IPhone 6.6+ picture compression?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cg006, Oct 3, 2014.

1. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

I have been taking alot of test shots with my 6+ and i cant help but notice how compressed all the images are. I originally had the feature enabled so the original goes to the cloud and the phone keeps a lighter version, so i figured it was that and turned it off. My pictures i feel still seem to be "noisy" and compressed. Ive taken alot with out flash, which i know can increase the iso levels, but even outside in daylight still seems kinda compressed. Anyone else have this issue?

Maybe im just spoiled since ive shot alot of pics with an slr and i am used to see nice clean images but its just a bit odd. Perhaps ios 8 has some aggressive compression ratio with the images?

Also... anyone else had issues with the camera app locking up? Seems to happen randomly when switching modes. Sometimes i will need to exit the app and swipe to close it to get it to work. I figure this is an ios bug at the moment... just curious...
    Other than that.. love my new iphone!

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Apple has dramatically increased the noise reduction in post-processing of images taken.

3. cg006 thread starter macrumors regular

cg006

its a shame.... everything is a fuzzy mess when you close in just a bit.
    Hope they fix it soon! its a shame such an nice camera is crippled by such compression.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

My photos seem perfectly crystal clear but I'm not a pro photog so I dunno...

:apple:

5. BuffordT macrumors regular

/\ This.

It's really a shame.

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

7. 1peeved macrumors newbie

Way too much jpeg compression and noise reduction. Pics just don't look good. Not sure if they can adjust the image processing with software update or not.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Why couldn't they? Of course they can do this.

9. 1peeved macrumors newbie

The image processor system on chip provably won't be updated via OTR updates.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

This is 100% system software that is causing the issue.

11. 1peeved macrumors newbie

Your basing this on what?

12. noobinator macrumors 601

The fact that I'm awesome and know lots of things. :cool:

13. 1peeved macrumors newbie

So what you are saying is you don't know. :mad:
    :eek:

14. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Anyone try different camera apps to see if it makes an improvement? Camera+ seems to be popular.

15. 1peeved macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried numerous apps. They don't make any improvements as they receive the image AFTER it's been processed by the image processor.

Cortex app slightly improves the situation by taking 10 pictures and blending them together. But the subject needs to be still and it's very limited functionality.

16. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Camera+ just had an update, says you can now save in TIFF lossless format. Not sure, as I have no real camera knowledge, just throwing it out there.

17. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

People keep saying that they are more compressed, but my own comparisons of file size between shots taken with the iPhones 4, 5 and 6 Plus does not show that at all. You have to do an average of many photos since these can vary tremendously depending on the subject matter. It does seem that they have cranked up the noise reduction, but this is NOT the same thing as too much JPEG compression.

18. lrsone macrumors 6502

The compression is really bad. Luckily Camera + just released an update where it saves your pictures in TIFF format. And allows you to keep uncompressed high quality images. Gonna test that out in a bit. But hopefully Apple fixes the software that's crippling this camera.

19. 2peeved macrumors newbie

Other apps claim to allow TIFF format saves, but again, the image is still processed though the phones image processor, which is causing the over compression and aggresive noise reduction, so the result will be a very large version of the blotchy picture. I have tried this already.

For comparison, the image on the left is from the iPhone 6, the right, iPhone 5. The images were zoomed in a bit. There is a marked reduction in quality on the 6. Notice the texture of the wheel, the lettering on the weight, etc.

Attached Files:

20. cg006 thread starter macrumors regular

cg006

i cant get good pictures... hoped 8.1 will improve it.. still a blurry mess. The iphone 5 camera was pretty good!
    For all the talk about the iphone 6+ cam... this truly sucks.

21. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

The Camera+ app (not Camera Plus) offers lossless 'TIFF' format now.

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Post some of your pics.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It doesn't matter if an app offers uncompressed TIFF's because it still receives a compressed feed from the iPhone's camera....no point in putting a compressed image in an uncompressed container other than to prevent further damage to it when editing it again...I deal with allot of video and image processing and I can tell you that converting lossy to lossless does NOT increase quality. Apple needs to offer at least a 10-bit raw feed to the camera for app makers or just offer better image compression choices (or lack thereof).

24. ClarkWG macrumors newbie

100% correct.

----------

This is insane. The pictures are worse than the iPhone 5.
    We were sold a bill of goods.