Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
shaming

ha.. when you guys 'get your turn', you all light up public spaces obnoxiously with a sea of phablet phone garishness, and most don't have the decency to dim their screens in low light settings. there's more to it than just pocketability or a personal need for better movie/skype viewing in your bedroom in private. for me at least. phones are truly public nuisances sometimes.
not all of us are super thrilled that home entertainment systems trot around in public now consuming human resources usually reserved for not crashing into others as they walk, or taking in the scenery instead of screaming into an earbud about which gal or fella wronged you the night before. phablet fans are generally the most enthusiastic about 'hiding' in plain sight like this, imho. certainly where i live.
of course i know phone size doesn't dictate this behavior, but the phablet certainly encourages the idea that being fully entertained anywhere you desire is more important than most other things. like self-control, for one.

I am hoping for that critical mass moment when we can shame people for using smartphone in public excessively.

It was around 2006 or so people could shame others for talking loudly on phone in public spaces. Overnight, it became unpopular and a lot people became self conscious. I am hoping for the same in 2014.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
As we inch closer to the release of this new phone, all the members of the flat earth society claiming that Apple will never make a larger format phone seem to have disappeared. People, just deal with it.

If any of you out there are seriously going to avoid buying this phone just because the screen is slightly bigger, you have a serious aversion to change, even change for the better. Of course, if you've never even used a phone with a screen bigger than 3.5" (and I don't mean holding one at Best Buy), then you're not even in a position to be criticizing screen sizes.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
No, you are one of the very few. And I salute your ability to have a mind of you own, well done, and good on you for not doing what most others are doing now.

Not that long ago, any mention of larger screen was met with waves and waves of people on these forums saying no way. Don't need it, don't want it, Apple won't make it.

Now, in recent days, it's almost full of people saying YAY, I want BIG screen, take my money, can't wait.

It's utterly amazing, how, yet again, Apple fans totally 180 degree change their mind from hating and not wanting something to shouting, I want it, I want it.

I respect you for having a brain that has independent thought. Well done to you.

Only 2% of people here wanted a 5" plus phone:

https://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=6243

Another Poll here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1407517/

And Another:

https://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=9852

Looks like virtually no one here will be buying the 5.5" one if it comes out then huh?

:)

Time changes. How people use their phone changes. The complexity of apps changes. Social media apps caught on, more people are stuck to their phones now... and so on.

Back in the days, when I thought Dizzy Bee was the coolest game on the iPhone (to come to think of it.. it's still a cool game), and only occasionally browsed the web when mobile websites were unbearable... I really had no need for a 5.5" phone.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
this is a question for people who use a smartphone with bigger screen than 4.5"

If i have 1 hand busy, i can surface on my iphone with 4.7" or 5.5" with one hand, or can i make a call or answer ?

If one must ask if one handed use is possible then one should not even consider these phones. The bezel alone on the 4.7" would make it just as big as the 5.1" S5 . The 5.5" could end up being larger than the 5.7" Note 3.
Why not go and play with a 4.7" or 5.5" phone and see if you like it. Half the people here either stuck with iPhone, others went back to iPhone because the phone they had previously was to big and others really have no experience to tell you.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Where's the survey question about wanting a bigger bezel?

:rolleyes:

Well played sir, well played...

Unfortunately for us, I think Apple feels that the iPhone front including its home button and large top/bottom bezels, are now so iconic, and is what distinguishes the iPhone from the rest of the competition. This is why the ugly oversized bezel will remain, well after its size has proportionally increased beyond necessity as in the rumored 4.7 and 5.5 models. I would love to see them shrink the top and bottom bezel, but I think Apple has dug a hole and is afraid to change at this point.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
I think a lot of iPhone fans will finally discover what many other Android/WP users have long known:

2) Using larger screen devices with one hand is not impossible, and in fact, quite manageable. You'll learn to adjust. Those that used to claim it's impossible will eat their words when they learn just how quickly they'll adjust.

Not impossible, quite manageable is unacceptable.

Don't you trust Apple?

Are you sure it's "unacceptable"? Do you know what "unacceptable" means? That means you'll cease using any smartphone if one handed use isn't better than "quite manageable"...

If you're being honest, your resolve will be impressive.

