Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
As someone who switched from a Nexus 5 to an iPhone 6, it is not the iPhone 6 that that brought me to the iOS camp. It's the buggy Android 5.0 mess that Google still hasn't fixed. There is a serious bug with Android 5.0 where people can't hear you 25% of the time when they call you. Then there is the memory leak which requires you to reset your phone every day. iOS is buggy, but it doesn't have the critical bugs that Android has. Actually the 8.1.3 update seems to have fixed almost all of my issues with iOS.

My problems with iOS:
- pain in the butt to enable tethering, why in the world does tethering always enable my Bluetooth
- can't watch HD YouTube video over LTE
- can't download 100 mb apps over LTE, come on I have a 37 GB a month plan, most new plans in Poland now have unlimited LTE, why have such a restriction?
- Game Center notification cannot be turned off

Other than that, iOS is awesome.

Last edited:

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Switched to iphone 6+ because of 64bit support(required for large media files over 4gb). Regretting it more and more each day. Wifi is slow as hell I get 20down/10up and constant disconnects (I have a Linksys WRT1900AC router with 100down/50up internet, my desktop, macbook air, and note 3 supported the connection to the fullest). Also the lack of sufficient ram makes it very hard to work between a few webpages when they constantly have to refresh. Counting down the days for the first android phone to support 64bit.

----------

As someone who switched from a Nexus 5 to an iPhone 6, it is not the iPhone 6 that that brought me to the iOS camp. It's the buggy Android 5.0 mess that Google still hasn't fixed. There is a serious bug with Android 5.0 where people can't hear you 25% of the time when they call you. Then there is the memory leak which requires you to reset your phone every day. iOS is buggy, but it doesn't have the critical bugs that Android has. Actually the 8.1.3 update seems to have fixed almost all of my issues with iOS.

My problems with iOS:
- pain in the butt to enable tethering, why in the world does tethering always enable my Bluetooth
- can't watch HD YouTube video over LTE
- can't download 100 mb apps over LTE, come on I have a 37 GB a month plan, most new plans in Poland now have unlimited LTE, why have such a restriction?
- Game Center notification cannot be turned off

Other than that, iOS is awesome.

I am deeply annoyed by those issues as well. The tethering issue is due to the new continuity thing that apple has implemented which auto connects to your mac to provide internet which is done over a bluetooth connection.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I had the first iPhone on the 1st day and kept buying them until the 4S. At that time I wanted some more real estate and Apple didn't seem to want to get into the bigger phones, so after all those Apple years, I switched to the S3. My Android experience was pretty good, I liked bring able to do things I couldn't do with the iPhone, such as the file system. So while I was happy with the OS, I had issues with the phones. The S3 broke in less than a year. The screen started to turn blue and then black in the corner and this discoloration kept growing until the whole screen just died. Then I got an S4, which was nicer, but the battery wasn't lasting for longer than a few hours. Then I switched to the Note3, which is my favorite of all Android devices, but again, the hardware is not holding up. The USB connection is worn out and the charging is pretty challenging. It goes unresponsive from time to time and the touchscreen is acting funny a lot.

So after Apple finally released a screen size that I need, I went back to having iPhones and so far, I am very happy. It will take some big feature to lure me away again.
What were you doing to your Note 3? Were you treating it any different than your Apple device (this is just for my own curiousity).

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
My iPhone 6 downloads at 105 mb/s over wifi. My Macbook downloads at 180 mb/s over wifi. 105 mb/s is more than enough, Safari can't render pages that quick any way.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm not necessarily new to the iPhone per se as I owned the original first gen iPhone and switched after 2 years with the iPhone 4. However I did own several Android phones after the fact and made the switch to the iPhone 6 Plus from a phone I liked quite a bit, the Galaxy Note 3. I'll be honest, I didn't want to switch from Android right away, but after a few months now with the 6 Plus, I have no regrets. The 6 Plus is such a great phone and at the end of the day, continuity brought me back to the iPhone and I have no regrets with the switch. The 6 Plus is the best iPhone yet, and one of the best smartphones on the market.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
I had the first iPhone on the 1st day and kept buying them until the 4S. At that time I wanted some more real estate and Apple didn't seem to want to get into the bigger phones

Same reason and exact timeframe I left Apple. I wanted a 4.7 or 5 inch phone so I went Nokia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, and then back to Nokia Lumia 930. Each phone of the opposition just lacked something that Apple had, except for the screen size.

