iphone 5 vs iphone 4 and unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FX4568, Jun 22, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm confused, what do you need help with?

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

You could buy a verizon iPhone off craiglist (you two meet at store and activate it successfully) to keep the unlimited data then upgrade to i5 when it comes out and sell your i4

4. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

Well you can do more with an iphone 4 then an iphone 5 like making calls on it and holding it in your hands and all. Lol

OK I will stop pulling your leg, what I will do is purchase a cheap android headset to lock in the unlimited plan. You should be real with your self and know that it will be hard to get an iphone 5 even close to the release date. Release date iphones are for the fanatics it takes a month or two for the general public to get their hands on one. So you can just pick one up off eBay in a month or two after release it buy one new then activate it to your account.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea screw this im going to buy the white iphone4 on contract and break it and just sell it later. I mean unlocked white iphone 32 GB goes for at least $500. I would buy it for $300 and approx $150 for breaking the contract. Yea... I mean. Okay time to tell my brother to go buy it.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You want unlimited data. I'm not sure if Verizon actually thought about what they are doing, but charging the same price for an unlimited plan and 2GB plan is ridiculous. I'm not sure how they are going to convince people to get off their unlimited plan.

Buy this phone and activate it with unlimited data. When a new iPhone comes out, then you'll still have unlimited data :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...101038&cm_re=cdma_pixi-_-75-101-038-_-Product

Or if you don't want to pay so much for a new phone, then buy a open boxed one for $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1038R&cm_re=cdma_pixi-_-75-101-038R-_-Product

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That is actually something I am thinking about doing, buying the Pixi Plus to lock in the unlimited data. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying iPhone 4 now and paying full price for the 5.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You definitely want to do it. Maybe go with the open boxed one if you don't plan to keep it for a phone. (which I assume not).

10. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait. I cant break contract on the iphone 4 right?...
    Gosh, nevermind then. I guess I will have to wait for the iphone 5 since i am out of the US until sept... and only my brother can make a contract currently.
    He lives in SF and I live in LA, and he will have to break his contract later this year so I dont want everything messed up.
    Whatever I guess I cant have the unlimited then :/ might think of going att rather than verizon.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

ETF is $325, not $150

12. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That was my train of thought last week, I just wasn't sure if Verizon was going to allow that. Now we know.

I also love webOS, but I wouldn't buy the new Pre. I suppose this is the best way to go. I was worrying about the money issue if I were to go the route of buying iPhone 4 with upgrade, then selling it to get iPhone 5.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can break the contract, provided you pay the ETF which starts at $325.
    Ask your brother to buy the phone I have provided in the links, and tell him to activate it. Since you are using your own hardware, you won't be in a contract. Come September, you'll be able to buy iPhone 5 for $199/$299 and still have unlimited data.

They don't care. Just do it before July 7th.

I wish they had a GSM Pixi for $50 bucks. I would buy it in a heartbeat, just to play around with it. It's probably a nice backup phone anyways.

15. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the data plan is kept separate even if my brother were to terminate his contract prematurely? (we have a family plan)
    and would I be able to keep it if I moved from a Berkeley based VZW to a LA based VZW?
    I dont want the hassle to make my brother go switch things around in the next 2 months if I wont be able to keep the unlimited after he breaks our family plan in one year.

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Thanks! You just saved me a whole lot of trouble, I really did not want to be spending $600+ on a phone.

Any reason why the Verizon Pixi is so cheap? I remember there being a few-day sale on it, is that why? I really do like webOS, but it's missing some crucial apps and the like that I would need. Also with this, I'd get to test out having a smartphone on the Verizon network and be able to have data on the go. Currently not on a data plan, obviously.

Would I be good going with the open box version, then? I'm familiar with Newegg, but I haven't ordered from them before.

17. tp1 macrumors newbie

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused with what you are asking. Perhaps you could rephrase it.

