iPhone 5S May Include Slow Motion Video Recording Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2013.

1. aloshka macrumors 65816

Weirdest ad I have ever seen. The girl is not a good dancer, and the colored balls as an after effect? Huh?

I thought Samsung had money.

2. ciberkarlos macrumors member

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Yep. That had to be the most boring use of slow-mo ever.

4. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

are you serious? "about time" to catch up to all the random throw-enough-sh** features Samsung tosses out there? this is not a big feature, and not one many people have been (ever?) lamenting...

5. darster Suspended

Just a gimmick. If you want real slo motion with clarity, you need a minimum rate around 5000 fps, not 120 fps.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This would be pretty cool. I'm sure I would mess around with it for a bit, but then get bored of it like Siri.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It might be possible to leverage the added data for better image stabilization which means you might use it more than you tink

And knowing Apple if they include this they will figure out a way (likely via h.265) to keep the video at full res for the device and not some 'record 1080p at 30 fps and 480/720p at 120 fps‘ just to show up the other folks

8. gingerbloke macrumors member

You think so? She can dance for me like that anytime she wishes - she's very pretty!

9. BSben macrumors 65816

I hope this is coming to the iPhone 5S, not a feature that will be used a lot, but still good to have. If you have a bit of a wicked side it could be priceless.

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

They should add really useful stuff to the Camera.app before they bother with this SloMo.

The Camera.app needs:

Timer
    Time/date/location imprinting(Great for printing images)
    Stabilization shot
    720p @ 60FPS recording option, or just 720p option
    White balance, Exposure, Light sensitivity(ISO), Contrast, Sharpness controls

11. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

I looked into the slow motion apps on the app store recently and didn't see much. One that I'd seen recommended in a magazine got horrible reviews. Is there a slow motion app you've used and would recommend?

12. flipnap macrumors 6502

that would make people happy. shooting a 2 second clip that takes 3 gigs of space.

13. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors regular

WiiDsmKR69

There is always one person at the beach, at a concert or at a lookout taking photos with a tablet.

Im glad we arn't that guy :cool:

----------

Literally laughed out loud when I read this, couldn't help it.

Ultra slo-mo for that "finishing" touch :p

14. flipnap macrumors 6502

you know, when i bought my retina i thought id be in trouble with such a small hard drive. im so used to having terrabytes. it forced me back into proper file management again. were so used to having so much space so cheap we just keep throwing stuff in the "closet". i had so many duplicates and folders called "clean me".. clean meA.. clean meB" etc. i am actually getting by just fine on such relatively small space. Had a guy at work the other day complaining about his phone running out of space. he had enough music and movies to last for three years.. but he still didnt have enough room.. its crazy

15. Takeo macrumors 6502a

I'm a Figure Skater and my coach often takes video during our lessons with my iPhone. We use Ubersense for slow-mo playback and video analysis. But the source material is still really lacking since it's only 30FPS. 120FPS would be friggin' awesome for this and other sports / video analysis!!! I hope Ubersense releases an update with high speed video recording when this comes out. I also hope it's an iOS 7 thing that will work on my iPhone 5. Would suck to upgrade my phone so soon just for this one feature.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

17. gingerbloke macrumors member

Haha!!!

I have about 10 different "Unsorted Vids" and "Desktop Overflow" folders on my PC backup drive... LOL!

18. Aidyn's X macrumors regular

Good insight.

19. Roller macrumors 68030

There are times when it might be handy to have a faster frame rate available. But I thought that the Samsung ad didn't do a very good job of illustrating the benefits of slow-motion, and the bouncing colored disks or whatever they were supposed to be were distracting.

20. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I use the high frame rate feature a lot on the GoPro Hero3. But the situations where I use it wouldn't all be suitable for the iPhone. For example, I wouldn't attach my iPhone to a foam glider and launch it from the balcony. Nor would I take the iPhone snorkeling.

I'm glad to see improvements in the iPhone's camera (if these rumors are true). When it's time for me to upgrade to the iPhone 6, I'll probably find uses for it.

I hope that third party special effects apps can take advantage of the new hardware capabilities.

21. MaSx macrumors regular

You're right. iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S

22. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

this is definitely a cool feature I'd like to have. It'd be even greater if they can bring this to the iphone 5 and previous generations, even if the camera may only support 60fps if there's a hardware limitation.

there's a few apps that claim to do this on the app store (e.g. slopro), but they don't seem to work properly?

one thing interesting from the samsung ad is the video is not in widescreen. either the ad has been formatted that way or the quality/size reduces in slow mo. hopefully apple does a better job.

23. darster Suspended

And fools would buy a phone that shoots 120 fps. I prefer to keep my money than actually believe 120 fps is slo motion. Suckers are born every minute. :rolleyes: Luckily, I'm not stupid.

24. 0098386 Suspended

Is that why my 4S is slow?

25. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You wouldn't - a lot of people would. I for example use 60/120 fps modes on my Nikon P300 a lot for, among other things, video / game frame-per-second / dropped frame benchmarking purposes.

----------

You can already use 720p60 right now on the iPhone 5 (and maybe even the 4S - dunno, haven't tested on it). If you can compile iOS7 apps, just use my camera client at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171

Note that I'll release a fully-fledged video recorder, reimplementing everything the stock Camera app has, very soon. However, the current one is already pretty functional.

----------

Again: it won't be exclusive to the 5S. 720p60 works on the iPhone 5 (and prolly even the 4S) in the current iOS7 betas too. If you can compile iOS7 apps, just use my camera client at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171

----------

If you have iOS7 beta and can compile apps for it (you have Xcode + a dev license), you could test my 60fps recorder app right away. Hopefully it works. Again, I don't know whether it'll work (or not) on the 4S - only tested it on the 5.

----------

NONE of the apps offers true (non-motion-compensated) 30+ fps recording under iOS6 (as opposed to iOS5, where this was possible). If someone states the opposite, he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

This feature has been removed in iOS6 entirely; this is why Filmic Pro 2, among other things, had to be completely removed from AppStore. Under iOS5, true (albeit halved vertical res) 720p60 worked just fine on the iPhone 4S.

----------

Nope, you're absolutely wrong - again, no AppStore app can record at true 60 fps on iOS6. It's only possible under iOS5 on the 4S (via several AppStore apps) and iOS7 on at least the iPhone 5 (currently, with my open-source app).

----------

Exactly. The original footage must be recorded at a high speed to produce quality slowed-down footage. This is impossible under iOS6, "thanks" for Apple's completely removing 60 fps support existing in iOS5. (And now re-adding it as something absolutely new.)

----------

You won't see settable frame rates in the stock Camera app. However, most third-party camcorder apps (e.g., Filmic Pro) supports settable framerates - after all, there's an API call for that.

----------

1080p120 is, with current consumer-priced hardware, impossible to record. We're speaking of 4K sensor reading speeds here. No wonder 4K cameras are VERY expensive. 4K (or, bandwidth usage-wise, 1080p120) cameras won't appear in consumer devices for at least a year.