Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukasz74nj

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Mobile payments should be a secondary driver here

I can't remember all my passwords, can you Apple? Either give me the ability to use the master password for all applications or read my fingerprints to authenticate me. Mobile payments should be a secondary driver here.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
in the United States Walt Disney is the only company deploying NFC. We have no where to use it other than their theme parks. So if we got it what would we use it for?

I heard a while back that Apple could possibly provide retailers the reader free of charge. The benefit to the retailer would be lower cost of paper and ink! For the consumer,,, no more lost receipts! EVERYBODY Wins!

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
NFC is just prone to a bad user experience. It's also a security risk. It's got no killer application accept Point of Sale and has no real adoption.

I would imagine Apple wouldn't be doing it (and until it's released, we won't know for sure if they are) if it didn't have a plan for it to be useful, with a plan for getting vendors and customers on board. Otherwise, they wouldn't waste money and space placing the needed parts into the phone.

This is why, as someone else stated, they're "always late to the party." They don't tend to do things just to do them, but wait until they are able to make use of them and plans are in place.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Fingerprint sensor would be cool if it eliminated the need for a password. It would obviously have to be extremely accurate of course. NFC has no real application right now.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Apple, i don't care if you re-release the iPhone 5 in its exact current state since its still one of the best smartphones money can buy even in 2013.

Just for the love of all things sacred do something about iOS. It needs a very significant update.

What exactly are you wanting to do that you can't do now?

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I hope the iWatch is the NFC-enabled device....with biometric sensors....

Easier to flash your wrist than pull out your phone.

It would also help in increasing the number of people able to use this technology.

An iWatch will probably be able to communicate with iPhone 4S and newer, because of Bluetooth 4.0.

If the iWatch were the one device that got NFC and fingerprint sensors (but i have no idea where that would fit on such a device), you could get 200 million people to buy the iWatch for 200-300$ and use NFC payment much earlier than if only the buyers of the iPhone 5S were able to use NFC payment.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
ummmmm, not going to happen this rumor has been flying around since the older generations of iPhone, most likely the feature will be added to iPhone 6.

History (what little there is of it) shows that the "S" models get new features, while the number-only models get redesigned.

3GS - Compass, speed
4 Glass and Metal, Retina
4S - Siri, speed
5 Sturdier metal and glass, taller screen

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see these features added to the 5S. I'll get them when my two-year contract is up and I upgrade to the 6.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The NFC rumor just will not go away....which is ironic because this is the most un-Apple potential piece of tech that could be put in a device. A massive potential security hole that can run payment systems (that have nothing remotely close to a standard or any sort of adoption rate) or direct phone to phone comm (there's an app for that).

Yeah....can't imagine why it hasn't made it's way to an iOS device yet. Heck....even Samsung isn't incorporating it into their new Wallet platform.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple manages something like this, I may just get the iPhone 5S after all. Otherwise I'm planning on holding onto my 4S and waiting for the 6... I'm expecting most of what's new to be with iOS 7, not new hardware.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I do not want to have so much info in my phone, is like having all the eggs in one basket that brakes and is an easy target. Besides it is software and is hackable.

Imagine someone with a hack walking around you sucking the info of your phone at the grocery store or movie theater... and making charges while you are distracted.

Nah, way too tempting for hackers, now they will have everything in one place.... your phone.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I'm very interested to know how apple would implement the fingerprint sensor and how reliable is it. Because, it will be hilarious if user can't unlock the phone :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.