iPhone 5S, AppleCare+ or Squaretrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theanimala, Sep 20, 2013.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

Price is about the same, 4 accidental break fixes on the Squaretrade vs 2 on the AppleCare. Old searches I found were mostly related to AppleCare non+. Curious what are people are doing and if Squaretrade is a decent option.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Last I checked it is up to 4 breaks with Squaretrade.
    Important because you're never going to get to use all 4.
    Once they've paid the value of the phone they consider their contract fulfilled and you get nothing further.
    I'm not saying they're bad..... just saying that people should be very clear on what they're getting.

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I stick with AppleCare+. It's much easier to have it all done on the spot. Just my opinion.

4. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Guess depends if have an apple store in your area. With apple care can get much more quick help and sometimes a same day replacement if need be. Also depends if reselling phone as apple care can be transferred and looks better in the ad when selling.

Cant say its better money wise but sure nice convenience wise.

5. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. I have AppleCare+ on my one year old iPhone 5 and I haven't had to use it once. I do live close to several apple stores to boot. I was just wondering if I could save some money if Squaretrade would offer additional flexibility.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I tried to get Apple + on my iphone 5 that I got through verizon last year. Could not get the Apple telephone rep to sell it to me, even though the closest Apple store was 200 miles away. I tried to buy it the day the phone arrived. So ended up with Square trade.

7. Jsketch macrumors member

I 'Liked' squaretrade on facebook and got a coupon for a $89 two year plan vs the normal $124. Makes my decision a little easier.

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I intend on going to the Apple Store tomorrow and adding it onto the phone I'll be getting from Best Buy today.

Apple has already replaced my iPhone 4 under Applecare due to a bad home button, and they've serviced my iMac multiple times under its Applecare (with a total replacement one time), so I have few qualms with paying them for the excellent service they provide.

9. christof macrumors 6502

SquareTrade reimburses you for repairs at Apple. $89 is a no-brainer. And, for Verizon folks who need to purchase the phone full price to keep unlimited data, you can return the SquareTrade policy and receive a pro-rated refund.

10. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

11. Scuba629 macrumors regular

I like squaretrade. I get a new phone each year and they always refund me half of what I paid. This year im getting back $48 dollars and buying a new contract for $89. Can't be the protection and discounts.

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

AppleCare does the same thing.

13. Scuba629 macrumors regular

oh wow didn't know they refunded your the money. hmm I guess its a tad cheaper than. Bonus is Applecare gives you added phone support? Maybe takes better care of you in store?

14. christof macrumors 6502

Hm, I didn't realize that either. The AppleCare phone support is a nice option; however, I've typically relied on forums and Internet searches before just making an appointment directly with my local Apple Store Genius Bar.

15. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Grabbed the $89 coupon from SquareTrade. I don't really use Facebook, so I setup another account to avoid accidentally spamming friends and co-workers.

Had no idea they let you use Apple stores for repair and then reimburse, that's convenient if in a hurry. Plus, SquareTrade's deductible is only $49 compared to Apple's $79.

Also, I plan to upgrade in a year (AT&T Next Plan), so the pro-rated refund is really important with any plan.

16. Sofie macrumors newbie

I don’t use either; I use ProtectCELL for my iphone5 insurance. There is an unlimited amount of accidental breaks per year which was one of the main reasons I decided to go with them for my iphone insurance. I am not quite sure how the prices match up to Squaretrade or Applecare+ but I personally think ProtectCELL is an extremely reasonable price for a years’ worth of insurance. You can look into their insurance packages here: http://www.protectcell.com/Beyond-Cell-Phone-Insurance/iPhone.aspx

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Yes, with a low, low deductible (they call it Admin Fee) of only $150 per incident.
    :eek:
    I'll pass thanks.

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Here is Resellerratings site to read some reviews

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Protectcell_com

19. elemenoP macrumors newbie

Have you done this yourself and how did it work?

Thanks,
    eP

20. mobutt macrumors 6502

I did it, they reimburse you the money in like 2 days through paypal, really painless.
    Last month I called them a month after I got my phone replaced through the genius bar and they still reimbursed me.

21. Bag302 macrumors regular

I went with Squaretrade. 3 years for $130 for the 5s.

I plan on giving the phone to my kid once the iphone 6 comes out. So it will be nice having a warranty with a teenager.

22. tok macrumors member

tok

I'd suggest into looking into Securranty as well. I've been using them since my 4S, and their customer service has been excellent so far (I never broke my phone though yet, they just answered all my questions very promptly). They have a $0 deductible and there are 10% off coupons around the internet too.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Good ratings thus far.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Securranty_com

24. AJ007 macrumors newbie

AJ007

I've used Square trade on all my idevices. Ace's in my book. They have never done wrong by me nor the people I've referred, they do cross shipping and if you do have to pay for anything in the apple store they will refund you the same day. So if your phone goes swimming... you pay the $279 at the apple store and square trade will refund you ($279-$50 deductible) 229$ once you submit the receipt. And if you aren't happy with any of their repairs or service just let them know there customer service is great at making things right.

25. sk24iam macrumors regular

What happens with Squaretrade if your phone is stolen or lost?