Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njn007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Southeastern PA, USA
Alright guys, I finally got lucky.

After chatting online with Michelle from AT&T, a note was put onto my account to allow me to get the $449 pricing on the 20th- I will just have to camp at an AT&T store, not an Apple store (since Apple can't view account notes). Mission accomplished!! :D:D:D

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

After chatting online with Michelle from AT&T, a note was put onto my account to allow me to get the $449 pricing on the 20th- I will just have to camp at an AT&T store, not an Apple store (since Apple can't view account notes). Mission accomplished!! :D:D:D

Good luck!

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I'm extremely disappointed with AT&T right now...

I purchased the 5 on launch day and it is telling me to pay $649 unless I wait until September 29th, which will then get me an early upgrade at $449. It's 9 days and they won't budge... urghh :mad:

LOL, you know you can also wait 9 days right?

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Mine says "Congratulations! You are upgrade eligible. Check out AT&T Next which lets you upgrade to a new device every year with no upgrade fees."

Bought my 4S on launch day and waited for the 5S. :)

Same here!!

As tempting as it was, I completely skipped the iPhone 5 last year. I could have gotten it for the $449 early upgrade price at the time. But I would have had to sign new 2 year contract and it would've obviously meant shelling out the extra $250 to AT&T to do it.

I decided not to though, because of how unimpressed I was with iOS 6 and the fact that my 4S could still make use of all of its features anyway. As far as the bigger screen and LTE, I figured that I wouldn't be able to miss what I never had!

I had my mind set on the 5S since then, and now, especially with iOS 7, I can say that I'm glad I waited :)

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I called AT&T and they said they could override it so I could be eligible for the early upgrade on 9/22 but they didn't have pricing yet. I'm assuming $449, etc like last year.

BUT, I'd have to order over the phone from AT&T. Lame.

So in order to upgrade early and pay $449, you can't directly through Apple?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
So for those of us eligible for the 200 off after sept 15 will we have to pay $36 upgrade fee. If so might be better to pay the full price and get it unlocked and save the contract extension for the 6.

macster70

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
West of Boston
I just finished with a chat with a AT&T rep and she said that AT&T will not carry the Iphone 5s either online or in their stores on Sept. 20th. Just the Iphone 5c. See below.

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Sophia Thompson'
Gary XXXXXX: Hi Sophia
Sophia Thompson: Hi Gary! I'll be glad to help you with your Iphone 5s questions today! :)
Gary XXXXX: Thank you
Sophia Thompson: You are most welcome! :) Do you know that Iphone 5s will only be available on 09/20 at Apple Stores?
Gary XXXXXX: No I wasn't aware of that. I thought I could either order over the phone with At&T or go to one of the local AT&T stores. Like Ive done in the past.
Gary XXXXXX: So just the Apple store will be carrying the 5S
Sophia Thompson: Yes, that is correct.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
So for those of us eligible for the 200 off after sept 15 will we have to pay $36 upgrade fee. If so might be better to pay the full price and get it unlocked and save the contract extension for the 6.

You can get the $36 waived. I did last year through online chat- took 5 mins. Was easy.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I just finished with a chat with a AT&T rep and she said that AT&T will not carry the Iphone 5s either online or in their stores on Sept. 20th. Just the Iphone 5c. See below.

and the person I just spoke to said they will, I was not up for an upgrade until Sept 2014 and so I called and they will allow me to upgrade now. She said that since its not available yet to call them back on Sept 20 when they get the iPhone 5S and she will place my order on the phone (since they will allow me to upgrade now I must call back, I can not go into the store).

crazyskater52

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
To check upgrade with att dial: *639# and hit call.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch date as well and ATT shows my early upgrade is available 9/22. I called ATT and they told me that they can move up the date of upgrade to 9/20 on the day of launch, but I have to order over the phone and then they ship it out.

Does anyone know or have any experience with the ATT reps at the Apple store on launch date? Can they do this at the store? The ATT rep on the phone said he doesn't know.

So I went to the Apple store today and spoke to two people. One is my fiance's friend that has been working at the Genius Bar for 4.5 years and the other one was another employee. I asked the friend about this and he said that AT&T is always there and there shouldn't be any problems. He said that sometimes they've had problems on launch day with other customers that the rep won't budge, but about this case he thinks it's almost for sure they could do it. The ATT rep can call and work it out. The second guy I asked said that ATT is always there for launch and that the reps are always helping with the early upgrade and other problems. He also said he really doesn't see there being a problem with this situation. If anyone has any updated info about this, post here! Thanks.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013

This is still up to the individual store. I would call the Manager of the store to confirm and put a note on your account.