Let me first ask you, do you have a Verizon line right now?
    If yes, then all you need to do is activate the Palm Pixi by calling Verizon, or doing it online and adding the $30 data plan (which it should do automatically).

If you don't have a Verizon account, tell your brother to buy the Palm Pixi, go to a Verizon store, and add a line to the account. Or you can just create a whole new account. Since you have the hardware, you don't need to sign a contract. That means you'll be able to get the iPhone 5 for $199/$299.

Verizon is national, so it really wouldn't be a big deal if you moved to Maine, Hawaii or a few miles from where you currently are. (if that's what you were asking?)

If I completely misunderstood you, please let me know.

I'm actually surprised the Pixi is really cheap too. It's been at that price for a while though. webOS is worth trying out, but not worth keeping as a primary device IMO. Since you are only planning to use the Pixi for a few months until the latest iPhone, I would go with an open box model. More than likely, someone just opened the box, didn't like it, and returned it. I doubt that someone threw off a cliff and returned it to Newegg. It's really up to you. But like I said, since I wouldn't be planning to use the phone for more than a few months, I'd go with the open boxed model. You might be missing some paperwork or basic packaging stuff (like wrappers and foam) but you'll get the phone, charger, and battery which is all that you need.

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Exactly. As I said, there are quite a few apps I use on a daily basis that I would be missing out on. As much as I would like to have a Pre 3, the iPhone tops it in regards to what you can do on it.

I was curious as to where I'd order the Pixi from, but Newegg sounds like my best bet from what you said. Thanks.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I can vouch for Newegg as I've ordered many things from there. Their shipping is very fast so I wouldn't choose express or any of that other nonsense. You'll definitely get it by July 7th. Newegg is probably your cheapest place to get it from. You certainly won't find an open box one anywhere else, since that's exclusive to Newegg.

EDIT: Get this: http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plu...AC10/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1308794004&sr=8-5

It's only 8 bucks more than the open box one at Newegg. Be careful though, it's coming from a third party. It shouldn't be a problem, but you definitely need that before July 7th. I can't imagine them taking that long for shipping, but you never know.

21. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, first of all. I am currently in Mexico. Thus my inability to go to a VZW store.
    I dont have a VZW line since I just moved to LA for college from chicago.
    Problem is, I wont be in time before the deal closes.
    Also, my brother is in a contract to his iphone, and I was thinking of adding a line to HIS contract in order to make it a family plan and make it cheaper. But, since he has to leave next year for international purposes, he will break his unlimited contract he is in. So I dont want that affected.

You know what? I will just tell him to open up a new contract under my name and his address and I will just switch it to my address and to LA once I get over there.

22. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm not really concerned about ordering open box from them, especially if they cover it should something go wrong. Newegg it is. I guess I should order it ASAP then.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Newegg is good. They'll take care of you if there's a problem.
    And yeah, the Pixi is no Palm Pre 3 (actually HP Pre 3 :p ) but for $40, it's almost hard to complain. I'm sure it can do the basic smartphone apps like email, Facebook, twitter, browsing the web, etc.

It's really important to lock in that unlimited data considering it is the same exact price as the 2GB plan that they are gong to offer. Verizon is being really stupid on that one.

24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I see myself as a heavy data user, so yeah I want to lock in the unlimited. And for $40 or so plus 3 months of data? Sounds like a good deal.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Lines under one account work independently of each other.
    In other words, your brother has 1 line under his account right now.
    Ask him to order the Pixi, go to the Verizon store (ask your brother to go to a Verizon store), and add a line to his account (with your Pixi). This will not affect his line, and he will still be able to cancel it by paying the ETF for his phone. His ETF would be no different whether you added a line to his account or if you didn't. Once he cancels his line, the whole account gets transformed into a individual plan instead of a family plan (Makes sense, right?).
    Then I believe you will be the owner of the account (well you're going to need to call Verizon to transfer the account ... or whatever Verizon has to do ... but you'll be fine).