Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
The ones I tried in the Apple store were SO fast compared to my 5. My 5S is being delivered today, but I'm scared to restore from my backup because I don't want bugs to carry over and make it slow again :( Sigh

Exactly what bugs do you think are going to be carried over by restoring your data on the new phone? This doesn't really make sense to me

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
But that means he would burn that upgrade and not have it available for iPhone 6.

Welp, 1) I already spent that "upgrade" on an S4 and have since went back to iPhone anyway and 2) I'd honestly have kept that upgrade for the iPhone 6. I like buying new milestone iPhones and not just the spec bump models.

My upgrade will be open next year. ;) I have 7 lines on my account and my parents don't care what phone they have.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I wanted to keep all of my texts with my wife as they started when we first met. I found a program, can't remember the name, that allowed me to export all my texts from her into a text document I keep on my laptop.

Phoneview does this perfectly. Maybe others but I have used this for years.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
If you have an upgrade open on your account though, it doesn't cost anything. Buy 5s, sell 5 for more than you just paid for the 5s, rinse and repeat (until my 4 that my dad is using dies.):D

But then you won't have an upgrade when 6 arrives. This is my quandary. Just exchanged 5 for 5s using outstanding upgrade. Don't see much difference in daily use at all. Still evaluating whether to keep or return. Fingerprint ID isn't as amazing as I thought it might be. Not that much difference from tapping a code. And apparently no more secure.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Yep, you gotta love parents who don't care about having the latest smartphone and are willing to give you their upgrade :D

I'm responsible for all 7 lines. My employer has a 20% discount, so I got my parents and my in-laws all on one plan. Everyone got new phones last year. My mom picked a 4S. I got a 5 and gave my 4 to my dad to keep his line open for this very reason. :)

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hmm, I don't feel like my iPhone 5S is that much faster than my iPhone 5. You don't really notice it that much except with things like launching the Camera , taking pictures in quick succession, or maybe playing a game like Infinity Blade III. It's faster yeah, but it's not something I'm blown away by. I guess because when I went from my iPhone 4 to 5 (skipping the 4S) it felt crazy fast but for this upgrade it's not really that noticeable. I was running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 though so maybe that's why I don't feel like it's that much faster ? I'm not saying that the 5S is slow or anything, it's actually really fast and never laggy, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel immensely faster than my iPhone 5. I still love my iPhone 5S though and all the other features, especially the improved camera.

Safari is much faster IMO. Scrolling pages in any app is also noticeable

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The iPhone 5 was actually the first iPhone I've ever had (since the 3g) that didn't feel slow by the time I replaced it. For most normal things I do so far, the 5s is not noticeably faster than the 5 - because the 5 never felt even slightly slow to me.

The only place where this is not the case is the burst mode in the camera which is much faster on the 5s and will be great with our kids.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Yes iPhone 5S is better than the 5. I don't see how that's a surprise.

But to everyone already sporting an iPhone 5 which runs everything just as smoothly (there's no UI lag with an iPhone 5, and loading times between the 5 and 5S haven't changed a whole lot), it'll take a lot more than a gimmicky fingerprint sensor and a piss colour variant to justify spending hundreds on "upgrading."

iPhone 6 is where most iPhone 5 users are going to start being interested. 5S is nothing new. Just slightly refreshed.

This thread is just the OP convincing himself that the hundreds were worth it. Double the real-life use performance? Lol no dude. It might be quite a bit faster in GPU benchmarks but in real life use they're very, very close. And by real life use I mean making calls, checking email, browsing the web.

To the contrary, sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something. I can't say I would ever go out of my way to tell someone not to buy something that I have not even used. Whereas, I am just reporting on my experience, as I actually have both handsets - in hand.

I have heard this same argument made for every single iphone after the original. Lag is android thing, so upgrades are never about 'lag'.

Ironically, this new 5S does indeed improve every single one of those points; especially the web browsing, as the pages render at close to desktop speed.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Restore from backup vs Start as new phone?

Looking forward to upgrading from my 4s to a shiny new Gold 5s when it finally arrives.

Was going to restore from my backup but the more I think about it I think I will start as a new phone.

Only got about three apps that I need the info from and they all backup to Dropbox so they should not be a problem.

I will just download apps as i need them I have loads right now that I don't really need.

Another thing is according to iTunes I have over a gig of "other" whatever that is so hoping to get more available space as well.

What are you all doing when you get your new toy?

Sh00tingStar

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I landed a 64gb Space Gray 5S on Saturday from the Apple store. I would have preferred a 32gb, but it was either 16 or 64, no 32's at the time. I could swap it for a 32gb during the first 2 weeks, but I think I'll just hang on to this 64gb model. I've been on a iPhone4 since it's release so this has been a HUGE upgrade for me. The speed boost alone was worth the upgrade, but the noise cancellation is substantial, and the rest of the stuff is much appreciated. I could not be happier!

I owned an HTC One for about a week, but while I loved the hardware, I hated the Android OS. BTW, I did update to iOS7 on my iP4 and it ran surprisingly well.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
To the contrary, sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something.
Except I bought one and returned it, but ok I'll play along.

Ironically, this new 5S does indeed improve every single one of those points; especially the web browsing, as the pages render at close to desktop speed.
The improvement is in the fractions of a second. You want to blow your money on such a minor "upgrade," go for it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
To the contrary, sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something. I can't say I would ever go out of my way to tell someone not to buy something that I have not even used. Whereas, I am just reporting on my experience, as I actually have both handsets - in hand.

I have heard this same argument made for every single iphone after the original. Lag is android thing, so upgrades are never about 'lag'.

Well said.

We tend to see this alot around upgrade time. MOST people see the upgrades/enhancements for what they are (which in this case are pretty substantial), but there are always a few people who just want to be contrary for the sake of being contrary...

Either that, or mommy wouldn't upgrade their 5 because they "just" got it less than a year ago, and they need reassurance because they no longer have the latest and greatest. OR they simply don't have the upgrade available and don't want to plunk down full price for an S model.

The 5S most assuredly IS just an evolution of the 5. That being said, it is a HUGE leap forward, and while you might not ever NEED a V10 engine in your daily driver when the V8 you have runs just fine, it sure is fun to stomp on the gas and torch the poor saps from time to time.

Geekbench3 scores has the 5S nearly lapping the 5. The 5 is fast. The 5S is stupid fast.

I'm part of a generation that would trade it all for a little more. I also have the disposable income. Why WOULDN'T I upgrade is the real question?

Enjoyed the 5. Heck I've enjoyed them all.

But I really enjoy having the best they make. The 5 is no longer that...

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
5s improvements over the 5:

- A7 processor twice as fast as the A6-Slight Improvement
- Fingerprint sensor for easy secure unlocking-So
- Longer battery life - Not proven yet, Faster CPU=more battery usage
- Dual LED flash-Ok, Maybe an improvement
- Gold color option-Yuck, not an upgrade
- 64 bit iOS-So
- Improvements to camera quality-Marginal, most will never notice
- Slow motion video capture-Good feature, not worth using upgrade for
- Facetime HD camera-Meh, no one wants to see your face in HD
- M7 coprocessor-Ok
- Free iWork / iLife-Nice feature
- More LTE bands packed in for international travel- Not used by 95% of users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.