They "should" do the $449 upgrade but if it isn't showing online then it is still up to the Manager. ATT can call and ask nicely.. but it isn't 100%.

You would hate to wait in line to only be told... no... maybe next week when we slow down.

This is at the corperate store also.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I got the iPhone 5 last year at launch, so I was expecting to pay AT&T's earlier upgrade price, which was usually $200 less than full retail. However, I got conflicting dates depending on what method I used to check my eligibility.

If I did *639#, the text I received said I had to pay full retail or wait until September 2014 for an upgrade.

If I used the 'Check Eligibility' link on the Apple site, I see I can get an early upgrade on October 15th, 2013, which as I expected was $200 less than full retail.

But out of curiosity, I checked the Apple Store App which has an eligibility function, and it said I was able to get an early upgrade on September 15th, 2013, in time to buy the 5s at launch. I then called AT&T to see which date was correct and was assured September 15th is when I can get the early upgrade price.

I'll admit I enjoy getting a new device at launch, so this was good new. I hope this info helps others who might be in a similar situation.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch day too, but I'm getting the same exact conflicting dates.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
TS, this is what mine says when I call *NEW# :
"Congratulations! You are upgrade eligible. Check out AT&T Next which lets you upgrade to a new device every year with no upgrade fees."

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I purchased the 5 and am eligible? Anything to do with my FAN?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 57

iPhone3gPSU

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Looks like there won't be any issues waiting at an Apple store!

AT&T Agent: As per checking, yes, both of you are already eligible for an early upgrade. :) That means if you wait in line at the store on 09/20, you'll definitely get the iphone 5s! :) That will be with $250 early upgrade fee plus the discounted equipment price. ($250+ $199 = $449)
Me: And I won't have any issues at the Apple store. Doesn't have to be an AT&T store, correct?
AT&T: Yes, that is correct. :)
Me: Awesome. Thank you Sophia!

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
I got the iPhone 5 on launch day too, but I'm getting the same exact conflicting dates.

Same. Do you think the 9/15/13 $449 on Apple site/app will be honored by Apple online/in stores despite AT&T's 2014 crap on THEIR site?

Thanks! :)

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I purchased the 4S back on the release day and decided to skip the 5 and wait for the 5S. At the time, my upgrade eligibility from AT&T read...

Now if I dial *639# it reads...

Are you guys that waited for the 5S seeing the same thing?

Something seems fishy here. Definitely "Call" AT&T and dispute this error !.. I purchased my 4s in October and Zi have been eligible to upgrade both of my lines since May of this year...

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
i just bought the 5 on AT&T 3/24, so my 6 months is up 9/24. as of yesterday, i wasn't eligible for an early upgrade until 10/20 per apple.com. called AT&T and she said they could move it to 9/20, but i'd have to call AT&T to order and that they cant just change it in a system so i can do it through apple. today however i checked again on apple.com and was happy to see the date changed to 9/20. apple store app has that date as well. i think it is because i paid my 6th bill, so AT&Ts systems updated, making me eligible. that being said, AT&T's site and texts still say i qualify for nothing until 3/2014, but thats certainly not true. their upgrade options are below:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52345#fbid=l7qK0-Jqm26

after 6 months, early upgrade available.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Same. Do you think the 9/15/13 $449 on Apple site/app will be honored by Apple online/in stores despite AT&T's 2014 crap on THEIR site?

Thanks! :)

I talked to 2 AT&T reps and told them about the conflicting dates. Both checked their systems and reported to me that the September 15th, 2013 date was correct for an early upgrade. And as of a few minutes ago, both the Apple store app and Apple.com are showing the September 15th date as opposed to the Apple website showing October 15th.

Also, I was told that my account wouldn't reflect the September 15th early upgrade eligibility until the 15th.

I'm hoping they're correct!

UHFrank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Houston, TX
i upgraded to the 5 on launch day. On the apple store app, it says i can get the 5s for 449 on 15 of Sept. BUT on at&t's website i have to wait till 15 of Oct to get the 449 price. I dont know who to believe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.