Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lusitano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
Hello. I have updated my iPhone 5s to ios 8.0.2. And the spotlight search Takes about 6s when searching for music or contacts. i had the same issue on iOS 8.0. This does not happen on my iPad 4 with iOS 8.0.2.
I did a clean instal and the problem remains. It's super annoying waiting 6 s for a music result to show up. I only have 200 songs...
Any one having the same prob?

Lusitano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
Possible that the Spotlight index is rebuilding. Is it slow when searching from within the Music app?

When I search in the music app it's fine. I don't think that its rebuilding because I have this issue since iOS 8 came out. If I search for the same song twice it takes the same 6 seconds to search it again... Ridiculous

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When you did the clean install, did you then restore your backup?

My 5s searches as I'm typing the letters in, there is a fraction of a second delay between me hitting the key and the results on the screen.

Lusitano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
When you did the clean install, did you then restore your backup?

My 5s searches as I'm typing the letters in, there is a fraction of a second delay between me hitting the key and the results on the screen.

I restored from iCloud and no luck. Then I did full wipe and set it up has a new iPhone and didn't solve the issue. Mine also shows the results in half a second except music and contacts. When I put the second letter in search it doesn't show nothing for 6 seconds .

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I have the same exact issue. Results show instantly for the first letter of the search, but after typing the second letter, it takes 5-10 seconds to load results.

I have about 4000 songs on the iPhone and Spotlight is set to search ONLY music. Spotlight searching my music was instantaneous on the same phone in iOS 7.

Is this an iOS 8 bug? It happens with both a clean install and a restore from iCloud.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
You may want to disable or reorder the new Spotlight search features that may be contributing to this,

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ios-8-using-and-disabling-the-new-spotlight-features

I've disabled everything except Music in Spotlight settings, and I've reordered Music to be at the very top of the Spotlight results. It still takes 5-10 seconds to load results...

Is the iOS 8 not indexing my music properly?
Is there some kind of error in my music library?
Is it an iOS 8 bug?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I restored from iCloud and no luck. Then I did full wipe and set it up has a new iPhone and didn't solve the issue. Mine also shows the results in half a second except music and contacts. When I put the second letter in search it doesn't show nothing for 6 seconds .
Thats why your problem came back. You restored from an iCloud backup. The point of a backup is that it doesn't just bring back the good stuff, it brings back everything, including problems like spotlight indexes.

Use iTunes to restore your phone to factory settings and set up as new. Then you can go in to settings and sign in to icloud to get back your contacts as long as you have them in there. Use a computer to import photos then put them back on the phone without a backup. That's your fix.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Thats why your problem came back. You restored from an iCloud backup. The point of a backup is that it doesn't just bring back the good stuff, it brings back everything, including problems like spotlight indexes.

Use iTunes to restore your phone to factory settings and set up as new. Then you can go in to settings and sign in to icloud to get back your contacts as long as you have them in there. Use a computer to import photos then put them back on the phone without a backup. That's your fix.

I think he said he said he set up as a new iPhone and was still searching slowly.

Last edited:

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I've disabled everything except Music in Spotlight settings, and I've reordered Music to be at the very top of the Spotlight results. It still takes 5-10 seconds to load results...

Is the iOS 8 not indexing my music properly?
Is there some kind of error in my music library?
Is it an iOS 8 bug?

I'm not having this problem at all.
Does iTunes show any warnings (!) next to any of your music?
Are you using iTunes match?
What if you removed all your music on your device, restarted your device, then synced your music back with iTunes?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I think he said he said he set up as a new iPhone and was still searching slowly.

He said he restored from iCloud. If he were starting from a blank slate he would not be having this issue, the vast majority of iOS 8 users aren't having this issue and I've tested blank-slate iOS 8 on multiple devices and the search functionality works fine.

What likely happened is that the spotlight indexing got stuck somewhere, or significantly slowed down.

Lusitano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
Hello. I also did a full restore via iTunes an the problem remains, i sad that it didn't afect my iPad 4, but now it has the exact same issue... what the hell is going on with iOS?

