Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I think people are so used to the "feel" of the iPhone 5/5S models that the totally new case design of the iPhone 6 may take some getting used to.

Maybe, but I think there are certainly some questionable design choices with this model.

When the 4 came out, I thought it felt and looked outstanding, even though I was used to my 3GS.

It's all subjective though, of course.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think people are so used to the "feel" of the iPhone 5/5S models that the totally new case design of the iPhone 6 may take some getting used to.

You never get used to loose buttons. I've had them on my i5 since unboxing it and they've bugged me throughout my period of ownership. I gave my old i4 to my father and that thing still has tight buttons. It feels like a much higher quality device as a result.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Going from the 4S to the 5 I thought the 5 felt cheap as hell. It was too light. Now it feels heavy lol.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Just got my 6, the build quality is amazing. The buttons feel way bettering sturdy then my iPhone 5's. Really loving it so far.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I just went to the store, tried the phones, and canceled my in store pickup so that it would go back into the pool of phones for folks waiting on line.

My verdict: The phone build quality is great, but I do believe the design is a step backwards. The lines are ugly and poorly executed, in my opinion, and the sharp edges of the protruding camera were constantly scraping on my fingers while holding the device. I'll stick with my 5s.

Having said that, most people probably aren't as obsessive as I am. The phones are fine, enjoy them if you're buying them, don't worry if you're not.

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
So yeah. After playing around with the iPhone for a while, it does feel cheap.

While the back and thinness are okay the front is the downfall the glossy curvy glass looks and feels like plastic.

It doesn't sit right either, afraid my vote is on the iPhone 5s on being a higher quality integrated device.

Royalstorm

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Just got my 64 Gb iPhone 6. I notice a slight rattle when shaking it, which seems to be coming my from the volume and lock buttons. The buttons do have a little play in them as well. Certainly not as solid as my iPhone 5!

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Mixed responses, as expected.

Thanks for posting your opinions guys - it's good to know there are some out there who can discuss an Apple product objectively.

I have a Genius appointment today for my iPhone 5 battery, I'll take another look at the 6's then but I doubt my opinion will change.

I might look at getting a 5S if they can't find a problem with my 5. They're not still selling the 64gb model are they?

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Just tried out the display models in store. The 6+ is awesome, but way too big.

Is it just me, or do they feel cheaper and not as high quality as previous iPhones? The buttons were loose, the aluminium back doesn't feel as high quality as the 5 series, and the bands give it that cheap appearance.

I was surprised at how cheap they felt. Makes me feel a lot better about my decision to hold off on upgrading this time around.

The thinness and round edges probably contribute to the cheap feeling.

The screens looked and felt great though, my concerns are mainly with the unibody and buttons.

What are your thoughts? Are those who have received their 6's happy with the build quality and how the feel in hand?

Me thinks that's just your confirmation bias

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Not enough money to upgrade? Too bad.

does this shot feel cheap to you?

seriously though im postibg on it and it doesnt feel cheaply made at all. the thinness of it is weird, the glass is nice, it doesnt feel cheap. similar things were said from the 4 to the 5 because of the weight. i think its just change, and that stupid nagging consumerist feeling of being left out that we all get and is so powerful. so yeah if it helps you keep from spending extra $ needlessly for a shiney new toy, sure it feels cheap. stay strong.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
It feels anything but cheap. Some of the responses here are incredible. The 6 feels like a solid, premium smartphone. I've never held a more satisfying iPhone when it comes to how it feels.

These forums have become a joke - you have to factor self-justification into every single post, as people try and convince themselves they chose the right model. It's resulted in a meaningless mess of subjective, agenda-driven threads.

Shame - this could have been a cool place to celebrate our purchases.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Upgrading from a 4S to a 6 today I have to agree the 6 feels cheap. My 4S feels more solid and better constructed using more substantial materials. With 4S in 3 years I used it I never felt need to use a case with the 6 I don't think I dare try that.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My sister got hers today through her 2 year upgrade (so replacing her 5). I was at work when she got it but she text to say she really didn't like the feel of it at all. I asked why and said she thought it felt a bit cheap (she got the normal 6) and she just wasn't particularly 'interested' in it.

When I got in I asked to see and she just pointed to the floor where the box was, with the phone in it! I asked why she hadn't set it up and she said she didn't think she wanted it, was gonna think it over.

I've had a quick play with it myself tonight, not a fan. But I didn't like the 5/5S purely because of the metal body. I don't like how cold, hard and rigid it feels in the hand (why I opted for the 5c, which I love), but coupled with the thinner body I think this feels like the iPod touch line. It's not a bad thing, but it's not what I'd personally want or expect from the newest iPhone.

That stick out camera is the biggest problem though, really un-Apple like, design wise. And the back of the phone is hideous. I think it's the worst design yet but of course this is just my own personal opinion which I think I'm allowed to have, but judging by some responses, I'm prob not entitled to.

I'm not surprised my sister isn't interested. I don't upgrade until The end of October, but now I'm not sure what to do as I was pretty set on the 6 until I've had a hands on.

But yeah, agree with all you say OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.