iPhone 5S -> iPhone 6 - Impressions? Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmw16, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

I'm sure there's a decent number of you here that made the switch from the 5S to a 6. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I had originally planned to keep my 5S since I'm not in my upgrade window (for another year :eek: ). But I recently got a promotion at work and as a result I'm eligible for a company phone (or they'll pay $500 towards a personal phone). So now I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an iPhone 6.

Generally I'm very happy with my 5S. I like the size and all of that jazz. The only real issue is I got the 16GB version and now that we have a baby at home the phone fills up very quickly with pictures and videos which is annoying. And I do like having new gadgets.

If I did get one it would be a 64GB. I won't make the 16GB mistake again.

2. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I would do it if the company is paying for it but to tell the truth if you were using IOS8 there isn't any difference in the use of the phone. It's all physical being thinner and a larger screen. It's a nice upgrade.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I went from a 16GB 5s to a 64GB 6 and for me it was absolutely worth it. I didn't have an upgrade so I sold the 5s and bought the 6 outright.

I really enjoy the extra screen size and better camera. But the best thing is now having 64GB. I got married in May and my wife and I have been traveling a bit. The extra storage will be great for taking photos/videos.

If you can afford it, I say go for it. If not, the only downside is the lesser storage in your 5s.

4. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

If you desire a bigger screen then either the 6 or 6+ is the way to go. Also, if you're wanting to use Apple Pay it will only be offered on the 6 series. The lesser series do not have NFC.

5. FoxD macrumors 6502

Do it, the screens on both 6 models look much better than the 5s. Contrast ratios on both are so much better.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Went from 5S to 6+. No regrets. I did go from 64GB to 128GB as well.

7. techspin macrumors 6502a

Coming from a 5S, the 6 is definitely worth the upgrade. To me the screen, the form factor, and the battery life are the biggest upgrades. The 5S is no slouch, but there is no discernible lag/stutter with iOS8 on the 6. TouchID is also improved, especially since some of the early production 5S units were problematic. 6+ is also verry nice depending on how you value screen size/portability. Considering your company is willing to contribute 500 and the fact you can sell your 5S for a net profit, I think it's an easy decision.

8. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Me too.

Sold 64GB 5s for $450... picked up 128GB 6+ at the $499 upgrade.

Love it.

9. dmw16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. Between being able to sell my 5S and getting some help from the company it seems worth it, if nothing else the 16GB to 64GB is a biggie.

10. cornerexit macrumors regular

Not to me. I would sell/upgrade to a 5s with more storage, 64gigs. Having had mine a few weeks now, I wouldn't upgrade. The 5 form is really good.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm many weeks into my 6 and mulling the switch back right now actually.

Just feeling like getting money back off the table.

The extra screen size, for me, causes as many problems as it "solves". Sometimes it's very nice to have a little bigger screen, but then other times the phone being bigger is a step backwards (for me that is).

Just sort of "meh" for me overall.
    6 is a super device - But so was the 5s is the thing.

I really believe it's about what size device you want more than anything else being offered in this round of upgrade.

12. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I honestly don't know why some people went from the 5S to the 6. It's a very small upgrade and the 6 doesn't have any special new features like the 6 Plus. This is why I don't upgrade until every 2 years. Upgrades are much more significant at that point.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That's just how I'm feeling.
    Not sure why I upgraded either - especially after a few weeks of clarity on it all.

New devices are always exciting....but after that has subsided....here I am.

14. deviant macrumors 65816

the screen alone is worth it. IF you have money.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yeah, but everything has to be given the asterisk of "do you want a physically larger device".

...I'm finding, that after some time with the 6, my personal answer is likely "no, I don't want a physically larger phone".

Really wishing they'd done a 4" iPhone 6 (along with the 4.7 & 5.5)

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I actually purchased the 6 last week since a local Apple Store had it in stock. I used it for two days and decided that I preferred my 5s, so I returned the 6. The biggest thing for me other than the larger screen is that many apps still are not optimized for the larger screen size. I am completely happy with my 5s. I may eventually purchase the 6 down the line once more apps are updated, but I would have no problem waiting for the 6s.

To the OP, if your company is paying for the phone, then get it. Otherwise maybe look at purchasing a 32GB 5s if you don't really need/want the bigger screen size.

17. deviant macrumors 65816

the 6 is small. the 6 plus is huge, yes, but the 6 is alright. i received 6 plus and wanted to return it the exact same day, but decided to give it a try and after 3 days i'm sold on it. the 6 is even easier to get used to. 4,7 is normal today. there are no smaller phones anymore. the sooner you adapt the better, cause phones will only become bigger. especially if you want the latest and greatest.

18. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I went from a 64GB 5s to the 128GB 6 and I love it. The size of the screen is EXACTLY what I've been pining for.

I much prefer the squared off edges of the 5s but I'm sure there will be cases available soon that will give the rounded edges of the new 6 the same feel as the 5s.

Well worth the upgrade.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That is complete speculation.
    Unless human hands somehow keep growing, quickly, I'm not sure why anyone would think phones would just "keep getting bigger".

----------

Good.
    And many of us are finding that we are the exact opposite.

It's all good.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I wasn't planning on getting the 6. but when I held a display model at the store, I really liked how it felt in my hand. The rounded edges and thinner shape made it fit my hand better than the 5S, so despite the bigger screen, it doesn't feel larger than the 5S. I always needed two hands to use the iPhone, so the fact that the 6 is too big to use one-handed isn't an issue for me, either. But what really tipped the scale for me is the zoom mode. I have bad eyesight, and the zoom mode makes the screen so much more easier to see. It makes the 6 a HUGE upgrade over the 5S, for me.

On the other hand, if you have good eyesight and like to use the phone one-handed, then no, the 6 is probably not worth the cost of upgrading.

21. itjw macrumors 65816

Because I can.

I actually agree it was the smallest "generation change" iPhone (not counting S models of course) in history. There are a lot of little things that I value (AC wireless for one), and nothing wrong with the 5S per se, but why would you do anything that's not a "need" unless you want to and you can?

Even if there was a compelling reason/change, no one "needs" to upgrade thier cell phone. It's a luxury item. As a luxury item, most people like having the "latest and greatest". Not all, I agree, but most.

I bet if you went to the welfare office, probably a third of the people there would have an iPhone 6 or +. It is what it is.

22. deviant macrumors 65816

They will eventually stop, of course, but you ain't gonna see another 4 inch top apple smartphone. So enjoy your 5S until you can. And then you'll just buy the iPhone 6S 4,7 inch next year, like everybody else.

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Maybe, but nobody can say that for sure.

I could very easily see them making something in the 4.3" range to satisfy this.

That said, the 4.7" screen isn't the issue for me, but rather the size of the entire device.
    Who knows - Perhaps they'll shrink the bezels some (or go non symmetrical and do the top one smaller) and get the physical device size down while retaining 4.7".

Lots of things are possible, especially if Apple has data telling them there is money to be made in something sub iP6 (in terms of physical size)

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Other then the small bugs I encounter with iOS 8 everyday, the iPhone 6 Plus was a money-worthy upgrade over my 5s IMO. I have been wanting a bigger screen and it was nice to get the bump in storage for the same price I would have paid for the 32GB model.

Screen alone was worth it to me.

25. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Upgraded from a 16gb 5S to a 64gb 6 and I am very happy with the upgrade the screen is bigger and sharper add in the Processor speed increase and NFC it's worth the upgrade.

I have upgraded every year since the Iphone 3 and sold off my older phones
    Next time for the 6S might go with the plus sized unit and keep the 6 for my travel phone