iPhone 5s vs iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsusser, Sep 13, 2014.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I'm on the ropes about upgrading. I suppose I'll wait to see it in the store before deciding. I have absolutely no interest in the 6+, it's just too big.

Perhaps those more technically savvy can help with my decision. Is the 6 such a major improvement over the 5s to warrant the upgrade? I'm getting the feeling that it isn't. The new chip doesn't seem like a major jump from what I've read. I like 128gb but it's not enough to induce me to upgrade. The increased size over the 5s is probably more of a reason NOT to upgrade for me. I liked the size of the 4 and I thought the 5 was pushing my limits, but it turned out fine fitting into my pocket nicely. I can't see getting anything bigger.

I am not part of the camp that thinks bigger is better and am really sorry to see apple go this route. Maybe it is better technically but it simply doesn't suit me. I guess there's no going back after the 6 comes out and I'm even thinking HTC or another device. I'm so accustomed to Apple and I have everything Apple that I'd hate to jump ship that I never thought the day would come that I would consider it.

Any thoughts?

2. MaximoMark79 macrumors newbie

I'm sticking with the 5s, it's the perfect size imo.

3. munakib macrumors 6502

Bro, after watching this review, I honestly dont see any reason for someone with a 5S to upgrade - it looks exactly the same with iOS8 (well yes, slightly larger screen). If you need that extra screen size desperately then grab the iPhone6+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6P4UkpmhxM&feature=youtu.be

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If you're not craving a bigger screen no reason to upgrade at this time.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's an iPhone 5S with a bigger screen and a different casing. Sure the specs are up a little bit but it's nothing you would ever notice whilst using the phone. The 5S has a much faster processor than the iPhone 5 and yet both phones are exactly the same in use. The i5 is no slower than the 5S. The jump in processor speed from the 5S to the i6 is MUCH smaller, so don't worry about it. At least the 5S got a better camera and Touch ID over the iPhone 5, the i6 just gets a bigger screen when all is said and done.

6. menist macrumors regular

menist

There no need to feel peer pressure to upgrade if you don't want to. iOS 8 will be the same experience on the 5s, minus the 6 features. I'm upgrading from a iphone 5 so the jump this year is huge imo.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Touch ID, a bigger screen and a better camera, no real change in performance. The i5 is no slower in real world tasks than the 5S, it just benchmarks slower.

8. menist macrumors regular

menist

I know, if I upgraded last year to a 5s, I would not upgrade this year.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Why not?

10. menist macrumors regular

menist

Have to pay full price last year for a 5s, this year is discounted.

11. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

The larger screen is a negative to me and a number of others I've spoken to. The 5s is the limit sizewise for me. The camera is not a huge upgrade and the increased speed is not overly important to me. I like payment pass, or whatever it's called, but that's still an unknown. The more I think about it, it is unlikely I'll upgrade though I'll withhold final judgment until I can hold the phone and see it first hand.

Which basically will mean that my long career with iPhones will be over if the 6 is too big. After so many years, I hate to jump ship, though it won't be for a while. I can't see them turning back the clocks and making smaller phones. I don't like that they gave in to outside pressures, but that's another story.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Read some of the other threads. Apart from the bigger screen, the i6 is really no different to the 5S. No faster in real world use, the camera hasn't had any kind of real upgrade and the RAM is the same...
    If you don't want a bigger screen, or aren't prepared to pay so much money to get that and that only, then the better looking 5S is a keeper.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

5S user here.

5S was the worst upgrade ever. TouchID was the only 'usable' feature and that didn't work until halfway through year when 7.1 was released.

6 is a much better upgrade. Redesigned Style, Larger Screen, NFC, and if you go with a 6+ then battery life, 1080p and OIS.

In short only a chump would stay with the 5S over a 6.

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I tend to agree with you. The A8 is a very minimal upgrade over the A7. Also the 6+ could run slower than the 6 does. Which if the case could appear slower than the 5s. That's going to
    Come down to the amount of RAM.

Also the first run of iPhone 6 benchmarks aren't that impressive...

15. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Of course...just like everything in the world. Screen size is a big deal, especially if you use it for work. It's the entire point.

16. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

How come in that video there's 5 rows plus dock, but the actual iPhone 6 has 6 rows plus dock. Kinda supports the rumors where there were speculation of 1704x960 resolution retina at 3x. That phone he has dfinitely has a different display than the released version

17. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

What is the best best apple rival for someone who wants 4.5" max, 128gb or at least 64gb, etc?

18. musika macrumors 65816

musika

There is a Zoom mode built into the 6. He must have had that enabled.

19. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I watched that video and I'm coming from a 4S. I think I'd really like the 6 but I'm still kind of debating between the 5S and 6. The 4S screen is just too small now.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So you'd be a chump if you didn't exchange the sleek looking 5S for the i6 with redesigned style (worse looking and with a protruding camera), larger screen and NFC (pretty much useless as of now, and it will never be a necessity) ?
    It strikes me that the only real upgrade over the 5S is the larger screen. Plenty of folk don't want that anyway! I do, but I also want better specs too. I'm not throwing £600+ at an i6 to only get a bigger screen. I want more RAM *and only a chump would upgrade to another iPhone with a paltry 1GB ;-)

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Don't understand these threads. It's faster just like every iPhone iteration. It's thinner and redesigned. Additional LTE bands, 802.11ac, and NFC. 0.7in increase in screen size.

There's no reason not to upgrade. If you're concerned with specs, buy an Android or wait for iPhone 6S/7.

Yes, my 5S works fine, but I want a bigger screen. 6 and 6 Plus satisfies that.

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

iPhone 5/5S looks clunky [boxy] compared to the 6.

Whole Foods was on the companies advertised supporting NFC and I shop there weekly so I'll quite enjoy NFC.

I forgot about 802.11ac until the poster above mentioned it, another plus.

1GB of Ram sucks but w/e, they'll most likely increase the size next year and I'm a yearly upgrader so I'll just get it then.

23. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The 6 is indeed better by a small margin. Other than that, I do not agree with anything you have to say.

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You don't agree with facts?

iPhone 5 -> 5S was more LTE Bands (only matters for people who travel), faster processor (made no different in terms of real world performance), and TouchID (didn't work for more than 2 days before 7.1)

5S -> 6 is redesigned Style, Larger Screen, NFC, 802.11ac and if you go with a 6+ then battery life, 1080p and OIS.

5S was almost no upgrade whereas the 6 is the real deal, next generation iPhone.

25. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Yeah, OP, definitely play with the 6 at an Apple store and see where you're at. I have the 5S as well and ordered a 6. You admit you're not tech savvy (I'm not really either w/ phones), so you will in all likelihood notice ZERO difference in performance between the 5S and 6. It comes down to whether the new features of the 6 are useful to you + whether you can tolerate the slightly larger size. I will actually use the AC wifi and the Apple pay system, assuming it works. My bank and some other stores I go to have already announced they're on board with Pay, which is important to me. I want to get the most money I can from selling my 5S so now is the time to do it- if that's on your mind as well. No wrong decision on your part other than wanting to jump ship :D