Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Well the reason for that is because of the resolution which 5 and 5S had. To sort of scale it instead of coming up with an entirely new resolution which would've created more work for devs. 2x assets. Same thing really goes for the 6 Plus which actually down samples 2208×1242, 3x assets, into 1080p.

Seems like quite an eccentric way to support higher resolutions? I realise at first things need to be upscaled. But if Apple implement a single new resolution that would like be around for a long time (1080p) then developers would quickly start optimising their apps for such a resolution.

Retina-08

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Switched from iPhone 6+ To Nexus 6, first Android since 2.2.

Do not regret my choice, the app & safari reload was a mess imo, not sure if they managed to fix it, or the lack of RAM.

I felt some love that I haven't felt with iOS anymore when I was watching Lollipop video's.

Awesome animations, and Lollipop is as smooth as iOS here.

Can't say what my next phone will be, depends on the designs and OS of the next phones, maybe I'll go with Windows. :D:p

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Seems like quite an eccentric way to support higher resolutions? I realise at first things need to be upscaled. But if Apple implement a single new resolution that would like be around for a long time (1080p) then developers would quickly start optimising their apps for such a resolution.

Well I think Apple has a goal of implementing native 2208×1242 for the future "iPhone 7", which would comfortably put a 4.7" above 500 ppi. You wouldn't really notice any jaggy lines at all at that point, regardless of which thin font you would use. Not to mention that you would eliminate the problem of AA. Right now 326 is good, but you do notice the jaggy lines with fonts that are very thin.

For instance, the number on the calendar app is a pretty good example where it isn't razor sharp smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.