iPhone 6 Early Upgrade for AT&T!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aklmka, Sep 12, 2014.

1. aklmka macrumors newbie

So I just got off the phone with the retentions department and they said if I called in next Friday again to the retentions department they would be able to override my upgrade eligibility. My contract ends December so AT&T is effectively moving it up 3 months. The only downside is that you have to order from AT&T and they have horrid shipping times for the iPhone 6/6 Plus currently.

2. wesselya macrumors member

How did you get this done? They wouldnt do it for me. I only have 40 days left.

PM me if u can

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Do you always pay your bill on time?
    They like good customers.

4. wesselya macrumors member

I have been a customer for the longest time. They used to do this no problem but now with the NEXT plane they are like NEXT!!!!! or wait...

They give the we cant do anything on iphones. Especially on pre orders. if you wanted any other phone we could but you need to wait or go to NEXT plan.

I am on a family plan not shared grandfathered unlimited. Its not to my benefit to go to next.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

AT&T is weird. I have 2 lines that are on contract until September of 2015 and when I called to check, both of them were eligible for the full discounted upgrade price but the catch is I have to order through them. My 3 other lines which also expire September-October 2015 are only eligible for the partial discounted price(+$250). It doesn't matter to me anyway as I ended up using the next option. When I did the math, it cost the same. I just didn't have to come up with hundreds up front.

6. jon889 macrumors newbie

Also struggling with getting an early upgrade. I've been an AT&T customer since the original iPhone - it used to be that they'd grant early upgrades for iPhone users. I wasn't able to get my hands on an iPhone 5 until a few months after launch, and now that early upgrades are gone, I'm effectively screwed out of getting an iPhone at launch ever again!

I'm not looking to rent my phone through NEXT, and $250 is far too much to hand over for a 45 day early upgrade.

Like most of us, I can't get anyone to budge on the phone... are we stuck?

7. wesselya macrumors member

Anyone help us? I don't think att budges as much as they used to because of the next program. it would not be too much of an issue to push an upgrade but ATT has been strict! any success stories?

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Your service plan has nothing to do with how you want to pay for your phone. You can sign up for NEXT and they forgive your current contract and you make monthly payments that get added to your current plan.
    You can keep you un-shared plan just like it is, and also keep you unlimited.

9. wesselya macrumors member

Yeah but what is the point for me? if I was on a mobile share plane I could get $25 discount per month and it would be worth it. Now I can pay only $300 for 6 plus or $750 with NEXT?

I honestly don't get NEXT and why people love it. If I could get the $25 discount for ATT forcing me to do NEXT versus them shelling $400 out of pocket then I would understand.

This is like going to buy a new car. If ATT is saying NEXT is the best. The truth is you should stay away from it!

10. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Sounds like they gave you a line to get you off of the phone and you took it.

11. wesselya macrumors member

Yep... Hate to say this guy will be on a wild goose chase. This happened to me before and I complained that there error made me wait another week to order and cost me another 2 weeks of waiting
    :apple:

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I went through two chats online with ATT on Friday evening and early Saturday morning trying to get my eligibility pulled forward. Basically my whole argument was that although my contract doesn't expire until October 1st, I won't be even getting an iPhone 6 Plus before then due to the backlog. I went round and round with them as I wanted to do the preorder on Friday. They gave me three options - wait until 10-01-2014, go with the Next plan or spend 95 to buy out my current contract. I told them my forth option was to spend not a cent more with ATT and preorder my new phone with a new contract through Verizon.

Let me tell you, I was totally mad about their whole business of not budging for 2 weeks left on the contract, especially when I wouldn't even have the phone by then.

I did phone call ATT on Saturday morning and they made my eligibility current. I was within minutes of switching to Verizon even though I really didn't want to change carriers. I like ATT - like my plan price and have unlimited data. So I'm glad I got them to move.

13. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Probably because they know they won't deliver the phone until December anyway ;)

:apple:

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

For some, staying on a 2 year contract that are NOT on a share plan does work for them. And that may be the case for you. But if you think that you are ONLY paying $300 for your phone, you are incorrect. You are paying the same for your phone as if you were on NEXT because you are locked into a 2 year contract that as you have seen, the only way to get out of that contract if to pay an ETF which brings it to the same $750.

If you have not finished out your 2 year contract you cannot expect them to just let you off the hook. Those days are gone. But please don't mis-understand what the NEXT plan does. It works for some and not others.
    Those that NEXT works the best for are families under a share plan where each phone pays a fee to access that share. You get a discount off the share if you are on NEXT. If on contract, then no.
    It's quite simple really.

15. wesselya macrumors member

Iphone $199 + ETF is $325 how did we get to full retial? and on NExt I know I am out of contact but if o do stay with atT . I am not paying the ETF and it only costs me $200.

So how do you justify this again?

16. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

So you ONLY paid $199 to ATT and you have never had to pay another cent?
    You don't have monthly ongoing bills from them for the 2 years. Right?
    Wrong.
    I rest my case.

17. wesselya macrumors member

How do you rest your case? ATT next is more expensive than a family plan and they offer a 15-25$ discount because they are screwing you to switch to next.

With next you are out of contact but you still pay monthly fees. if we consider that 2 customers stay with att for 2 years than the contract is WAY cheaper.

18. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I have tried to explain it to you in everyway I can but I see you are stuck in not understanding the concept that no matter if on contract or NEXT you still pay the same amount for your phone.
    So I will move on.
    But I will leave you with this excellent link to the ATT calculator, that will allow you to plug in your info and let you compare different scenarios and different ways to go.
    It is an excellent way to see which way works best for you.
    http://www.myattrpc.com/

19. wesselya macrumors member

I am not sure you follow. But thank you. on a two year contract you do not pay full retail!

20. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Did your status change online? I bet you can still order from apple. I don't believe there's a stipulation set on your account that limits you to ordering from at&t. Of course they would rather you buy from them. Try starting an order on apple and see what happens...

21. mgarc1125 macrumors newbie

That calculator doesn't apply for people with older unlimited plans. The truth is if you have grandfathered unlimited plans and you want to keep it DO NOT UPGRADE WITH NEXT.

If you keep unlimited and upgrade with 2 year contract, you get a $450 subsidy on the phone which you essentially pay over 2 years. The subsidy is built into the cost of your plan. For example, my plan is $70 a month for unlimited data, 450 voice, 1500 SMS. 16gb iPhone is $200. Total cost over 24 months is $1880.

But if you keep unlimited and upgrade with NEXT you end up paying full retail price of the phone over 2 years in addition to the $450 subsidy that's built into the plan. AT&T obfuscates the subsidy in your older service plans. For example, my plan stays at $70 a month over two years but now I pay full price $650 for the phone. Total cost over 24 months is $2330

22. wesselya macrumors member

Finally Someone who gets it

it is worth it with the NEXT program because you get $25 off of the mobile share plan but ATT is trying to force everyone into their mobile share plan..

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, the irony is if you order from ATT on Friday it might take them until Dec to ship to you. :D Good luck. Hopefully it shows up later this month.

24. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

They made a significant change to their upgrade policy last year. Inquire about it politely and if ur a long time customer in good standing they may hook u up.

25. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Some of us have grandfathered plans. Moving to Mobile Value would only save me $10/mo so Next + mobile share didn't make sense. I pay $150/mo for 2 lines, with UDP, 700mins and 200 texts.