Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I hate this guy... Really... This is one of the stupidest Apple hater. He usually called Apple products an overprice *****. But now he looks like joke being excited for iPhone 6. Cant wait his 1m Android fans how to react.

He is using a $50k red dragon video camera for his blog lol. He is doing something right.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I hate this guy... Really... This is one of the stupidest Apple hater. He usually called Apple products an overprice *****. But now he looks like joke being excited for iPhone 6. Cant wait his 1m Android fans how to react.

He isn't an Apple hater... he has a 6 core 2013 Mac Pro that he does all of his video production on. I wouldn't even really call him an iPhone hater. He owns an iPhone 5S, he just prefers Android... and there is nothing wrong with that. I have flip flopped from iPhone to Android several times. But I have a feeling that Yosemite's features will keep me locked into iOS for a while.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I like MKBHD.

I wish he would have tried scratching it with sand. Even if he had the strength of the Hulk, no amount of force will allow knives/keys to scratch it. It all has to do with the Mohs hardness scale.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
i don't think it is a purple hue, seems like it is just a reflection

It seems like it happened a few different times. I remember this was a huge deal when Apple started using sapphire with the camera lens and people were getting that in certain shots.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It seems like it happened a few different times. I remember this was a huge deal when Apple started using sapphire with the camera lens and people were getting that in certain shots.

The purple hue wasn't from the sapphire lens, it was from the fact that the depth of the camera had been reduced. The thinner body of the iPhone was the cause.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

yes i had this problem, if the lens was pointed towards a light source a purple spot would appear in the picture. let's hope this isn't the case.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
He isn't an Apple hater... he has a 6 core 2013 Mac Pro that he does all of his video production on. I wouldn't even really call him an iPhone hater. He owns an iPhone 5S, he just prefers Android... and there is nothing wrong with that. I have flip flopped from iPhone to Android several times. But I have a feeling that Yosemite's features will keep me locked into iOS for a while.

I think he has a 5s as a daily also

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The purple hue wasn't from the sapphire lens, it was from the fact that the depth of the camera had been reduced. The thinner body of the iPhone was the cause.

I think it may have also been a coating used for the lens? Maybe if was just a reflection of a monitor in the room or what not.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Seeing as he couldn't scratch it I'm guessing there's no more coating on it? Nice. That's the thing that typically would be scuffed before. Bring on sapphire.

Wonder if it will be in the next iPads...

----------

I think he has a 5s as a daily also

He does.

----------

Way to talk about something you clearly know nothing about and make yourself look foolish.

His desktop in a Mac Pro. His laptop is a rMBP. He has an iPad Mini Retina always on his desk, and as mentioned he uses a 5S as one of his phones.

Liking Android also ≠ being an Apple hater. He's one of the few who actually gives his honest opinion and isn't an overt fanboy.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
but will it blend?

It would be pretty hilarious if it didn't! I'm sure this will, but I can only imagine the look on that guys face if it doesn't actually blend. Would that mean Apple wins and they stop making blending videos forever? Or do they go back to the drawing board? Hah.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
What is there to examine?
Is it sapphire or not? Easiest way to do that would be to use something harder to scratch it, like sand (at least I heard that this is the kind of material Corning is still struggling with). I don't think you'd need a microscope for that. Actually I'm not even sure whether you could tell anything by looking at it through a microscope. The only properties that are testable are it's hardness (it's pretty much harder than anything but diamond), it's density (it's a lot heavier than glass) and it's refraction index (which is about 1.76, unlike 1.5, what is found in typical glasses). Latter is actually quite hard to measure, even though it's a very basic material constant. You either need a refractometer or a interferometer, both are not very common. But I guess there are more creative ways to do that.

Tbh I don't think it is sapphire. It's just Gorilla Glass. There is no way you could bend Sapphire like that, unless Apple invented some secret super material.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Iphone 5s, you look so small now. 4.7" will be mine as long as i can get vodafone to update me before contract finishes! :rolleyes:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Ok, this sapphire glass looks pretty impressive.

