iPhone 5c experiment deemed a failure?

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
So, with the new iterations being announced and soon to be released, I realized that there is no "lower end" device available this go around...

I'd imagine if the 5c was more successful, you might have seen 3 versions of the phone - the 6, 6+ and 6c or something like that. But no such thing. No $99 phone (aside from the previous generation which was always the case)...

Even the 5c, which was essentially a 5 with some upgrades, represented a value proposition over just simply getting a $99 iphone 5.

I guess Apple decided that the experiment which was the 5c was not worth it this go around. I think that means that ship has sailed and don't expect it to come back.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
It can't be called a "failure" per se because it sold very, very well, but the greater point you're making is correct.

Apple will move away from the 5C and focus on premium smartphones for the foreseeable future.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Probably it's because the "c" version was introduce in the "s" cycle
I reckon apple would bring the c version again with iPhone 6s next year

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
iPhone 5c experiment deemed a failure?

The iphone 6 is the "lower" end model, the 5c of today, just not plastic.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It can't be called a "failure" per se because it sold very, very well, but the greater point you're making is correct.

Apple will move away from the 5C and focus on premium smartphones for the foreseeable future.
5c was a premium phone. It sold for the same amount as a Samsung Galaxy S line of phone and they sold more of them and that's with outdated specs. Hardly a failure if you ask me. They are still keeping it around.

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Crazy expensive for a 'budget' phone. Then if you pay all that cash for it, you feel a bit shortchanged that you've got what's considered to be a 'budget' phone.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That's what everyone who got a 5s and is not eligible for an upgrade keeps telling themselves.
The point is the two phone at one time release strategy was in fact a success. That is why Apple is doing it again.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.

agreed

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
I think it may have something to do with the 5 and 5s being so similar, the 5c sold a lot more than the 5 would have if they would have kept it around for the same price. Teens wanted them because of the colors which the white/black iPhone 5 models would have never done. Don't get me wrong, I had the 5 and I'm currently using the 5s and would definitely say it's a reasonable upgrade. But Apple basically sugar coated the 5 with colors(and added a "c") and sold millions more of year old hardware with no effort. Also, they saved money with the plastic vs aluminum build. 5c = success in my eyes, at least for Apple.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
The iPhone 5C did very well. But I don't see Apple releasing 3 different versions of a new iPhone. Logistically, I don't think that would work very well. They're already having issues with 2 different models.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
iPhone 6 is not the 5c of today, if it was, then it would have the old 'A7' processor, similar camera as 5s, similar GPU and would start at 99$, not 199$.

Instead iPhone 6 has the same CPU, GPU as the 6+, and the starting price point is the same as the 5s was last year and not the 5c.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The whole point of the 5c may have been to get to this point, where they could make a 4" phone cheap enough for the $0 price point.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I think it may have something to do with the 5 and 5s being so similar, the 5c sold a lot more than the 5 would have if they would have kept it around for the same price. Teens wanted them because of the colors which the white/black iPhone 5 models would have never done. Don't get me wrong, I had the 5 and I'm currently using the 5s and would definitely say it's a reasonable upgrade. But Apple basically sugar coated the 5 with colors(and added a "c") and sold millions more of year old hardware with no effort. Also, they saved money with the plastic vs aluminum build. 5c = success in my eyes, at least for Apple.
And I think there is still a market for it. Parents aren't looking to drop $650-850 for their kids to get a phone in the unsubsidized word. I see 'hand me downs' and used phones becoming more popular.

If the 5c at $350-$400 would have been in the sweet spot for most parents to consider a new Apple device over a used device.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No. The 5S takes the price point of the 5C. The 5C slides down to 4S price point. The iPhone 6 is a flagship phone w/ same price points as always except for the early months of the original iPhone.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.
I had a Note 3 and I switched it for the 5c.

My ecosystem was well knit together with :apple: products, so when I introduced a Samsung device even the most asinine things took 3-4 steps to do.

I like the 5c but I wish I would have stayed with my 5 until now, the release of the 6.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
No. The 5S takes the price point of the 5C. The 5C slides down to 4S price point. The iPhone 6 is a flagship phone w/ same price points as always except for the early months of the original iPhone.

How do you have 2 flagship phones? There can only be 1 flagship, the iphone 6 Plus.

Anything below the iphone 6 Plus is the "lower" end model.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
iPhone 6 is not the 5c of today, if it was, then it would have the old 'A7' processor, similar camera as 5s, similar GPU and would start at 99$, not 199$.

Instead iPhone 6 has the same CPU, GPU as the 6+, and the starting price point is the same as the 5s was last year and not the 5c.

My point was that is was the"lower" end model, specs aside.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I think the 5c has been very popular, though it got off to a slower then anticipated start.

We'll have to wait and see if the "experiment" is a failure by seeing future models rolled out.

btw, I love my 5c

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My mother absolutely loves her 5C.

I don't think it was a failure at all. In fact it's still occupying the "low end phone" position.

The iPhone 5S was kept around for people who want the old screen size. This keeps the size available without having to design an "iPhone 6 Minus". The 5C is now the "budget phone".

Next year we will probably get the iPhone 6S, then a "6C" to be the budget phone, and so on.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
How do you have 2 flagship phones? There can only be 1 flagship, the iphone 6 Plus.

Anything below the iphone 6 Plus is the "lower" end model.
I don't really agree with this. Rather than lower end, I think they are just marketed to different groups or to fill different needs. I got the 6+, but don't see the 6 as lower end.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Aug 11, 2008
I think it's more likely we get a 5c with upgraded (5S) internals.

Then maybe a 6C alongside the iPhone 7.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I don't think people understand the point of the c at all. Imagine if there was no 5c, and instead Apple kept around the 5. Then you'd have the 5 free on contract this year, with that level of finishing. Completely inappropriate for Apple's margins. Also, if there were some people who didn't mind the less features of the 5c, but still wanted the premium feel, they'd have to get the 5s. Otherwise, they could spend $100 less and get the 5; the 5c prevents that behavior. People think each product exists in it's own vacuum, but that's not reality. It's existence has an impact on buying decisions for other products.