iPhone 5???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perry245, May 10, 2011.

1. perry245 macrumors member

Hi so I haven't been on here for ages and I was thinking about buying the White iPhone 4! I was wondering if any one knows if apple are going to be releasing a new iPhone 5 at the end of June as I know in previous years apple usually release a new version at the end of June.

Has anything been leaked or are they not releasing one this year?

2. AsLongAsItsTech macrumors newbie

AsLongAsItsTech

No facts, but i heard they may release it in september, or at-least announce it. I mean I think they came out with the white iPhone 4 to hold apple fans over. until september..

3. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Yeah a lot of rumors point to september when Apple iPod event usually is.

4. iTeachMath macrumors regular

While you never know, all signs seem to point to September or later, probably when they roll out iOS 5.

I am holding onto my 3GS for as long as it will last. I think the white iPhone looks super cool, but I'm not buying 11-month old technology at the same price I could have bought it last year. I am also hoping that the iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called will have 64GB.

5. italeki, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

italeki macrumors regular

I'm comfortable with my White iPhone 4 and will not spend money on a 5. There should not be that much of an overhaul.

6. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

It is coming out in 2 days. Lines are forming now. Hurry up, and you might get a spot for the new iPhone 5.

7. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

Actually, it will be a major overhaul, otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for the delay. The form factor may not change but you can be sure it will have significant improvements over the iPhone4, especially a white one. lol
    - bigger screen
    - multi-touch back
    - liquid metal innards
    - antenna that works
    - change in home button
    - obvious speed, ram, battery life

This is likely the last major product announcement before Steve Jobs passes (unless iPad 3 is early). I doubt it will be ho-hum and delayed just to add the A5. :rolleyes:

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What? So they won't upgrade the phone too much because you won't spend money? That's stupid, they'll have to upgrade it significantly otherwise those who will spend money will spend it elsewhere.

9. iRach macrumors member

iRach

The reason for the delay? Working on getting the colour on the white iPhone 4 right, so they can release the white 5 alongside the black one.

10. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Wow, that's some trife speculation.

11. italeki macrumors regular

What do you mean Steve Jobs passing??? He's doing much better and will be fine. Regarding the iPhone 5, if it really will have all those enhancements, it will be a pricier phone. Hopefully people here are not complaining about the economy, for it appears most here are well off financially and with jobs.

12. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

Trife adj.
    1. much ado about nothing.

Do you just use words without knowing their meaning? Or do you think Jobs wouldn't want to see as much of his vision fulfilled before he dies?

Or are you being ironic like your nickname. lol :rolleyes:

13. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

Source? I think the fact he is on medical leave trumps your speculation that he is 'fine'. People who are passionate about what they do don't call in sick unless they are really sick.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Pretty high expectations for a product that just has a major overhaul a year ago... Keep dreaming for liquid metal and a multitouch back? Why would the back need a touch screen? Why a change in the home button?

15. LggN macrumors newbie

LggN

I have not heard much about the next iPhone in awhile, but I believe they are going to release the iPhone 4S before the iPhone 5. I could be wrong though.

16. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I have personally had problems with my home button (on multiple phones) and had to get them replaced

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

An iPhone 4S would be the iPhone 5, or 5th version of the iPhone.

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You're definitely in the minority there. How do you suggest they change or improve it?

19. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

Maybe the same way the solved the buttons on the MacBooks: remove the necessity for one. Sure the MacBooks still have one, but compressing the physical button is not the only way to click.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The problem with removing the physical button of the home button has to do with troubleshooting and resets. What would happen if the whole thing froze up and none of the buttons were responding. Having one physical button is always important to have for never fail resets and DFU mode.

21. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

I'm waiting for the one guy to come in here and post like 50 links to other threads like he always does.

22. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I agree with you that there needs to be a physical home button. But on the other hand there needs to be a multitouch way to get to the home screen. I jailbreak my old iPhone 3G only for the ability to touch the top of the screen to take me to the home screen.

Apple has to give the OPTION of more customization (on this and many other fronts). It wouldn't make the phone more complicated or less intuitive for the "lay" user if the gestures are optional and default turned off...

23. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

Regarding the multi-touch back, no matter how you hold your phone your fingers are always on the back. The back can be utilized for scrolling and for games. With games now you cover a good portion of the screen. Seems obvious. Apple pushing the bumpers vs a full back cover also supports this.

The iPhone 3GS was a 'delay' while they ironed out the new design for the 4. The white iPhone4 is the current holdover. There is no reason to delay the 5 until September if all they are going to do is throw an A5 in there. They are waiting to perfect or scale up something new. This is a big release for Jobs.

24. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

+1 for the 'holdover' theory

25. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

My point was, stop trying to be 'speculative, controversial message-board poster'. It's petty, and there's no reason for speculating when someone is going to die in a topic when someone asked when a product is being released.

Back to the topic...Being that it was common for each iPhone to be released in June, it's still a possibility that a new model will come along this June as well. There have been tons of reports stating that Apple would wait until Septembers media event to release it, but one can also think that after all the leaking and controversy of the iPhone 4 (i.e. Gizmodo's scandal), they might just be keeping things very tight on location.

Supposed parts have been leaked from manufactures for a new model, much like previous models. The only concrete proof we had of a new model last year was when that test model was left in that bar.