Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Let's be honest. The 6+ lags.

I notice lag in most apps when rendering content, and I notice glitches where the app downscales, even in Apples own safari.

One minute the content will be fine, the next it glitches and downsizes.

Is this an iOS problem or is it hardware?

I didn't spend $1200 on an unlocked phone to have considerably more lag than I ever did on the year old 5S.

Pissing me off....

Or do I have a faulty unit with a faulty graphics chip?

Everything else about the phone is awesome. I just didn't expect this to ever be a problem. Why downscale if it's going to cause noticeable lag? Just make the developers write code for the new Resolution.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You don't have a faulty unit. Mine stutters here and there, too. It's clear that Apple has pulled another "iPad 3," which suffered from UI lag due to its increased resolution and too-weak GPU to power it.

However, I'm hoping that Apple can optimize iOS 8 so that the animations don't lag as much on the 6 Plus. Send Apple feedback or better yet send a bug report.

What concerns me is just how bad this thing is going to run on iOS 9 and 10 (X). Yikes.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Hmmmm. Maybe some setting issues because I have not seen any lag at all. On the 6 and 6+. I have used the 6+ exclusively for media consumption. Not saying yours doesnt lag - just sharing my experience.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Hmmmm. Maybe some setting issues because I have not seen any lag at all. On the 6 and 6+. I have used the 6+ exclusively for media consumption. Not saying yours doesnt lag - just sharing my experience.

I've tried resetting all the settings, maybe I need to do a restore.

On the other hand I've read some threads where some people have no issues at all with their 6+, maybe I have a faulty unit. But my screen is beautiful with no discolouration at all.

The unit is perfect I don't want to chance an exchange if it's actually the OS itself...

----------

Playing some Asphalt on my 6, no lag. Thought how did you get faster wifi?

I used to get a second lag when bringing up a website, thought it was my DNS server, but now it loads near instantly.

----------

Has anybody tried the ZEN garden on their 6+? I read people say how amazing it was on their 6+, but mine lags noticeably.

I also had an issue with 3G not loading at all until I hit an LTE area. Haven't been able to test this yet with the 8.0.2 update.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Already updated hoping for a change, there is no difference, other than faster wifi connectivity.

You answered the question that brought me to check this forum tonight. I don't own either the 6 or 6 plus yet (going to place an order this weekend), but when trying them at the Apple Store, I was perplexed at how the 6 Plus seems to lag while the iPad Air (with a weaker GPU and even more pixels to push) does not.

Hopefully this means it can be resolved by a future update, although it'll be impossible for it to ever match the GPU performance of the regular 6.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
You answered the question that brought me to check this forum tonight. I don't own either the 6 or 6 plus yet (going to place an order this weekend), but when trying them at the Apple Store, I was perplexed at how the 6 Plus seems to lag while the iPad Air (with a weaker GPU and even more pixels to push) does not.

Hopefully this means it can be resolved by a future update, although it'll be impossible for it to ever match the GPU performance of the regular 6.

The Air isn't doing downscaling though. That takes up CPU and GPU cycles.

As much as I love my 6+ I might have to return it, because supposedly once you do an exchange you can't get a refund.

I just got used to the larger form factor. *sigh*

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
It doesn't run that great on mine. It looks great, but the performance is pretty bad.

Same.

The detail is amazing, but it lags considerably when panning.

Guess they used the 6 in the demo during the keynote.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Let's be honest. The 6+ lags.

I notice lag in most apps when rendering content, and I notice glitches where the app downscales, even in Apples own safari.

One minute the content will be fine, the next it glitches and downsizes.

Is this an iOS problem or is it hardware?

I didn't spend $1200 on an unlocked phone to have considerably more lag than I ever did on the year old 5S.

Pissing me off....

Or do I have a faulty unit with a faulty graphics chip?

Everything else about the phone is awesome. I just didn't expect this to ever be a problem. Why downscale if it's going to cause noticeable lag? Just make the developers write code for the new Resolution.

You're not the only one. My Plus gets pretty choppy and has slight lag at time. The stutter is worse when bringing up Control Center in front of apps such as Spotify or Instagram. I compare to my 5 and it runs so smooth on there. I have my day off tomorrow and strongly considering exchanging for a 6 but the screen and battery are so nice.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Pull down Spotlight search on the home screen and rotate. That's lag.

If that's lag, I can live with it. It takes about the same time for my home screen to rotate. I didn't expect it to be instant. Is it instant on the 6 (or any device)?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Pull down Spotlight search on the home screen and rotate. That's lag.

For me, I can see dropped frames almost anytime I rotate the screen when the keyboard is up. In Safari with the keyboard up, it drops frames when I rotate the screen but is perfectly smooth without the keyboard. Same thing with messages, mail, and I'm sure many others.

But definitely seems to be caused by the keyboard.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
The only lag to me would be from home screen to facebook. But thats normal, ipad does the same thing.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I think there's just not enough power under the hood to run this big ass screen. Why apple used the same exact processors in the 6 and 6+ is beyond me!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
This isn't anything like the jump to the iPad 3. That jump basically took the 4S's CPU/GPU with the same architecture and added some GPU oomph so to speak. Pixels went up 4X from the iPad 2, GPU performance went up 2X. Of course it was laggier than the iPad 2, on screen GPU performance was cut in half!

When they went to the iPad 4, same resolution, but 2X GPU jump from A5X. So now higher resolution than iPad 2, but same theoretical GPU performance. With the iPad Air, GPU performance doubled again. So higher resolution than iPad 2 and faster on screen performance, finally.

Now jump from A7 in the iPad Air (rendering 3.14 (2048 X 1536) million pixels) to the iPhone 6 Plus (rendering 2.74 (1242 X 2208) million pixels). So sure it has to downscale to 1080p, but that is less GPU intensive than having to straight up render at 2048 X 1536. On top of that, the 6 Plus (and 6) moved to the A8 with a 50% faster GPU.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I think there's just not enough power under the hood to run this big ass screen. Why apple used the same exact processors in the 6 and 6+ is beyond me!

They always seem to underspec models with new (higher-resolution screens). And frankly they end up being dogs. We saw it wight he iPhone 4 (going from non-retina to retina), the iPad 3 (same), and now the 6 Plus with many more pixels. That said, I'm still using my iPad 3, but it's kind of crap, by iPad standards: big and heavy, slow performance, and slow to charge (although the screen looks great).

I got a 6 Plus because I skipped the 2-year cycle. I was on the alternating "S" cycle and I wish now that I had bought an iPhone 5S so I was still on it. You look at the history of iPhones and really, the S is always the one to get: faster, more refined, inadequacies fixed (like RAM/GPU). The 3G wasn't that good, the 3GS was a great phone. The 4 sucked (way underpowered), the 4S was perfect. The 5 wasn't crap, but nonetheless the 5S was better. Strangely, the iPad 2 seems like the best performing iPad (relative to the technology at the time of release). Fast, sleek, and still runs the latest iOS years later.

But, I do love the screen on my iPhone 6 Plus, I might just bite the bullet and pay extra for the 6S Plus just to get back on the S cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.