Iphone 5 vs Google's Tegra 2!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleater, Nov 16, 2010.

1. appleater macrumors member

Really curious to see what Apple's got up there sleeve for the iphone 5, to take on Googles new Android phone AKA "LG Star", which boasts Full 1080p, 8 megapixel camera, 1GHZ dual core processor!! Set release is early 2011

http://androidcommunity.com/lgs-tegra-2-android-phone-leaks-with-full-hd-support-20101116/

Apple better have more than a new antenna to take on that puppy.

What do you think we should expect to see from macs iphone in 2011?

2. aohus, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

isn't the iPhone 5 coming in June? Most Tegra2 phones should be out by early 2011.

Btw, there will be a bevy of Tegra 2 phones out in the wild by next year. The 'LG Star' that you speak of is only one Tegra2 based phone made public thus far.

List of potential Tegra 2 phones that have been made public (via leaks or via rumor mill)

- Motorola Olympus (MB860): Coming to AT&T :p To have Gingerbread, dual core processor, 1080p playback, 4.0+ inch screen, front facing camera, using Tegra 2 SoC

[​IMG]

- LG Star: Coming to T-Mobile. Dual core processor, Tegra2 SoC, 1080p playback, 4.0+ inch screen

[​IMG]

What Tegra 2 SoC can do. essentially, gaming will be HUGE in 2011.

Check Youtube clip of action rpg game utilizing Tegra 2

3. appleater thread starter macrumors member

Looks like there will be a iphone 4GS for early 2011 and expect to see the 5 in June. The are going to be taking a beating from Android until than.

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

You guys are stupid if you think specs are what make a phone.

The better the specs, the worse battery life you'll have. Everyone wants a quad-core 3GHz phone but I'd prefer my smart PHONE (hint: not a computer) to last AT LEAST a day.

$0.02

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously doubt an iPhone 4GS will be released in early 2011. Do you really think Jobs is going to look at the flood of Android phones and say "better release something off schedule!"? What a truly inane thought.

Aside from the metal thing, I like the phone. If I can get an iPhone 4G running native Android I'd be happy as ****.

6. aohus macrumors 68000

totally wrong. dual core will be optimized for better battery management. your assumptions are clearly misguided as you have no data to back that up. Dual core phone will be running one core each at 1ghz. (approximately). This doesn't necessarily mean it will run hotter/have worst battery life. Leave it up to ARM for that :p And btw, all iPhones derive from ARM chips. Don't be surprised if dual core phones last for 2 days+

7. appleater thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you about the battery life issues, seems like the iphone 3G gives the best battery life of the S and the 4G, but still its inevitable that smart phones are moving into the direction of a do it all pc. So if you don't think specs are what make a good "smart phone" better than anouther, go buy a Motorola ROKR, last time I checked the only specs that piece of junk had was an mp3 player and a .2 pixel camera.

Get with the program. Smart phones are smart phones because they have specs.

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

They're moving in that direction at a slow rate. You're forgetting that still these Android phones that will be running more intense CPU's do not have the BATTERY technology to keep up with demands of an actual cellphone. Have you played with any recent Android phones? (I have and the battery life is HORRIBLE, I don't care what you say or your 'screenshots' they still can't last longer then a day of HEAVY use like a Blackberry. iPhone 4 was getting close though, lasting about 3/4 of a day on HEAVY usage.)

If you guys want a mobile computer, buy a laptop. My iPhone 4 does everything that my computer can do perfectly fine without hiccups.

It's this generation that makes me really sad. You guys want more, more, more but contribute nothing to society.

9. appleater thread starter macrumors member

If they didn't keep upgrading the CPUs and other features to make the smart phone more and more powerful, there would be no drive to improve battery technology.

Also, pretty sure this whole website does nothing to contribute to society, and last time I checked you were a member.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

Wow, are you seriously insinuating that technological progress is bad? Especially on a tech rumor site...

And the fact that you equate a user's desire for better specs as one who doesn't contribute to society is total fail. You just made a buffoon out of yourself bud.

11. redbeard331, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Why yes, I'm sure all Apple is working on is a better antenna..:rolleyes:

I remember last year when the Evo was coming out and people were making the same arguments based on nothing but speculation. Then the iP4 came out with the best hardware, and a camera that takes better pics than the seemingly hundreds of different Android phones with 8 MEGAPIXEL cameras!!!

The same will likely happen next year, sure, going by specs there are some really cool Android phones in the pipeline, if that's the phone you want, go buy it when it comes out, more power to you, competition is a good thing! You can sure as hell bet Apple is well aware of what the competition is up to, and will not sit by and let the iPhone become outclassed.

12. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I've been developing software for 15+ years and following tech for 20+. If it's one thing I've learned it is that there are several distinct types of users:

1. People who only judge a product based upon specs
    2. People who judge a product based upon style
    3. People who get something because their friends have it
    4. People who get something minimal because they are grudging adopters
    5. People who buy something because of hope (hope it helps, hope it impresses, hope it does something else, etc.)

Obviously there are crossovers and this is a bit incomplete but we're seeing it played out yet again.

I think Android phones will definitely win long term on #1. Apple will probably win #2 long term. That probably means Android will have the lead on #3 and #4 with Apple having some lead on #5. Just based on my long term observations.

Another thing is that this kind of lines up with the whole market adoption profile from early adopters to mainstream buyers to obsolescence. When a product is getting popular specs are what is most important. When it reaches a certain point it's style that takes over. A great example of this is the computer industry. Look at what happened to PCs pre original iMac to iMac to the touch screen changes. Simple box to style statement to functional fragmentation. Then one of those fragments starts the cycle all over again.

Anyway, it's how I see things. I'm sure other people will see it differently.

