iPhone 5 - Wrong Time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RangeMaster619, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RangeMaster619 macrumors regular

So since getting my iPhone 5 on its release date this problem has come up a couple of times. First time, I was hiking at about 9 am and when I checked my phone to see the time it said 1030. This morning, I was almost late for work when my gf woke me up and asked me if I forgot to set my alarm for 6am. My phone said it was 1930 hours. I turn the phone off, and then back on the problem seems to self correct.

As for the settings, I double checked. It is set to “Set Automatically” date and time.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. austin9350 macrumors newbie

I've had this happen also. It's happened 4 or 5 times now. On mine it jumps ahead approximately 2.5 hours, which is strange because if it was jumping to the wrong time zone it would be off by exactly x hour(s).
    This has only happened since I got my iPhone 5, never saw this with the 4S.

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

Can I suggest you both post your carrier and state? Maybe there's a link...

4. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

5. austin9350 macrumors newbie

On Verizon in SC. One other possible related thing, the OP mentioned "19:30" hours, so I'm assuming their phone is on military/24hr time. Mine is also, doesn't seem like it should cause a problem but maybe there is a bug that is related somehow.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Check your regional settings. European countries use military time almost exclusively when displaying the time on a digital clock. US, Asia, and Australia use plain old 12 hour time.

7. austin9350 macrumors newbie

Mine came set to 12 hour time, I set it to 24 hour time (I've done that with phones/watches as long as I can remember).

8. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

Settings were on military time and was correctly locating my time zone. I have since disabled military time just in case.

9. austin9350 macrumors newbie

Oh and if it does it again, toggling airplane mode resets it to the correct time after a couple seconds - I'm assuming it pulls the time from the cell tower when it reconnects (just threw that out since its faster than restarting the whole phone).

10. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea. If it happens again I will keep that in mind.

11. jkeekij macrumors regular

Happening here in KS on Verizon. It happens almost daily, and all of the time settings are correct. I have toggled the settings and all results are the same. The wife gets errors trying to send texts saying that the time is wrong, and thats when she notices it. A reboot fixes it as noted above, but that shouldn't have to happen.

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

This is happening to me as well, on Verizon in Hawaii. I have turned time auto-update on and off, changed to military time and back, reset network settings, and reset location and privacy settings. Still happens multiple times/day. It's very frustrating. I'm doing a full restore today, if it still has issues, I am going to the Apple store for an exchange.

13. austin9350 macrumors newbie

I actually tried wiping the phone and setting up as a new phone rather than restoring from backup. Took several hours to set everything up again, and it did not fix the problem.

14. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

That's not encouraging. I'm really frustrated with it, iMessage refuses to work when my time is not synced to Apple's time. It also makes the phone completely unreliable with alarms in the morning.

15. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

So it happened again to me today. I tried turning the airplane mode on and off but that didn't help. I had to restart my phone. I thought a complete restore would fix it but I guess not. I took a picture of two iPhone next to each other and will take it to apple this evening to show them. Not only was the time off, so was the date, by about a month.

Attached Files:

16. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I know everyone in this thread is with Verizon. Did any of you do an upgrade or are you all new customers? I'm wondering if it's a sim card issue. I'm a new customer and had a different number ported to the phone/sim card after I activated it, now when I restore it tries to use an Apple ID I've never seen or used before.

17. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

I am a new customer. Ported my number from AT&T.

18. austin9350 macrumors newbie

I'm an existing customer, been with Verizon several years.

19. austin9350 macrumors newbie

I'm very curious what you will hear from Apple. I asked one of the sales people at my local Apple store and he hadn't heard of the issue, but the Genius Bar was booked up for hours so I didn't get to ask them about it.

20. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I'm curious as well. I have a feeling they will say they've never heard of the issue but will agree to replace the phone anyway.

21. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yep it did it again after restoring for me too. Sounds like I'm also headed to the Apple Store tonight.

22. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

In settings, select your proper time zone rather than "automatic". Automatic works for people traveling through time zones and the iPhone 5 will change to whatever zone the person happens to be in, based on GPS. This might be causing some of you problems. Mine's working fine, but I have it on PDT rather than "automatic".

23. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not just changing time zones, it is more than 12 hours off, so unless my GPS shows me someplace in Europe, it is not that. Also, the date shows last month.

24. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Have you tried a hard reset? When lots of apps and activity occurs, sometimes the devices get "confused." Worth a try ... press/hold power & home button at same time until white apple shows up. Let go" and it will restart.

Often this will take care of a random issues and actually should be done periodically, whenever a lot of major activity has taken place. Random weirdness often is cured by this.

25. RangeMaster619 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I did try the hard-reset previously. Prior to the restore.