iPhone 5 (Your Opinion)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ftkfriendlyfire, May 16, 2011.

1. ftkfriendlyfire, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

ftkfriendlyfire macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I'm new here and just wanted to get everybody's opinion on what I should do. My contract is up and I'm a mac freak. I want to get the iPhone but from what I read it's up in the air as to when there will be a new iPhone (June? July? August? September? November? ...)

Should I wait and see what/if there will be a new iPhone soon or buy the iPhone 4?

2. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Wait until WWDC. Usually the iPhone is announced there, and if they don't mention the iPhone 5 then i guess we'll be seeing an iPhone in September. So then you can make your decision.

3. Ethere macrumors member

My upgrade with AT&T is up as well, and I'm definitely waiting to WWDC to see what they announce. So far all rumors point to a September release of the iPhone 5 (4S). I'm waiting till then because I'm fed up to the brim with Gingerbread. I'm longing for some good iOS flavor again.

4. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I'm still using a 3GS. I wanted to upgrade this summer, but even though my phone is running slower & slower every day, I am going to hold out. Even if the phone is released in the Fall, if you get one now, you will regret it when the new one comes out in a few months.

5. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I would just hold on to your current phone until the next iPhone comes out. Worst case scenario, the next iPhone update will be similar to the iPhone 3G -> 3G S update, which still wasn't too bad.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The iPhone 5 will be released with 100% certainty between June 28 and September 27. If you wait until WWDC we can narrow the window further. No mention means August 26 - September 27.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

100% certainty? You don't want to even hedge a bit with the 4S rumour? reeeeally?

8. macftw95 macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same position, using a 3GS at the moment, hanging out for the 5. If it's July, can't wait! If it's September, who cares? Apples products are worth waiting for 100%. I'm very interested to see what Apple has changed, and has to offer, seeing as their is so many rumours out there at the moment! :apple:

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Got a one year old 3GS here and will wait until a June announcement. If we hear nothing, then it's going to be a LONG wait. Not sure what I'll do then. May pick up a used ip4.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have had a 3GS since launch and am currently waiting for the next iPhone as well. Whenever Apple decides to launch their next iPhone is when I'll get it. In the meantime I am happy with my 3GS. Still a great little phone. =]

11. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

I'm still rockin' the 3G. I'm holding out for the 5.

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well beginning of September is only 3 months after June. So that's not very long. Plus, it would make less sense to get an iPhone 4 then.

13. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The iPhone 5 will be announced in early September. There is no way it's being announced in a few weeks at WWDC. Given that all rumors point to a spec bump versus a complete redesign, I say buy yourself an iPhone 4 now.

14. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Well considering I have an iPhone and haven't been without one before,
    I couldn't really function without one...

I suggest getting the 16 GB iPhone 4 right now, then if you have any lines that have an expired contract;

Sell the iPhone 4 in order to buy the new iPhone.

15. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Like one of the many holding hold for the WWDC to see whats going to be released. Ive got an upgrade around that time, so hoping for big things.

We all know an iPhone is going to be announced at the WWDC. Whether its the 4S or 5, im not sure. But lets face it, :apple: is beginning to drop behind. Android phones are already slicker, faster and even cheaper. I really do hope :apple: pulls their finger out, adds flash, a better camera and maybe 4G network capability. Im not sure a bigger screen will do much, but who knows.

With the release of the White 4 just afew weeks ago, I find it hard to believe that :apple: would just release a 0.5 or S version to close. If so, I truly believe :apple: will go the route of Nokia in the Smart phone runnings and be a "hasbeen"!

16. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

I would tend to disagree, if you want an iPhone. You may as well wait afew weeks just to see what is said. You never know, we could all be wrong.

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

With all due respect, you are totally wrong on a few fronts here.

For starters, the iPhone is not getting Flash. Not now, and I'm guessing, not ever.