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012

You said you set it up as a new iPhone and it didn't solve the issue?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Spotlight search is working fine for me on my iphone 5 on 8.1. Try the following maybe:

1. Disable ALL searchable items except music and search. observe results.

2. Disable Music and leave all others on and sesrch. Observe results.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Spotlight search is working fine for me on my iphone 5 on 8.1. Try the following maybe:

1. Disable ALL searchable items except music and search. observe results.

2. Disable Music and leave all others on and sesrch. Observe results.

Tinkered with spotlight settings:

I tried searching just contacts; works fine.

I tried searching just music; very slow.

I trued searching contacts and music; very slow.

I tried deleting my entire music library and re-syncing; search still slow.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Tinkered with spotlight settings:

I tried searching just contacts; works fine.

I tried searching just music; very slow.

I trued searching contacts and music; very slow.

I tried deleting my entire music library and re-syncing; search still slow.

is it safe to say something in music is messed up? like an index or something?

MadeToMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I am experiencing the same issues on my iPhone 6. I have about 2500 songs and the Spotlight search function worked perfectly fine with my iPhone 4S for years. So last night I restored my phone to new (without backup) and the search worked fine for apps. Restored backup with Apps, videos, and no music to phone and everything searched fine. When I put the music back on the search slowed back to a crawl. Turned music of in Spotlight search and search was back to normal speeds. So there is something it does not like about music.

What I have noticed is when Music is set to the last item to search for it does pull up everything else first before everything blanks out while it searches for the music. When the music is the first search item in the Spotlight list, no matter what you are searching for it brings up the first several songs in my library (alphabetical order) and then everything disappears again while it searches the entire library/phone for info.

Tonight I will try limiting the amount of music on my phone to see if there is some magic number that just slows it down.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
This is clearly a bug from ios 8

I have the same issue with an iphone 6 and and my ipad air

Everything that has installed ios 8 has this issue. With ios 8.1 the bug still appears.

Some times search works ok, some times it is slow and it don't show anything.

A lot of times I try to search for an app and nothing appears, then after some seconds or minutes I go to search and the results are there.

I hope that Apple fixes this bug because it is crazy to search something and find nothing and wait again to find the same app.

What Apple has done to spotlight because before it worked great without issues

* This bug is the same while searching apps, songs, movies and everything

wiivile

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Do I need to re-create my entire music library in iTunes...? I have tried setting up as a new iPhone and syncing my music library to the fresh clean iPhone and it still has the problem.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
This bug was fixed on ios 8.1.1

It was one of the worst things in ios 8, sometimes you can't find something

Spotlight

Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later

Impact: Unnecessary information is included as part of the initial connection between Spotlight or Safari and the Spotlight Suggestions servers

Description: The initial connection made by Spotlight or Safari to the Spotlight Suggestions servers included a user's approximate location before a user entered a query. This issue was addressed by removing this information from the initial connection and only sending the user's approximate location as part of queries.

CVE-ID

CVE-2014-4453 : Ashkan Soltani

Lusitano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
This bug was fixed on ios 8.1.1

It was one of the worst things in ios 8, sometimes you can't find something

Spotlight

Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later

Impact: Unnecessary information is included as part of the initial connection between Spotlight or Safari and the Spotlight Suggestions servers

Description: The initial connection made by Spotlight or Safari to the Spotlight Suggestions servers included a user's approximate location before a user entered a query. This issue was addressed by removing this information from the initial connection and only sending the user's approximate location as part of queries.

CVE-ID

CVE-2014-4453 : Ashkan Soltani

The bug wasn't fix. I just tried it and it takes more than 10 seconds to show up a music...and I'm on iOS 8.1.1.

MadeToMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
The bug wasn't fix. I just tried it and it takes more than 10 seconds to show up a music...and I'm on iOS 8.1.1.

I am also still experiencing this issue. It was the first thing I checked when upgrading to 8.1.1. It seems to only effect people with 1200+ songs in their music library. Something is wrong with the way it indexes music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.