Glad to be back with an iPhone 6

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The 6 Plus killed off my two major bugbears with the iPhone, size and battery life. I knew that I'd appreciate the bigger screen, but the larger battery that comes with it has been an absolute revelation. No need for midday charging/Mophie etc, always seem to have at least 30% left when I get home.

The remaining battery will come in handy when the Watch comes along, I expect that to cost an extra 10% a day.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Cook said the company is getting "great feedback" about the quality of the products that they're shipping, and that in emerging markets, iPhone growth was "absolutely stunning." The company is very bullish on the iPhone going forward, expecting to see a lot of new adopters in Q2 2015 as well.

"We believe that it's the best smartphone in the world," said Cook.

Such great smartphones, they deserve the best software in the world.

Hopefully that's the next goal...

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Strictly anecdotal, but I think the 6+ will surge ahead. A lot of early adopters wen for the 6, but now my friends are skewing towards the 6+. In addition a lot of those with the 6 are wishing for the 6+.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
I still have the 4 - the 6 wasn't enough of a lure to upgrade. I'm not a big fan of replacing something that is working fine as I just don't have that sort of money to spend. It's nice to see the product change though, so that when I do finally upgrade it will be quite a leap in design and performance.

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
I have been on Android for the past 4 years because iPhone didn't have a bigger screen. I can't wait to get the 6S (when my contract runs out) :eek: and ditch Android for good

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I did leave my galaxy s4 for an iPhone 6 back in September . I thought iPhone 6 + iOS 8 would be right for me. The bigger screen iPhone was what sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately I'm still not thrilled with iOS.Last week I brought a note 4. IOS is still too closed for my liking. I like to customize my phone from top to bottom. Jail breaking isn't enough.

I do miss the ip6 fingerprint scanner. Note 4's fingerprint scanner is basically useless since you can't make purchases or sign into amazon with it. only unlock the screen and the swipe thing is slightly annoying.

I would like to see how many people switched back to android.

Maybe iPhone 6s+iOS 9 will convince me to stay will apple.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
I think I would only switch to an iPhone 6+ (or future iterations of it) if multi-tasking features of iOS were improved. We'll see what iOS 9 brings.

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Better late than never

This just shows that they should have made the bigger iPhone already couple of years ago. At least there was one customer they lost for two years time just because their phone had too small display.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I know that I upgraded from my iPhone 5 to the 6+ because of the size increase. Otherwise, I would have waited as Apple eventually had to increase size options.

BluBrindle5

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Honestly I've had iPhone and htc and I like both but this HTC desire 820 I have is top of the line ..not your typical android like Samsung.. HTC has come a long way.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.

Or because there's a big market for smaller devices. The average user won't even know about the 1GB RAM.

I have the 6 and the larger screen is nice, but the form factor of the 4 was better (my wife has my old 4 and is not envious of the 6!).

v3nt

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I would like all the new features, battery strength & power in the iPhone5s size please! There's still a strong case for smaller sizes and its still big enough for most things.

I use GPS apps a lot for running and cycling and I can just about squeeze the 5 into my pockets (the 4 and less were perfect) without having to use armbands or similar... I'd say i use the features way more than the screen (i.e. gyroscope, few hours of music, hour run or cycle with occasional glance at screen, phone calls...) and now I'm making most of my calls & texts via continuity so I'm using the touch features even less.

Seems odd that i would leave apple as their phones are now too big!

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
The many Android switchers aren't really surprising, as the 6 is the first generic looking big-ass smartphone from Apple. Most people I know still have a 5/5s because of the mediocre design of the 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.