But as I said in my OP, I have a feeling you (and others like you) will learn to adjust, and quite quickly, when you experience the added benefits firsthand. Especially when Apple tells you.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
If one must ask if one handed use is possible then one should not even consider these phones. The bezel alone on the 4.7" would make it just as big as the 5.1" S5 . The 5.5" could end up being larger than the 5.7" Note 3.
Why not go and play with a 4.7" or 5.5" phone and see if you like it. Half the people here either stuck with iPhone, others went back to iPhone because the phone they had previously was to big and others really have no experience to tell you.

Some definite truth spoken there. I switched to Galaxy S5 for its screen size and I can honestly say some things are truly 2 handed maneuvers. If someone is adamant that they want to retain 1 handed use of features, the 4.7" may be as big as they want to go, or even stick to the 4" 5S. I don't usually mind, but the occasional frustration does hit me when I have to use both hands and one of my hands is already occupied. Other than the size of the phone sometimes requiring two hands to operate, I have zero complaints about a 5" screen. I switched just to have it and it makes a world of difference. When the iPhone is released, the game changes and I'll probably be looking at Apple again when it's upgrade time.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
This is news? After Apple has refused to acknowledge consumer preferences and industry trends for years, suddenly out of the clear blue they wake up and decide to build something relevant. How hilarious. :D

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Consumers don’t plan on changing buying habits, survey finds! People still want new things!

Thanks, analysts. Not sure I would have figured that out on my own.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
What a bogus article. The majority of respondents want a bigger iPhone, lol. How convenient that Apple will be releasing one in a few months. It would have been real reporting back when Apple released their last stretched phone but the fanboys couldn't bring themselves to report it then. If the new phone looks like the mockups it will again be a disappointment because it will not be proportional. Apple clings to the oversize bezels and mechanical buttons. The difference in how 4.7 screens vary is illustrated between the HTC One vs. the Moto X. The Moto X feels good in the hand, is proportional, but the HTC One feels too tall because in their case they have big speakers at each end of the bezel. I'm hoping that Apple gets it right.

I'm with you, but nope. The iPhone 6 (4.7 and 5.5 models) will be just a proportionally upscaled iPhone 5s. Complete with big hulking top and bottom bezels and wasted space. Unfortunately, those bezels and home button is what Apple now views as defining iPhone attributes, and will probably never change as long as we're still using handheld phones.

Apple will never completely redesign it at this point and reduce or removed those bezels. We've seen too many leaks to think it'll be anything different this time around.

----------

ha.. when you guys 'get your turn', you all light up public spaces obnoxiously with a sea of phablet phone garishness, and most don't have the decency to dim their screens in low light settings. there's more to it than just pocketability or a personal need for better movie/skype viewing in your bedroom in private. for me at least. phones are truly public nuisances sometimes.
not all of us are super thrilled that home entertainment systems trot around in public now consuming human resources usually reserved for not crashing into others as they walk, or taking in the scenery instead of screaming into an earbud about which gal or fella wronged you the night before. phablet fans are generally the most enthusiastic about 'hiding' in plain sight like this, imho. certainly where i live.
of course i know phone size doesn't dictate this behavior, but the phablet certainly encourages the idea that being fully entertained anywhere you desire is more important than most other things. like self-control, for one.

Not sure if a .7" difference in phone size between the 5s and 6, really validates your argument here?

codydale

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Missouri
Above and Beyond

I wish [and really think it would be to Apple's great advantage] to start the size at 64GB. It really would not cost them that much to increase and it would be a huge benefit for its customers as well as individuals who have not considered an iPhone [ever or at least for a while]. Agree?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
This is news? After Apple has refused to acknowledge consumer preferences and industry trends for years, suddenly out of the clear blue they wake up and decide to build something relevant. How hilarious. :D

Considering that they once more are about to release one of the - if not the - best selling phone of its generation, I think they can very well live with someone calling them "hilarious".

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I assume this is talking about the US market (where the iPhone already has very large marketshare).

I'm sure in Europe the situation is very different. Android and Windows Phone are much, much stronger over here.

That's not true in the UK. And if it's true in Europe, that's only due to lack of funds or exposure to new tech.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I hate being called a "consumer"! I am NOT a consumer. I am a human.

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Am I the only person who does NOT want a bigger screen? Sheesh.

Yes.
We want something bigger than a child's play thing.
18614602-bristol-united-kingdom--october-4-2011-a-male-hand-holding-up-an-apple-iphone-3gs-at-bristol-temple-.jpg

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Exhibit 4:
Where are the options for wanting a new phone NOT on contract.

