iPhone 6 - does it feel cheap to you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yep-sure, Sep 18, 2014.

1. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Just tried out the display models in store. The 6+ is awesome, but way too big.

Is it just me, or do they feel cheaper and not as high quality as previous iPhones? The buttons were loose, the aluminium back doesn't feel as high quality as the 5 series, and the bands give it that cheap appearance.

I was surprised at how cheap they felt. Makes me feel a lot better about my decision to hold off on upgrading this time around.

The thinness and round edges probably contribute to the cheap feeling.

The screens looked and felt great though, my concerns are mainly with the unibody and buttons.

What are your thoughts? Are those who have received their 6's happy with the build quality and how the feel in hand?

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

The straight sides and chamfered edges of the 5/5s give it a more premium look to me.

Still... the 6/6+ are effin' beautiful pieces of machinery.

4. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

Not enough money to upgrade? Too bad.

5. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

This thread feels cheap

50 review all said it feels amazing and high quality.

But im going to believe you.

Fart

6. stasha macrumors 6502

you really looking for a reason to justify your decision not to upgrade this time

7. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

8. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just snort laughed.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It's not going to feel any different next year, so you'll be skipping that one, too.

10. yep-sure thread starter macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I just offered my opinion, and asked for yours. Obviously you haven't used an iPhone 6 yet. But yeah, I'll trust my own experience over internet reviews any day.

Also, there's no need to get so upset. It's just someone's opinion on the Internet.

Maybe check back in once you've actually used a 6 and let us know what you think then.

----------

Haha, maybe a little.

I was still on the fence, my iPhone 5 battery is rubbish, so I was considering buying a 6 or 6+, however after using them in store I just can't justify spending the money on something I wouldn't be happy with.

Have you got your 6 yet? What do you think of it?

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Aw no, not the dreaded loose buttons again :-(
    My i5 has loose volume buttons and they definitely cheapen the feel of the device. What with a paltry 1GB of RAM and a cheap build quality, what a downer for all that money.

13. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

I'll let you know my opinion later today.

The iPhone 5c looked cheap to me but when I held it, it was fairly nice feeling.

I do think the glossiness of it makes it look cheap, but only holding it will give me a real opinion of it.

14. yep-sure thread starter macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Agreed, the 5C feels great in hand.

15. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Well it's still pretty in my dreams and its blasphemy to speak or think bad thoughts about the iPhone......lol

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

This loose buttons thing sucks. My i5 has loose buttons, but a mate has an i5 with solid buttons. My old i4 had solid buttons, but many reported having loose buttons. A colleague's 5S has loose buttons, but my partner's old 5S didn't have. It's pure luck of the draw and for an expensive, premium, device it just shouldn't be down to luck. Apple churn these phones out and the QC is shoddy. My first five iPhone 5 handsets were scratched, and the sixth that I ended up keeping has loose buttons. Three of the previous five had loose buttons. Dammit Apple, what the heck??

17. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

Pure unadulterated trolling, there.

I know I shouldn't feed you, but still, what a joke your post is.

18. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Lol

19. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. Why would you say something like that? I didn't upgrade, does that mean that I don't have enough money to upgrade? My 750 dollar iPhone 5s begs to differ! Lol.

Again, I DONT want to start anything, its just that in his opinion it feels cheap. Whats wrong with that? Lol.

20. yep-sure thread starter macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Yeah, the 5 series had pretty inconsistent quality control it seems. I'm on my third (replaced under warranty) for defects, and the buttons felt different on each.

I actually held 3 iPhone 6's today and they all had loose buttons, especially the mute control. It felt very loose and plastic like. The volume buttons also moved around a bit on all three.

Hopefully these are the exceptions rather than the rule.

21. AverageBob macrumors member

Would you be able to keep exchanging iphones at the apple score for an issue like "loose buttons" until you get a perfect one?

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's extremely disappointing. I think though that your own experience with the i5 points to this not being an exception :-(
    These phones are still made in the same factories and with the same huge turnaround. I'm just miffed that Apple didn't improve the design of the volume/mute/sleep buttons so that assembly needn't be such a lottery. Sure the volume buttons are larger and they have changed position, but they still appear to use the same design.

23. yep-sure thread starter macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Yeah, it's strange considering the current iPad's have the same style buttons but don't feel cheap and loose at all.

The buttons in combination with how thin and slippery it is, gives the whole device that cheap feeling. The back unibody also feels cheap - it's really hard to describe, but I expected it to feel solid like my iPad Mini, but it feels nothing like that.

24. Philip504 macrumors member

That is a lot of loose buttons! :)