Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
don't be stupid, your iPad battery is designed for that specific amperage. The iPhone is not - ask yourself this. If it was good for the iPhone battery to take higher amps would Apple not give you a higher amp charger?

I mean:

1. They could standardise to a single charger for all products.
2. Happy customers because their phones charge super fast.

Common sense people!

you have any schematics or valid information to support what your saying? Atleast the OP put some information and testing to the table but your wanting someone to just take your word..Atleast give links to support your THEORY...Apple states that is fine

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Does anyone know how you can tell the iPhone 6/6 Plus are fully charged? With iTunes 11 it displayed a little PLUG icon indicating it was fully charged. Now, it only shows a lightening bolt...

100% Charged ≠ fully charged with iOS 7/8.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does anyone know how you can tell the iPhone 6/6 Plus are fully charged? With iTunes 11 it displayed a little PLUG icon indicating it was fully charged. Now, it only shows a lightening bolt...

100% Charged ≠ fully charged with iOS 7/8.
For all realistic purposes being at 100% is just fine to say it's fully charged even if there's a bit more of trickle charge that is still going on. As of iOS 7 there's no indicator on the phone to differentiate between just being plugged in and actually charging.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
More powerful but won't charge any faster. My iPad 2.4a adapter shows the same amp and watt as a 2.1a adapter. The limit seems to be 2.1a for the iPhone.

Is that the limit to the battery or the top limit that the device can draw fully under load? Also, what iPhone are you talking about?

chinmay007

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Found this on the apple website. Hope this settles the issue with fast and slow charging. Also it surely means fast charging is not "unhealthy".

Attachments

• IMG_20141205_234832.png
    IMG_20141205_234832.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 288

Healz

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Clueless People Talk Too Much!!

As was stated previously, the phone draws the current; current isn't pushed through the phone, destroying circuits in its path, like some have alluded to on this forum. LOL! Furthermore, phones and most electronic devices, these days, are built with protections in place. If the current being drawn (yes, I said, "drawn"; not "pushed) were too high, the phone would protect itself and divert the current or shut the charging off altogether. Sure, you could argue that the circuits get hotter while charging and drawing more current, but, again, the phone is built with protective circuits that monitor for excessive heat among other things. People that don't understand how electricity and circuits work should not be giving advice on these forums and pretending they know what they're talking about. All they do is confuse others and delude themselves!! :eek:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
For anyone interested, Walmart has the 12W apple charger for $12! I bought all 5 at a local walmart here in Chicago for stocking stuffers lol.

i wanted to buy more at another walmart, but they didn't carry it at all. So your mileage may vary. i think its a pretty sweet price though!

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Usb adapters that are not design for Apple devices will default to 1a. Try a 2.1a adapter that's compatibile with Apple devices.

Does this statement (defaulting to 1A) remain valid for all 3rd Party USB Chargers, except for the Apple originals, even though these former ones are MFi certified? (Like those from Belkin, Anker, Artwizz, Hama, Philips and the like?:confused:

----------

Does any one know the max. safe charging current ratings specified for iP5,
iP5S, iP5C, iP6, iP6+ ?

Well, surely the phones's charging circuitry has a control chip that will limit the charging current to a "safe value" in order not to jeopardise both the charging circuit as well as the Lithium battery itself. Also I am aware that the charging current for any smart one will not be a constant value while it charges down from 1% up to 100%. Probably after charging the initial 60%-70% or so of the battery with a higher (allowed) current, the charging current begins to trickle down for topping up the rest...

Last edited:

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Does this statement (defaulting to 1A remain valid for all 3rd Party USB Chargers, except for the Apple originals, even though these former ones are MFi certified? (Like those from Belkin, Anker, Artwizz, Hama, Philips and the like?:confused:

What is your question? The sentence above is incomplete and has two open parens and no close parens. "Does this statement"...what?

Aren't MFi-certified devices designed/compatible for Apple?

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Anybody with Solid Idea/Info?

Does anyone have a firm information about Apple's specs as what the maximum allowed charging currents for iP5, iP5S, iP5C, iP6 & iP6+ are specified for? I mean, the max. allowed (but not continious...) DC charging current that will be safe both for the iPhone's input/charging circuitry as well as for the phone's Lithium battery???

I am aware that the specified charging current for any iPhone (or smart phone regardless of the OS) is not a constant value. When you start charging such a smart phone, say from 1% upwards, for the initial 60-70% of charge cycle the phone will allow/require a near to that maximum or maximum charging current (which I'm asking about, above...) assuming the charging device can provide it, and then the current will go/drop to a trickling mode.:apple:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does this statement (defaulting to 1A) remain valid for all 3rd Party USB Chargers, except for the Apple originals, even though these former ones are MFi certified? (Like those from Belkin, Anker, Artwizz, Hama, Philips and the like?:confused:

----------

Does any one know the max. safe charging current ratings specified for iP5,
iP5S, iP5C, iP6, iP6+ ?

Well, surely the phones's charging circuitry has a control chip that will limit the charging current to a "safe value" in order not to jeopardise both the charging circuit as well as the Lithium battery itself. Also I am aware that the charging current for any smart one will not be a constant value while it charges down from 1% up to 100%. Probably after charging the initial 60%-70% or so of the battery with a higher (allowed) current, the charging current begins to trickle down for topping up the rest...
Yes, the device will take in as much as needs and not more than it can support.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
We have had great luck with the Anker units and our various iPhones (5/5s/6). Their IQ technology in the newer devices adapts to the device charging needs automatically, so separate 1.0/2.1A ports are no longer needed. They are also tremendous value for the money compared to the mAh capacity of similar products. (No affiliation, etc.)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Zord

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Its clear no one here understands Li-Ion battery chemistry. I've been following this stuff for a while now for EVs (I drive a Volt).

A Li-Ion battery's usable life is determined by three variables - calendar life, cycle life, and charging rate (measured in "C" which is the ratio between charging rate and battery capacity in mAh - so "1C" is discharging or recharging the battery in 1 hour, 0.5 is two hours, and 2C is 30 minutes).

Recent research from Stanford Univ. has shown the effects of "slow charging" to be overstated, and the effects of fast-charging less harmful than originally thought.

Recharging an iPhone 5S at 1A is about .63C (1000mA / 1570mAh). Recharging an iPhone 6 Plus at 2.1A is .71C (2100mA / 2950mA). The difference there is not enough to dramatically effect the lifespan of the battery cell. The 6 has a higher charge rate of 1.16C, but I don't beleive that its very harmful to the battery and the higher charge rate will not shorten the overall lifespan of the battery. For reference, recharging an iPad Air at 2.1A is .24C ( 2100mA / 8820mAh).

Its not until you go over 2C that you start to see substantial impacts. Even Tesla owners who fast-charge frequently still have 99% original battery capacity after more than 100 cycles.

Great info here. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.