But how does it stack up against Transparent Aluminium?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I hope that Apple does not revert to having the FaceTime camera to the left of the speaker, a-la iPhone 4/4S. The lack of symmetry just seems odd for an Apple product.

Because there is symmetry if the light ambient sensor is to the left side of the speaker?
Because the bottom of the iPhone 5/5s is symmetric? Because the rear camera hole is placed in center?
Get over it. :p

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
He's owns more Apple products than u#

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
What's the deal with the oleophobic coating? It's still going to get micro scratches, which is what most people think are scratches on the glass.

fjpoblam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Quality is a thing of the past?

Quality is a thing of the past, I guess :(

Used to be that keys were built strong to survive thousands of uses, a knife would cut whatever you wanted to cut, and a good shoe would never flex like that under the pressure of some random piece of a telephone.

Mebbe they should have tried it with a Craftsman claw hammer. Still works for us.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I'd say phone screens haven't needed screen protectors for a few years now. I bought my last screen protector in about 2011 and have used every device since then without it. Not a single scratch on any of them (I get a new device every year). Of course I don't purposely rub keys and knives on them, but in day to day use it held up just fine.

Then again, this is one anecdotal experience and obviously it doesn't apply to everyone.

My 3GS has been used daily since March 2010 and still hasn't got a single scratch that I can see... Never used a case or screen protector...

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
What are you saying...? This video isn't about the bad quality of keys or good shoes.

Are you saying that Sapphire is the next best thing in the field of quality rendering old products once labeled "quality" irrelevant?

If you don't get it, maybe best you don't comment. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to discern in written correspondence.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

NO, You must pick one and only one and fight your choice to the death! Anything else is illogical.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm still going to reserve judgement as to whether that is an actual sapphire glass panel. It could very easily be a Gorilla Glass 3 panel. A very similar test was done on the HTC One (not M8) over a year ago and that phone achieved similar results. The flexing really made me think it was GG3 since it flexes just like that. Without a materials test, I will view that panel with a healthy bit of skepticism.

HTC One scratch test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNI9Kflqw4

Skeptical is good, but considering the way the folks at Corning have been dissing sapphire, simply matching GG3 would be quite a feat. So, if it is sapphire, that takes a bit of wind out of Corning's sails.

Now, the HTC One test did not include a knife-point test - it was a knife-edge, and a slicing action, at that. Obviously, we don't know how the HTC One would have fared with knife-point, so no proof, one way or the other.

Knife point vs. knife edge is quite critical, as the force of a knife-point test is focused on one point, while knife-edge is distributed across the area of blade that simultaneously contacts the screen (if the blade doesn't contact squarely, the force is distributed over time as well as space).

In materials of this sort, breakage generally takes place where there is an existing scratch (the traditional method for cutting glass). Depending on thickness (and other properties), glass can be quite flexible (think fiber optics), so flexibility by itself may not prove much, other than that there are no existing flaws. There's no way other components of the phone (LCD display, metal case) could survive being bent to even a fraction of what was shown - knife-point is a far more practical test.

I'm wondering about that bend test, as one of pure sapphire's characteristics is greater rigidity than glass.

However, based on information that's circulating, Apple's screen may be a composite, with an outer surface of sapphire, a sapphire/glass transition zone, and glass backing. As with glass/polycarbonate composite "bulletproof" glass, it's supposed to inherit the best of both materials, with the end result greater than the sum of the parts.

A sand test may not prove much more than the knife test. Quartz (the hardest mineral you'll likely find in quantity in beach sand - Mohs hardness 7) is harder than common glass (5.5) and plain steel (4.5-5), but not as hard as hardened steel (7.5-8), and is likely softer than GG3 (reported variously from 7 to as high as 9) and, of course, sapphire (9). So it's possible the knife could be a more rigorous test than sand - depends on the knife.

A more interesting test would be a sandpaper test, as the force applied can be more effectively controlled, and the hardness of the abrasive material is known - garnet (6.5-7.5) is similar in hardness to quartz, while aluminum oxide and tungsten carbide are equivalent in hardness to sapphire (9) (well, sapphire is aluminum oxide).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.