a high number just because it got released on Verizon, just 1 extra network in 1 market, the iPhone is not just sold in the US you know.... Verizon sales count as a small percentage of that figure, barely 10%, as in April they had sold 2.2 million.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
iPhone 5: Some marketing and PR strategy lessons

And what, pray tell, are your qualifications in the areas of corporate strategy, marketing, and PR?

The problem with this thread, and the logic herein, is that it assumes that Apple builds devices for technophiles. They don't. They build phones for average consumers. Average consumers are people who are still buying iPhone 4s right now, because they don't know/care about the latest and greatest.

You're assuming that every consumer has your wants and needs when it comes to the iPhone. But that's not even remotely the case.

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The problem with this thread, and the logic herein, is that it assumes that Apple builds devices for technophiles. They don't. They build phones for average consumers. Average consumers are people who are still buying iPhone 4s right now, because they don't know/care about the latest and greatest.

You're assuming that every consumer has your wants and needs when it comes to the iPhone. But that's not even remotely the case.

That's indeed the domain I work in as consultant (in France). You are half right, half wrong. People are still somewhat buying iPhone 4 (but as I'm sure you've heard, the demand as been decreasing since april-june) not because they're not interested in something new but because they are the typical average joe who's not smart enough to dig some information about the brand and product and gets disappointed when a new product is release two weeks after they bought theirs.

BUT, may I remind you why Apple is all-powerful and successful now? Because not only do MOST of their consumers care for such information and updates or innovations on the products but it's Apple themselves who cultivate their image through the promotion of their better design, innovation, magically fantastic blabla.

Why do you think they are the first to have brought a new way of doing corporate communication with their keynotes?

And yes, I totally agree with the OP. People want the iPhone to physically change. And the fact is design sells just as much as function. My iPhone 4 is beautiful. But I've had it so long that I'm tired of looking at it. And I know Apple is capable of giving me something even more beautiful. And that's exactly what they do. They innovate. Another iPhone 4 wouldn't be so innovative. Apps knows its time.

This

...it's the Apple way.

I kind of said the same thing: Apple are arrogant and made people's expectation go through the roof.

But you can only try to ******** so much if you're not able to keep people passionate (at this point it's almost passion more than interest) for their products if they don't innovate more and more (not as much as the previous releases, it has to be more, because people are less and less surprised).

That's why I said than, even if a redesign is of course obvious because of those exceptations, even if the day of the keynote we'll hear the usual sell-out media-blog shouting how incredible it is, it's possible that people really soon forget about it and don't feel the need to update or buy the new iPhone 5 that much after the first bach unless Apple brings more than is expected (bigger screen, voice over, slimmer case, NFC, maybe battery...).

This is what's happening with the iPad 2, hence the huge decrease in sale and production: All the rich or fanboys who wanted the iPad 2 bought it in the first two months of the release. But most other users who don't see a good use/price ratio (after iPad is not the e-reader, writing tablet we've waited for decades, it's just a gadget) won't buy it even if this tablet is impressively slim as ****.

----------

Did you say "THIRD WORLD MARKETS?"

Dude- I'm not sure you know what the third world is, and I am sure that's a first world problem.

Yeah WTF, I was of course referring to second-world market not third-world

You are wrong from A to Z.

First the iPhone 4 was a SEMI-fail, because of course Apple sold a huge bunch. But may I remind you all the release failure from the beginning, like the antenna design, the pink screen, the weak fragile glass?

Also I'm saying this is a failure compared to the iPhone 3/GS generation: not only did they sell less iPhone 4 but also less customers switched from iPhone 3/GS or other phone to iPhone 4 than it was the case from Iphone 2G/others phones to iPhone 3/GS.

You're the kind of people who have the obvious truth in front of them but manage to overthing and twist their mind to end up with obviously wrong ideas: Every year, every generation, iPhone has a redesign, this one has been waited even longer than the previous one, and when a new model is announced it's a go for at least one more year which would make the iPhone 4/4S generation two and half year long, WTF?

Maybe you have weak expectations, but this is obvious that most people want the new redesigned iPhone, and Apple would never have allowed leaks iPhone case and mock-ups (which happen to be ALL similar) if it wasn't true anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You're the kind of people who have the obvious truth in front of them but manage to overthing and twist their mind to end up with obviously wrong ideas: Every year, every generation, iPhone has a redesign, this one has been waited even longer than the previous one, and when a new model is announced it's a go for at least one more year which would make the iPhone 4/4S generation two and half year long, WTF?

Maybe you have weak expectations, but this is obvious that most people want the new redesigned iPhone, and Apple would never have allowed leaks iPhone case and mock-ups (which happen to be ALL similar) if it wasn't true anyway.

I will add that i'm not against a redesign, just that it's not essential. as long as it's better inside, that's what counts. The only people that want a redesign so badly are people on this forum, who do not make up anywhere near a significant amount of the audience for the iPhone, to think otherwise is delusional.

Also I'm saying this is a failure compared to the iPhone 3/GS generation: not only did they sell less iPhone 4.....

Oh and you're wrong about iPhone sales, in in 2009 the 3GS sold 35 Million, in 2010 the iPhone 4 sold 47 Million. the iPhone 3GS sold just over 1 million 3 days, the iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in 3 days.... yea, in what reality did the iPhone 4

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I will add that i'm not against a redesign, just that it's not essential. as long as it's better inside, that's what counts. The only people that want a redesign so badly are people on this forum, who do not make up anywhere near a significant amount of the audience for the iPhone, to think otherwise is delusional.

But MOST customer, although they might not follow every rumors, know how the iPhone 4 is and know that every year comes a new one, and yes they most customer won't be an updated iPhone 4, they want a new one.

And YES, there is a need for a redesign because most customers want a bigger screen and if possible slimmer design because the competition has it, and that's also what you seem to forget about most consumer: they're not Apple focused, they also know about other smartphones they could buy. Especially Android that has double the market share as Apple and it certainly not composed of Apple customers...

And finally, let's skip the part where in term of marketing and public relation there is absolutely no way that there is no redesign, to want or to be okay with an iPhone 4S as the only release with just a somewhat updated hardware is being so much of a sheep.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Am I missing something? The OP doesn't discuss marketing or PR at all, then proceeds to talk about his opinion for what feels like hours. Seriously, look up what the words mean before you use them.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
But MOST customer, although they might not follow every rumors, know how the iPhone 4 is and know that every year comes a new one, and yes they most customer won't be an updated iPhone 4, they want a new one.

And YES, there is a need for a redesign because most customers want a bigger screen and if possible slimmer design because the competition has it, and that's also what you seem to forget about most consumer: they're not Apple focused, they also know about other smartphones they could buy. Especially Android that has double the market share as Apple and it certainly not composed of Apple customers...

And finally, let's skip the part where in term of marketing and public relation there is absolutely no way that there is no redesign, to want or to be okay with an iPhone 4S as the only release with just a somewhat updated hardware is being so much of a sheep.

Where is the poll data demonstrating that most consumers want a bigger screen? Where is the data demonstrating that consumers do not want a new phone in the body of an iPhone 4?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That's just one blog (popular one thought) but look at the poll: http://mashable.com/2011/10/01/iphone-5-launch-polls/

That link you gave for a poll on what users want.. Well nice to see you read the poll, it's what do people think apple will reveal, not what do they want. Plus that poll is not an example of general consumers, just random geeks online.

If you're gonna make claims back them up rather than saying apple has the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.