iPhone 5c experiment deemed a failure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billycuth, Sep 15, 2014.

1. billycuth macrumors 6502a

So, with the new iterations being announced and soon to be released, I realized that there is no "lower end" device available this go around...

I'd imagine if the 5c was more successful, you might have seen 3 versions of the phone - the 6, 6+ and 6c or something like that. But no such thing. No $99 phone (aside from the previous generation which was always the case)...

Even the 5c, which was essentially a 5 with some upgrades, represented a value proposition over just simply getting a $99 iphone 5.

I guess Apple decided that the experiment which was the 5c was not worth it this go around. I think that means that ship has sailed and don't expect it to come back.

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

3. Batman89 macrumors 6502

It can't be called a "failure" per se because it sold very, very well, but the greater point you're making is correct.

Apple will move away from the 5C and focus on premium smartphones for the foreseeable future.

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Probably it's because the "c" version was introduce in the "s" cycle
    I reckon apple would bring the c version again with iPhone 6s next year

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5c experiment deemed a failure?

The iphone 6 is the "lower" end model, the 5c of today, just not plastic.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

5c was a premium phone. It sold for the same amount as a Samsung Galaxy S line of phone and they sold more of them and that's with outdated specs. Hardly a failure if you ask me. They are still keeping it around.

7. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Crazy expensive for a 'budget' phone. Then if you pay all that cash for it, you feel a bit shortchanged that you've got what's considered to be a 'budget' phone.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

That's what everyone who got a 5s and is not eligible for an upgrade keeps telling themselves.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The point is the two phone at one time release strategy was in fact a success. That is why Apple is doing it again.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

agreed

11. Downs2011 macrumors regular

I think it may have something to do with the 5 and 5s being so similar, the 5c sold a lot more than the 5 would have if they would have kept it around for the same price. Teens wanted them because of the colors which the white/black iPhone 5 models would have never done. Don't get me wrong, I had the 5 and I'm currently using the 5s and would definitely say it's a reasonable upgrade. But Apple basically sugar coated the 5 with colors(and added a "c") and sold millions more of year old hardware with no effort. Also, they saved money with the plastic vs aluminum build. 5c = success in my eyes, at least for Apple.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The iPhone 5C did very well. But I don't see Apple releasing 3 different versions of a new iPhone. Logistically, I don't think that would work very well. They're already having issues with 2 different models.

13. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

iPhone 6 is not the 5c of today, if it was, then it would have the old 'A7' processor, similar camera as 5s, similar GPU and would start at 99$, not 199$.

Instead iPhone 6 has the same CPU, GPU as the 6+, and the starting price point is the same as the 5s was last year and not the 5c.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The whole point of the 5c may have been to get to this point, where they could make a 4" phone cheap enough for the $0 price point.

15. mantan macrumors 68000

And I think there is still a market for it. Parents aren't looking to drop $650-850 for their kids to get a phone in the unsubsidized word. I see 'hand me downs' and used phones becoming more popular.

If the 5c at $350-$400 would have been in the sweet spot for most parents to consider a new Apple device over a used device.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. The 5S takes the price point of the 5C. The 5C slides down to 4S price point. The iPhone 6 is a flagship phone w/ same price points as always except for the early months of the original iPhone.

17. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

I had a Note 3 and I switched it for the 5c.

My ecosystem was well knit together with :apple: products, so when I introduced a Samsung device even the most asinine things took 3-4 steps to do.

I like the 5c but I wish I would have stayed with my 5 until now, the release of the 6.

18. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

How do you have 2 flagship phones? There can only be 1 flagship, the iphone 6 Plus.

Anything below the iphone 6 Plus is the "lower" end model.

19. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

If that's true then they wouldn't need to build the 5C; just keep the 5 around.

20. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

My point was that is was the"lower" end model, specs aside.

21. maflynn, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 5c has been very popular, though it got off to a slower then anticipated start.

We'll have to wait and see if the "experiment" is a failure by seeing future models rolled out.

btw, I love my 5c

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

My mother absolutely loves her 5C.

I don't think it was a failure at all. In fact it's still occupying the "low end phone" position.

The iPhone 5S was kept around for people who want the old screen size. This keeps the size available without having to design an "iPhone 6 Minus". The 5C is now the "budget phone".

Next year we will probably get the iPhone 6S, then a "6C" to be the budget phone, and so on.

23. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I don't really agree with this. Rather than lower end, I think they are just marketed to different groups or to fill different needs. I got the 6+, but don't see the 6 as lower end.

24. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I think it's more likely we get a 5c with upgraded (5S) internals.

Then maybe a 6C alongside the iPhone 7.

25. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I don't think people understand the point of the c at all. Imagine if there was no 5c, and instead Apple kept around the 5. Then you'd have the 5 free on contract this year, with that level of finishing. Completely inappropriate for Apple's margins. Also, if there were some people who didn't mind the less features of the 5c, but still wanted the premium feel, they'd have to get the 5s. Otherwise, they could spend $100 less and get the 5; the 5c prevents that behavior. People think each product exists in it's own vacuum, but that's not reality. It's existence has an impact on buying decisions for other products.