Secondly, Apple won't release a 4G iPhone unless it can produce a model that has equal to or better battery life than the current iPhone rocking 3G. I'm confident a 4G iPhone comes in 2012, not this fall.

Lastly, there is zero chance of the next iPhone being announced at WWDC. This has been reported universally by countless respected tech journalists. WWDC will focus on iOS 5 (which debuts in the fall) and Lion. Period. Not a new iPhone. The new iPhone will be announced in September (along with new iPods).

If OP wants to wait 3 weeks just for confirmation, so be it, but again, there is no way we are seeing a new iPhone in early June.

18. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

IMO, your speculation is just as good as anyone else's. Apple is most likely keeping their cards much closer to their chest than they historically have about a new iPhone model. After all the debacle that was the iPhone 4 leak, you can bet they won't let any details out to anyone. The only way we knew about the new model was the lost disguised prototype last year. I highly doubt their doing out-of-house testing for a new one.

My opinion? It would be silly for anyone, any year to purchase a new iPhone in May. You just never know what's around the corner every June with Apple.

19. outlawarth macrumors regular

To be honest, we all know the journalists/bloggers/analysts have been wrong in the past on more than one occasion. Witness the iPad 2 "delay".

The point is, we don't know what will happen in June. It may well be that the new iPhone will not be announced like you say. But I would still wait for WWDC to see what happens. That's all. I would not buy any phone (as great as it still is) this late in its' cycle.

20. Exhumed macrumors member

Analysts and bloggers create more hype by saying "The iPhone 5 is going to SUCK and you're all going to have to wait for it!!" Notice the ratio of positive hype to negative. Has there been a bad iPhone released yet? I didn't even pay attention to the specs of smartphones until about the time the iPhone 4 was released. If there was a faster smartphone out during the time of the iPhone 3G, I wasn't aware of it, because every Verizon touch screen phone wouldn't respond until .7 seconds after pressing your finger to the screen.

21. ftkfriendlyfire thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to do what everybody else is doing right now that need a new phone and are considering an iPhone...wait and wait some more.

I just hope everybody is wrong and they release a new phone in July or something, because I'm in need of a phone. My flip is on the verge of death.

If they don't release this summer I'll get an iPhone 4.

22. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I respectfully disagree with everyone saying that speculation of no iPhone at WWDC is pure speculation. While that is technically true, if you've been following the journalist/iPhone machine for years now you know that more information has always been known about a future iPhone in the 2 or 3 weeks prior to release than what we have currently. More importantly, every journalist of merit is reporting that there will be no iPhone at WWDC. Every indication and rumor and report is that September will be the announcement.

OP, sure, you can wait. No harm in doing so. We are merely weeks away from WWDC. But I can say with great confidence that no new hardware is coming our way till September.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you don't have an iPhone now, I'd buy a new one now. If you are on a iPhone that it too slow for your needs (3GS shouldn't be a problem, really), then buy a new iPhone. If you have an iPhone thats good enough for what you are doing, then perhaps you may wait. If I didn't have my 3GS, I would have probably bought something new by now.

I would just buy now if I were you. The iPhone just came out in white. I don't think its going anywhere for a while based on the big deal Apple made about it. Don't waste time without your iPhone. Just go to the store tomorrow and buy it. You know if you are dying to get an iPhone 5, you could sell your 4, and buy a new one, taking a bit of a loss. Trust me, it would be worth the small loss to just buy it now. And likely, the iPhone 5 won't be too different from a iPhone 4, so you might not even upgrade at all.

And if you are on Verizon, you definitely want to lock in that unlimited data pack.

24. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

You're figuring that wrong though. From the beginning of June until late September (which is very likely the soonest you'll be able to get the iPhone 5) is 5 months. A very long time.

25. outlawarth macrumors regular

Here's the thing: I would still wait until September. For me the wait of mere 3, 4 months is worth knowing the next iPhone will last me a little longer that the current iP4 end/half of its' life one.

But to each his own.