iPhone 5S warped after 3 days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haruko05, Sep 30, 2013.

1. haruko05 macrumors newbie

For everyone that's purchasing a new iPhone 5S, check and make sure the phone is not bend even slightly. If it looks like it's bend slightly, it's probably not your imagination and it's defective.

So my friend had order an iPhone 5S online and received Wednesday. I helped him setup his new phone and noticed the fingerprint home button doesn't work correctly. I told him to take it to Apple for them to see what's wrong. At the time, I didn't see any warp or damage on the phone. I put on a screen protector and in a case and gave him the phone after setting it up. Since my friend was rushing to go pick up his daughter from dance class, he didn't inspect the phone closely. He did notice the phone seem to be warped a little when he got into his car, barely noticeable, and chalked it up to bad lighting.

On Saturday afternoon, my friend noticed the screen protector was a coming off near the volume button so he took it out of the case and really inspect it. After 3 days of use, no dropping, just in his front pocket when he goes out, the phone had warped right by the volume button. We took it back to Apple to exchange it and was given a hard time about it.

Per the tech that helped us, this is consider wear and tear/ abuse of the phone. I explain to him that this phone was used for 3 days, there's no marking or scratches on it. We never dropped it. The first time this phone was dropped was when we went in and the Apple employee that checked us in dropped the phone. The tech went on and said this could have happened because my friend sat on his phone. Um... Sorry Apple but a lot of people put their phone in the back pocket. If your phone can't withstand being sit on, you should probably put a disclaimer on your phones. For a small guy who's maybe 140 lbs to sit on the phone and have it bend from that within 3 days? There's a defect on Apple's work, not us abusing the phone.

Needless to say, the tech made it sound like he did us such a huge favor of exchanging the phone. Never had I had such horrible service at Apple. To be accuse of damaging something when it was defective to begin with. I'm ok with the fact that some of the phones might be defective since Apple is trying to make 6 millions of them if not more but don't accuse us of breaking it when it's clearly a problem with Apple not us.

Attached Files:

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

3. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Thats why the 4S is still the best iPhone out there.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Actually having a phone swapped out for free sounds like great service to me. Damage caused by accident IF you had Apple Care would have costed you $79 for a replacement.

5. Jeff3f macrumors member

6. pmau macrumors 65816

Stop. Please.

It was your fault. It's thin aluminum. Period.
    Don't try to blame your fault on others.

(I hate this "Everything needs to be covered" mentality)

7. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Why would you sit on a phone? Is your friends ass made of steel?

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Its not defective. It's aluminum so one has to be careful and not put it in your back pockets and in some cases not the front ones either.

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I have been sitting on all my Iphones for a long time and never had one bend. I'm not a skinny guy either.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight...

Your friend put his phone in his back pocket, sat on it, bent the aluminum frame, and then you get pissed at Apple for making a defective product?

That's just...wow. Society is getting more entitled by the day.

11. photodesign macrumors member

photodesign

12. pmau macrumors 65816

13. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

:)

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

There is no way that sitting on your phone is comfortable. :confused:

15. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've just noticed there aren't any youtube videos of people doing a 'Sit on your iphone' destruction test.

Even the crazy people that make those videos don't sit on their phones

16. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

These people are lightweight. :)

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It's bent, not warped.

iPhones are/will be bendable until Apple stops making them out of Coke cans. [​IMG]

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

[​IMG]

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Tell your friend it's not smart to sit on a $700 electronic device?

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

This doesn't happen naturally. So, it was either sat on...or was in his front pocket while weight lifting and sat a weight on it. This is most definitely user error and not in any way Apple's responsibility.

21. wxman2003 Suspended

I've seen those pics somewhere else before. Months ago.

22. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I've walked around for the past 5 years with my 3G, and then my 4, in my back pocket and had no problems. I was intending to do the same with my 5S when I'm not wearing a jacket.

which pockets do others carry their phones around in? The OP said that his friend was accused of sitting on it but in fact had carried it in his front pocket. Does that mean we can't carry our phones in any trouser pocket?

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

can't be, that's a silver 5s.

24. WilliamG macrumors 604

Seriously, the entitlement is amazing.

When you buy an iPhone, you are entitled to the following:

1.) A working product out of the box.
    2.) Apple's excellent customer service in most situations.

You are NOT entitled to:

1.) Sit on your iPhone, no matter how much you weigh, and expect Apple to take care of you unless you bought AppleCare+.

Consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky that Apple bent (pun intended) to your will. If it had been me, with the attitude you're portraying here, I'd have asked you to leave.

25. dominic252 macrumors member

NOBODY I know puts their phone in their back pocket. What a terrible idea.