13. APtalent macrumors regular

I can't stop loling at your ignorant remarks!!!

14. appleater thread starter macrumors member

you make a strong argument, apple will definitely have to make a big leap from ip4 to ip5 if they want to they want to keep winning based on style & specs*, the question is will they? (it reaches a point where style and hope just aren't enough)

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The Tegra2 will be a beast, no doubt. It is the reason that the new Google phone (the Nexus S) was delayed.

The Nexus S was supposed to have been released last week, but they went back to the drawing board to outfit it with a dual core processor.... so yes, Android manufacturers also have to compete with each other, which is why I don't see Apple keeping up unless they make some big changes.

Dual core sounds nice, but I'm not sure what it will do for me early on. A 4-inch screen is the 'sweet spot' for a phone, but too small to use as a productivity device, and not enough battery life to use as a gaming platform.

I foresee better support for Flash and more robust productivity apps (document editors), but the current feature set of the software (both on the phone and on other devices) is going to limit what you can do with it on launch day.

My phone is already more powerful than my first PC I got in 1994.... with way more features. (camera, gps, etc). I'm not sure what the hell else I will be able to do with a 4-inch computer. Mobile payment is on the way... after that there won't really be a reason to carry around a wallet. You can scan in your driver's license and library card and keep the images on your phone.

Better to use that pocket space for spare batteries instead.

16. appleater thread starter macrumors member

I'd say the only ignorant person in here is Jare, who thinks that good specs aren't what make a good "smart phone". If he wants a phone solely for good battery life, than a smart phone isn't for him. obviously more powerful processors are going to consume more battery, thats what drives the market for better batteries.

17. LS417 macrumors regular

I laugh everytime I hear people claim a phone will be so "great" based on specs alone... its actually laughable hearing people shout: "OMGZ 1 GIGaHZ gonna pwn your iphoneZ"

Comparing processor speed without taking into consideration the software it is pushing is very much like comparing sports cars based on HP output alone.

is a 500hp, 4000LBScar faster than a 250HP, 1500LBS car? Simple answer is NO, and a quick power to weight comparison will show you exactly why.

(and yes I understand there are other factors involved such as grip/drivetrain/driver but I am simplifying this example for the sake of proving a simple point.)

Power output or "GHZ" is not nearly enough information to make any reasonable conclusions about performance.

when comparing my iPhone to other 1GHz phones out on the market today, it takes me about 2 seconds to notice how much more sluggish these phones are. There really is no comparison.

These phones NEED 1Ghz dual core processors in order to push the overly complicated/bloated software that they are running. That is simply not the case with the iPhone.

18. aohus macrumors 68000

ok, have you seen iOS 4 running on iPhone 3G? Its horrible. Reason why its not so bad on the iP4 is because the A4 processor is more powerful. So yes, a software update to iOS 4 from iOS 3 will be better served with a faster processor.

with a 1ghz dual core processor, possibilities are expanded on the phone. 1080p playback, faster browsing, and overall snappier OS is a better experience. why hate on upcoming phones that are going to have the latest and greatest? a dual core phone on android 2.3 would be mind numbingly fast. at the same time, would you be content if the iPhone5 had the same exact specs? From what I've been reading thus far on this thread, I would assume many Apple enthusiasts wouldn't mind the SAME exact phone for the iP5.

19. LS417 macrumors regular

Everything is relative. 2 years ago, a 500mhz processor in a phone would get nerds' pants wet thinking its going to be "mind numbingliy fast." But then we get used to it and after 2 weeks its not so "mind numbingly fast" because we are already salivating at the next big jump.

For myself and I would like to think a lot of other users here, we prefer a phone that does what we need it to do. I DONT CARE what specs it has as long as it can do what I need it to do with relatively no issues/hiccups.

The IP4 does this and so I don't care if the specs improve or dont improve.

All this nonsense talk about 1080P playback and other gimmicks...

why in gods name would you need that? do you not have a television? or a computer that you can watch videos on?

I can understand this being a benefit if someone is struggling financially and they need one device to replace their TV/computer/toaster/etc...

But I would venture to say that 99% of people will never watch any 1080P movies on a 4inch screen.

20. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

That video isn't of the game running under a Tegra 2-powered device. That's 360 footage.

Hurf.

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Asinine :rolleyes:

22. aohus macrumors 68000

It runs on Tegra 2. Here is a demo of it on a tablet with Tegra2 inside.

nerd's pants wet? the fact that you mention 'nerd' in that kind of context displays immaturity. We're on an apple rumor enthusiast site, and you're calling people out as 'nerds?' You're implying that its all ok to willfully be ignorant of how smartphones work, and specifications are trivial for the end user.

Another ignorant statement. You're essentially saying that spec upgrades are a non-starter, and its all about the software... How more ignorant can one be? What if the phone does what its supposed to do, but done faster and in a more efficient way?

1080p playback is one feature, out of many, and to some, its a huge feature. Some would argue that a front facing camera is useless. Its relative, dependent on the user, business, etc.

Are you serious? You seriously think people want 1080p playback so they can watch it on their phones? Its obvious that 1080p playback will be used for showing 1080p playback on your TV, connected via HDMI. In essence, its a mobile apple tv in your hand (except it does 1080p, not 720p playback :p).

23. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

24. aohus macrumors 68000

of course its not going to look exactly like the 360 version.

Dungeon Defenders will be available for iOS as well, and using the unreal engine, which is the SAME as Epic Citadel.

I'm finding it hilarious that you're trying to knock on Dungeon Defenders, when its a cross platform game using the SAME exact engine as Epic Citadel. Your fanboyism is proving your ignorance.

25. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Many people seem to forget that Android has matured a GREAT deal in the past year. The software argument no longer exists.

Apple will get trounced unless they step it up.