Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

200432-n94_500.jpg

It should come as no surprise, but the latest iOS 4.3 SDK has uncovered evidence that the upcoming iPhone 5 will use Apple's new A5 Dual Core processor. The A5 processor was introduced as part of the iPad 2 which will launch this Friday. Apple presently uses a single-core A4 processor for the iPhone 4. Everyone has assumed that Apple will adopt the A5 processor for future iPhone and iPod Touch devices, it's still nice to have some proof.

The proof comes by way of a few tweets from @chronic (one, two) identifying the new A5 processor as being referenced by 'S5L8940'. Then, @naynee75 reveals that the N94 kernel files also contains a reference to the same A5 processor. (via iClarified). The N94 is believed to be the codename for the unreleased iPhone 5.

Historically, Apple has refreshed the iPhone in the summer (June/July) at WWDC.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Also Use A5 Dual Core Processor

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Anyone know why we've never gotten a confirmation for the clock speed in the iPhone 4? Everyone just says that it's ~800Mhz as an assumption but it's never been "proven" (even though we can jailbreak the device!)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes!!!!! When/where can I start my pre-order, Apple?
Come on, I want to give you guys my money lol

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
which means it will be in the ipod touch 5g as well.

so..... ipod touch: Worlds smallest/thinnest dual-core device.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I'm not sure iPhone 5 really needs an A5 processor. iPhone 4 is hardly a slouch when it comes to getting things done. I'd much rather more battery life, or it not to drop calls if I don't use a case.

But maybe I'm old fashioned?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Nice, I can't wait. Its been so painful with one core :rolleyes: Actually, faster is always welcome.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I wonder at what future point in time will the current A4 hardware will be too slow to run up-to-date features (i.e. such as 3G iPhone)?

Or, will Apple decide to simply exclude it from software updates at some point, even though the hardware performance is sufficient? It can already run "multitasking" now and with the exception of a few programs (i.e. cpu intensive games) I don't foresee running into significant limitations with A4 hardware for a long time.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Someone may have explained this before, but I still don't see what the benefits of a dual core processor in a phone are.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I wonder at what future point in time will the current A4 hardware will be too slow to run up-to-date features (i.e. such as 3G iPhone)?

Or, will Apple decide to simply exclude it from software updates at some point, even though the hardware performance is sufficient? It can already run "multitasking" now and with the exception of a few programs (i.e. cpu intensive games) I don't foresee running into significant limitations with A4 hardware for a long time.

April 2011 ;)

but anyways, we all know its obvious that iphone 5 and itouch 5 will now have the A5,

but when I tell people that who aren't familiar with apple always ask: how do you know for sure, apple could always do something different. which is a dumb thing to ask but I always find it difficult to explain to people how I know for sure that iphone 5 will have A5.

anyone have a good explanation I can use?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
BREAKING NEWS: Apple will announce iOS 5 in April and release a new iPhone with A5 dual-core processors in June 2011, a white version will be released on day one too. It will also have models that support UMTS/GSM or CDMA EVDO. This phone is unlikely to receive a further boost in screen resolution. However, a new iPod touch and Apple TV that utilizes the new A5 chip may not come before September 2011. :D:D:D

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I'm not sure iPhone 5 really needs an A5 processor. iPhone 4 is hardly a slouch when it comes to getting things done. I'd much rather more battery life, or it not to drop calls if I don't use a case.

But maybe I'm old fashioned?

Well according to el jobso the A4 and A5 use the same amount of battery life. (who knows when that man can bE trusted though. Still waiting on my white iPhone 4!!

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Someone may have explained this before, but I still don't see what the benefits of a dual core processor in a phone are.

Marketing. How magical do you think a A5 powered dual core mobile phone will be? Practically magical and powerful enough to drive the universe according to Apple, I'm sure.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
iPhone 5 will use the same processor. I can't remember anything this exciting since news spilled that Apple had an iPhone prototype with ... wait for it ... 64 gigs. A.real.live.prototype.

This is big. Bigger than all of us.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Well according to el jobso the A4 and A5 use the same amount of battery life. (who knows when that man can bE trusted though. Still waiting on my white iPhone 4!!

I'm still waiting for a phone that gets signal. Can you tell I'm a little bitter on the subject? Thought not.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
BREAKING NEWS: Apple will announce iOS 5 in April and release a new iPhone with A5 dual-core processors in June 2011, a white version will be released on day one too. It will also have models that support UMTS/GSM or CDMA EVDO. This phone is unlikely to receive a further boost in screen resolution. However, a new iPod touch and Apple TV that utilizes the new A5 chip may not come before September 2011. :D:D:D

Sounds about right to me :D

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Marketing. How magical do you think a A5 powered dual core mobile phone will be? Practically magical and powerful enough to drive the universe according to Apple, I'm sure.

I heard a Motorola Atrix commercial on ESPN Radio this morning, and the ad was running down the specs (qHD screen, dual core 1GHz processor, Flash, etc.) and I thought "do normal people (i.e. non-geeks) care about anything you just listed?".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.