Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Android is now primarily for poor people worldwide, iPhone for rich people, and as some people move up the financial ranks they switch from Android to iPhone.

Sure there are exceptions, but this is the main cause for phone preferences every war.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Not everyone wants a big phone. I am waiting with the 4S and cannot upgrade to newer iPhone models because I don`t like their sizes. I hope later this year Apple will offer a smaller iPhone - but with latest internals!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Android is now primarily for poor people worldwide, iPhone for rich people, and as some people move up the financial ranks they switch from Android to iPhone.

Sure there are exceptions, but this is the main cause for phone preferences every war.

Perhaps one of the most absurd comments I've ever read.

In other news, I love this quote "We believe that it's the best smartphone in the world," said Cook.

I am shocked to learn that the CEO of Apple thinks his phone is the best smartphone in the world. :eek:

davemacdo

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2015
Wichita, KS
I am a new iPhone user after having used Android phones and tablets for about six years. My switch had everything to do with new iOS 8 features (and the apps that use them) and nothing to do with the screen size. For years, when people asked me what I liked about Android, I would have shown them my custom keyboard and the ways apps connected with one another. While these are far from perfect on iOS, they are coming along. (I really miss SwiftKey on Android a lot. You guys only *think* you have used SwiftKey.)

And perhaps the biggest thing was Continuity/Handoff. The connection between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro (which I've been using for about three years) are the greatest benefit. Pundits always talk about iPhones and iPads being "halo devices" for Macs. For me, the Mac was my halo device for iOS.

In short, the hardware is great, but the reason I'm here is actually the software. If you look (and you do have to look pretty hard), you can find beautifully designed Android devices. Thing is, none of them runs iOS or supports any iOS apps.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
The many Android switchers aren't really surprising, as the 6 is the first generic looking big-ass smartphone from Apple. Most people I know still have a 5/5s because of the mediocre design of the 6.

I think it's more because they can't afford a 6/6+ than their design. The design on 6/6+ beats the 5 hands down. Sleek, rounded edges on screen corners...makes the 5 look clunky. The back is ugly but who doesn't use a case nowadays? You'll never see those bands.

I've always preferred the iPod 5G design over the iPhones. Now it's a reality.

xdigi

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Was using Android out of need for Wifi calling when I switched to T-Mobile. When the iPhone 6 came out, I went back and have never been happier.

Seriously, nothing makes you appreciate iOS more than being stuck on the wasteland that is Android.

GangstaGehard

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Long time Android user. Dropped phone 1 week before iPhone 6 so that's what I'm using now. The decision to switch was much easier now that they aren't toy sized.

I've had a great time learning iOS and I love my iPhone but unless the 6S comes with more than 1 GB of ram, I'm going back to Android. I'm feeling the crunch whenever that gig is taxed. And hopefully iOS 9 will bring with it more common sense changes.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012

Then by this logic Apple is really doomed as the middle class in the U.S. becomes more and more squeezed and "wealth" is harder and harder to attain except for those who were already in the top 1%. :D

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I had a few iPhones, latest was the iPhone 5. I switched to the Note 4 to test the Android platform ( I wasn't thrilled with the 6) and boy, it was a mistake. I already had a nexus 7 (and ipad), so I knew Android. I will switch back to Apple for good when I have the chance.

:D

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Love those headlines! Let's make a general assumption that those new iPhone users didn't just buy a second phone or came from Windows or Blackberry.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I was one of those Android switchers. Was looking forward to the larger screen on the iPhone after using a 4 and 4S previously. I've been using my 6 Plus since it came out and I still feel like I should have gone with the Nexus 6 instead.

I've mostly got my phone where I like it now with tons of jailbreak tweaks, but it still isn't perfect. Stock Android on a Nexus device with Xposed = best.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
As a long time iPhone user I wish Apple would give me a phone with the 5/5S industrial design, iPhone 6 display size and the 6 Plus's resolution. Now that would be a phone! With 2GB of LPDDR and the latest internals of course.

Why do you think Apple have record quarters? They carefully withhold certain things in order to make sure that the desire of a new phone remains in consumers. That's not to say that they make bad phones, but there are certain things they're carefully withholding. To some degree I feel that's why they haven't been plateauing, unlike their competitors.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
As much as I really hate my iPhone now and iOS 8 (buggy "mess") Android is just a mess overall. Every time I dip my toe in the Android waters (because I prefer Android hardware), I go crawling back to the safe confines of iOS. There are just too many buggy apps in the Android market, it feels disjointed and doing simple things like syncing music seems arcane and obtuse to me - and I work in Tech so I'm not a complete newb..
Syncing? Plug it in, move files over, done. Nothing to "sync"....

----------

Sarcasm? Because it's total ********* and such an old and tired argument.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

This is one of the most ridiculous far fetched and uninformed things I have read in a long time on the Mac Rumours forum.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

How many places have you've been in the world? Because I can tell you that is not that case. It's is a played out argument that android is for the poor.

I live in Qatar which is one of the top five richest countries in the world. Most people here are well off.And Samsung phones like note 4 and s5 are big here. HTC has even gained popularity here.

It is incredibly elitist and misinformed of you to make such a statement. Even if android was for poor people so what? Does that make them less of a person because they don't own an iPhone. is it a bad thing that other companies make phones that people in 3rd world counties can actually afford?

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
It is incredibly elitist and misinformed of you to make such a statement. Even if android was for poor people so what? Does that make them less of a person because they don't own an iPhone. is it a bad thing that other companies make phones that people in 3rd world counties can actually afford?
I have seen many Apple users say this on various forums, and some of them actually do look down on Android users like they are second class. It's disgusting.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Android is now primarily for poor people worldwide, iPhone for rich people,

I think you're confused because Android phones are available in a wide range of prices, but all you consider are the lower priced models.

Worldwide, there are about five times as many Android phones sold as iPhones, so it doesn't take many of them to be equivalent to what Apple sells.

E.g. in 2014, Apple will have sold roughly 180 million phones, against almost a billion Android phones. So it would only take 1/5 of Android sales to be considered upper end to match all of Apple 6 and 5 series sales.

In reality, these days even $300 will buy a really nicely equipped smartphone. It's like with any other technology: prices drop over time.

and as some people move up the financial ranks they switch from Android to iPhone.

The overwhelming majority of iPhone sales occur where the user pays from nothing to about $200 upfront, because of subsidies.

In other words, with most sales in the US, UK, and especially Japan... none of which are considered poor countries, although many poor people in the US do have an iPhone.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I have seen many Apple users say this on various forums, and some of them actually do look down on Android users like they are second class. It's disgusting.

Worse was the users who said they'd never buy the 5c and would rather buy the 4s bc the 4s was a premium model and the 5c proved they couldn't afford the premium model. talk about snobbery of the worst kind.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
This seemed like a foregone conclusion to me - know a lot of iOS users who got tired of waiting for a bigger phone, switched and then switched back when the 6/6+ came out. Glad :apple: was able to capitalize on the pent up demand

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
present market share regression data from similar timelines of prior launches to show the trends.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

The funny thing is they think having an iPhone automatically makes them a high class member of society or something. There was a family I use to nanny for that were extremely well off. Husband and wife both had note 3s. They were more than capable of buying iPhones but they chose androids.

iPhones only cost $199 in the US with a 2 year contract. Not that much money. Those same elitist aren't even buying them at the unlocked price of $700 upwards.

It kills me everytime they make the "android is for poor man" argument.

Last edited:

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Yep - and I am proud to have contributed to the success of the iPhone 6 Plus! I love my big phone. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.