Count me in. I have a phone with a little screen because it's a PHONE. To do all the other things I carry an iPad because it will always do the web, email, games, and such better than any phone. Some may not want to carry two devices but I prefer a device optimized for its function.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
Don't you trust Apple?

Are you sure it's "unacceptable"? Do you know what "unacceptable" means? That means you'll cease using any smartphone if one handed use isn't better than "quite manageable"...

If you're being honest, your resolve will be impressive.

But as I said in my OP, I have a feeling you (and others like you) will learn to adjust, and quite quickly, when you experience the added benefits firsthand. Especially when Apple tells you.

Apple tells me? :D bhahaha

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

A 4.3" to 4.5" screen wouldn't be too bad, actually.

I had trouble with my old Galaxy S 2 (4.5" version). But the shape of my Moto G LTE (also 4.5") makes it easier to almost reach the entire screen with one hand.

MicaSbg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I just bought a Google Nexus 5 because I need a new phone by end of this week. Unfortunately the iPhone 6 is not available and the 5s was almost double the price, compared to the Nexus. :(
I think there are a lot of people like me who would like to buy an iPhone, but for a reasonable price. If the iPhone 6 will be even more expensive, then I am really interested to see how many people will actually buy it. Also the ridiculous 2-year contracts are absolutely outdated. This old marketing concept from 20 years ago needs to be changed. Some pay more for their phone per month than for their gas, or groceries. :confused:
Lets see where the market goes...

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
No, you are one of the very few. And I salute your ability to have a mind of you own, well done, and good on you for not doing what most others are doing now.

Not that long ago, any mention of larger screen was met with waves and waves of people on these forums saying no way. Don't need it, don't want it, Apple won't make it.

Now, in recent days, it's almost full of people saying YAY, I want BIG screen, take my money, can't wait.

It's utterly amazing, how, yet again, Apple fans totally 180 degree change their mind from hating and not wanting something to shouting, I want it, I want it.

I respect you for having a brain that has independent thought. Well done to you.

Only 2% of people here wanted a 5" plus phone:

https://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=6243

Another Poll here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1407517/

And Another:

https://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=9852

Looks like virtually no one here will be buying the 5.5" one if it comes out then huh?

:)

You have to look at the number of respondents to the polls. Not that many people vs the number of members and lookers on this site. Not an accurate way to judge appeal of larger screens IMO.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Time changes. How people use their phone changes. The complexity of apps changes. Social media apps caught one, more people are stuck to their phones now... and so on.

Funny how "time changes" and "how people use their phone changes" right in line with the likelihood of changes with Apple's releases. Either Apple is completely amazing of knowing exactly when to change models to stay right with those changing times or that's just a great default to overcome 500 old posts calling anything bigger than 3.5" (and later a 4") an abomination, "99.9% don't need big-screened phablets" etc.

In any event, it's some great spin. Rather than finding fault with Apple for not having changed with the times several years ago- and thus giving a lot of that bigger-screen business to rivals like Samsung- we simply spin this so that it seems like the overall landscape is shifting and "our" needs are shifting with it.

Sprinkle in a few "wait & see" comments, seg into "it's starting to grow on me" and then when accumulating rumors become reality at the launch ("now that I've got to actually see one"), it's "shut up and take my money" and "I'm already in line". All that negative "anything bigger than 4" is <negative descriptor> just evaporates. Once rumor becomes reality, Apple's choices are the new perfect and anything different than those choices are the new "stupid" and "abominations."

Personally, I like Apple stuff just fine but I'm deep in the "long past due" camp with this one. And after years of seeing overwhelming bashing of anything bigger than 3.5" and then 4" as "abominations", "stupid", "99.9% of phone buyers don't want", "need new pants" etc, I find it hilarious to see so many of the very same crowd seemingly accepting of the larger sizes, looking forward to adopting those abominations, not seeing them as "stupid" and apparently finding themselves in that .1%.

Most concerning though: I don't see the pants makers responding to the massive wave of demand for new pants with bigger pockets; instead, the same old pants with the same old pockets seem to still be on store shelves. Whatever are we going to do? ;)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Why do people always ask this question knowing that out of billions of people in the world, they can't be the ONLY person who doesn't want something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.