iPhone 5S May Include Slow Motion Video Recording Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Well, the H.264 encoder used by Apple isn't at all bad - I've certainly seen much worse implementations (for example, those of Panasonic used in their 2009 720p P&S cameras like the ZS3 / TZ7). For that matter, deinterlacing the 60i footage produced by the HV30 is much more destructive to the image quality than using H.264 (and not HDV) in the first place.

When played back at nominal (120/60) fps for fluid motion, there would be no point at increasing the sampling rate (44.1 kHz). At playing back 1/4 speed, it could, so that you could hear for example the sound of for example bats played back at 1/4 the pitch. Otherwise, it'd be pretty useless.

2. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I have 3D T.V. I was so excited when I bought it but I've watched it in 3D all of 5 to 10 times in two years.

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It was present in iOS5 and completely removed in iOS6 - only to be reintroduced as "completely new" in iOS7. Apple has often done similar reintroduces - see the latest article on (re)introducing anti-aliasing on non-Retina-screen iPads.

----------

It's highly unlikely 120 fps will be available in 720p, let alone 1080p. Only the fastest dedicated cameras allow for 720p120 and only one is consumer-priced: the GoPro 3 BE, which has an exceptionally fast sensor + supporting circuitry. And lower res means drastically lower bitrates (=storage use).

In addition, doubled framerates don't correspond to double the framerate. Basically, 1080p60 H.264 footage is saved at 26-28 Mbps in most 1080p60-capable current cameras, while 1080p30 at 16-20 Mbps. That is, there is only some 20-30% difference.

That is, don't be afraid of the high-speed modes' storage use.

4. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Something like htc zoe would be great. And i love more megapixels but please dont make it suffer like the s4 from low shutter speed.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

6. Fishticks macrumors 6502

Fishticks

Slow motion movies ? Great !

Again, Apple is innovating ! After everyone else.

7. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

the way they will implent it will probaly be alot better then other companies though ;)

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

As soon as you purchase a camera with 60+ fps video recording, you will find new usage areas. For example, before getting a 120 fps camcorder (camera), I wouldn't have thought I'd use high-speed video modes of the camera for benchmarking while writing multimedia / 3D / programming articles.

----------

Currently, as it seems (please read my 60 fps report here at MR: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171 , I've explained this at length there), this won't be the case. At least with current, latest (iPhone 5) hardware. The 5S may be able to record flawless high-speed footage though. It's still not known what the 5S will be capable of.

9. lozpop macrumors 6502

Gosh, I'll never use the Camera app if I have to tap that ugly icon. :p

10. iNotion macrumors regular

iNotion

i hope Apple is not cutting cost or letting their staff slack...
    Microsoft and Google is not only catching up... they are already in front~

11. Terrin macrumors 6502

Just because something would technically work on older phones does not mean it will work well. Take Maps. Google's Map App works like crap on older iPhones (don't love it on newer one's either). When Siri came out often times she would suffer from network congestion. If Apple allowed all the old phones on, it would have been much worst.

----------

You know innovation involves more than just coming up with an idea first. One can also improve on an idea in an innovative manner.

12. PajamaPants macrumors member

My bet is that in older iPhones it is not going to be present, that in the 5 it would only record in VGA and that the next-gen would have a sensor directed to do that probably in 720p and hopefully storage until 128gb.

13. tekmoe macrumors 68000

nom nom nom nom nom

trick, please...i been using macs since i was 2. ain't no troll 'round here. i merely made a comment that i love the slow motion feature. glad to see apple is planning on incorporating this into the iphones.

now stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

14. Intarweb macrumors 6502a

15. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Higher frame rate video capture is not just for slow motion. The quality and movement is much sharper when viewing videos running at a higher frame rate.

Here's a video I captured on my iPhone 4S using the Slopro app at 60fps 720p.

https://www.box.com/s/7k7gc70yg87s3m2jtv7x

Filmic Pro, Timefreeze, Film60 were also able to capture at 60fps. My S4 can do 60fps video capture but only at 480p which makes it look like crap IMO. Apple saw this and broke it in iOS 6 so they can add this feature to their next gen device.

16. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Believe it or not, I have 4GB of video recorded on my iPhone 5. I am into video and photography.

17. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

My GoPro shoots 4K video. Certainly iPhone should be able to deliver more than 1080p 30.

----------

Cute dogs.

I've always thought that high frame rate looks really awkward, surreal and (tbh) kind of like cheap video. But I'm a 24fps kinda guy. Film school...

18. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Hopefully Apple isn't THIS greedy. (Albeit they have proved they are in numerous cases of deliberately dumbing down their older or, before the release of a new model, current models.)

After all, even the iPhone 4S could record 720p60 flawlessly, without overheating / other restrictions, even for hours. (The only problem was the halved vertical resolution, which has been demonstrated and explained in several of my posts here at MR.)

That is, there shouldn't be any way, except for Apple's greed, for the 4S not to support at least 720p60 in iOS7.

As far as the iPhone 5 is concerned, you can already use 720p60 right now on the iPhone 5 (and maybe even the 4S - dunno, haven't tested on it). If you can compile and deploy iOS7 apps on your handset, just use my camera client at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171

19. Sy7ygy Suspended

Great idea MacRumors.

Let's post EVERY inkling of information so the competitors can release replicated products first?

I question if this is a good website or not sometimes..

20. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Note that it's 12 fps only. You just can't have decent 4K recording for $400. And the GoPro 3 BE is the fastest current consumer camcorder, with far faster an architecture than anything else.

This is why I really don't think the iPhone 5 will be capable of 1080p120, which, sensor reaoudout speed-wise, would equal to 4kp30. Frankly, I don't think it'll even have flawless, non-binned 1080p60.

----------

Lolz... are you serious? 720p60 recording was even present in iOS5, in late 2011, with the 4S, before Apple's removing it in iOS6. Probably to make the upgrade to 5/5S much more desirable?

----------

BTW, don't you happen to have iOS7 on your 4S? I'd really like to know whether my iOS7-only 720p60 recorder app is compatible with the 4S, that is, whether the 4S is (still) able to record at 720p60.

21. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

That video was from my old 4S running iOS 5.x in 2012. I now have an iP5 running iOS 7 b3. I think if the 4S was capable of 60fps 720p capture, the iP5 could've done 60fps 1080p while the 5S will be able to do 120fps 1080p. I can only hope.

22. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

That would be a great feature. I can just see Apple using it in one of their adverts.

Samsung are really coming up with some innovative new features for their phones and cameras lately. I hope Apple start pinching some of their ideas for a change.

PS Love that music. Really relaxing.

23. Nickapple4s macrumors newbie

I also love having all the:) features on my S4

24. sumsingwong, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I guess it depends what you're attempting achieve. 24p is great if you're try to achieve a cinematic look but its drawbacks are choppiness and blurring during high action scenes or panning. I understand blurring and choppiness would give the desired effect of speed. Higher frame rates reduces that. The majority of iPhone users will be using their devices for home videos or silly action sequences. IMO, I'd want to keep those videos as crisp, clear and as close to reality as possible. That's what higher frame rates offer. Higher frame rates allows more flexibility because it can also be converted to 24p. I can't stand how blurry the scene gets when panning at 24p.

25. PajamaPants macrumors member

True, and didn't know that about the 4S, the thing is my iPhone 3G only records video with cycorder :eek:... But filming even in 60p should be pretty awesome for action videos.
    But let's hope Apple isn't this greedy though, unless all of this doesn't get past a rumor...