Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Well even on a high powered Retina MacBook Pro it says that scaling options may effect performance so it wouldn't shock me if there is at least a small price to pay for this artificial 2208x1242 resolution scaled back to 1920x1080. That said, the fact that I'm seeing virtually no lag in apps optimized for the screen (most Apple apps, Beats Music, CNN, Vice News) and tons of issues in non-optimized apps my guess is that most of these quirks will get improved in the next 3-6 weeks as the most popular apps get updated for these new displays.

The fact that Apple has sold so many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus's only increases the urgency for developers to get moving and updating apps. I remember the hysteria when the 4 came out (antennagate, fuzzy non-retina apps and icons) and all ironed itself out in a month or so.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I am no phone techy. But, do most of you guys with lag have a 128gb phone. I don't know if that is largest internal on smartphones atm or not. So, didn't know if the larger internal would lengthen access time enough to be noticeable.

I really would like the 6+ with 128gb. Have had Androids for a few years that I root. Want a change. Am no fanboy of any product.

I like the screen, camera and feel. Just want a phone with smooth interface and good voice call quality. Haven't tested that yet. Do you guys feel the 6+ has above average call quality. I did see some lag/perceived lag on the ATT store demo. But, will test at other stores. If there is an issue hope it is fixed soon.

I have wondered how Apple gets these phones running so well on 1gb. My Galaxy S4 wouldn't run on that. Figure it is processor and lack of bloat.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Games and animation lag. Safari reloads a lot. If you don't yse games or need a lot of tabs open at once the plus is adequate.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
I have wondered how Apple gets these phones running so well on 1gb. My Galaxy S4 wouldn't run on that. Figure it is processor and lack of bloat.

I would say the OS is totally different and slimmer compared to android, winphone8 also needs less ressources then android. Also Apple can custom build their hard and software together for one product, the android OS is from google and manufactores like samsung,LG,Sony and so on build the hardware around it.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I would say the OS is totally different and slimmer compared to android, winphone8 also needs less ressources then android. Also Apple can custom build their hard and software together for one product, the android OS is from google and manufactores like samsung,LG,Sony and so on build the hardware around it.

I agree and like that. After flashing hundreds of roms over the years, I always have some issue. Battery drain, reboots etc. One of the reasons I want to try this iPhone--:)

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I just switched to zoomed mode and there is noticeably less lag on my 6+ (To test just double tap home button and notice the difference in speeds). Interesting...

But I also noticed that it does not switch to landscape mode when I try to. Is this normal for zoomed mode?

Sprintina

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I am no phone techy. But, do most of you guys with lag have a 128gb phone. I don't know if that is largest internal on smartphones atm or not. So, didn't know if the larger internal would lengthen access time enough to be noticeable.

I really would like the 6+ with 128gb. Have had Androids for a few years that I root. Want a change. Am no fanboy of any product.

I like the screen, camera and feel. Just want a phone with smooth interface and good voice call quality. Haven't tested that yet. Do you guys feel the 6+ has above average call quality. I did see some lag/perceived lag on the ATT store demo. But, will test at other stores. If there is an issue hope it is fixed soon.

My 6+ is 128GB and I just downloaded HBO Go and am watching an episode of "Boardwalk Empire". It briefly put up a message about it "optimizing" the content (this is an HD show) and it has been running very smoothly for the 15 minutes I've been watching it. Looks like a regular TV. :D

Am not sure if something was going on with Zen Garden but at least for streaming video, it's been doing great so far.

Edit to add - Running almost 20 minutes off the charger with the streaming and the charge was still at 100%.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
My 6+ is 128GB and I just downloaded HBO Go and am watching an episode of "Boardwalk Empire". It briefly put up a message about it "optimizing" the content (this is an HD show) and it has been running very smoothly for the 15 minutes I've been watching it. Looks like a regular TV. :D

Am not sure if something was going on with Zen Garden but at least for streaming video, it's been doing great so far.

Edit to add - Running almost 20 minutes off the charger with the streaming and the charge was still at 100%.

Thanks Sprintina, appreciate info. New here, very long time on XDA. So, not sure how you guys acknowledge a helpful reply. In my reading, sounds like upvote is not used or liked. Similar to a thanks on XDA. just wanna be correct on my posting here as a newbie--:)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
revisionist history, man. The 4 was a far better phone than the 3Gs, and the 5 was much better than the 4s. Same for the 6 over the 5s. The phones get better every year.

Better in some ways (higher resolution screens, new features), worse in others. New iPhones (or iPads) are usually pretty good when they are released. The problems come 1-2 years down the road with new iOS versions that inevitably require more resources, and newer, more complex apps. And those specific models have more problems at the same lifespan than their "S" counterparts do. Apple generally drops support for new features on non-S hardware faster as well, for example the iPhone 4 didn't support Siri, or turn by turn navigation. I would argue that the 4S is still a pretty good phone, while the 4, one year ago, was showing its age badly.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I get stutters on my 6 plus as well. I've turned transparency off which helps quite a bit. I did the same with my iphome 5 after iOS 7 came out. Overall the phone feels a little better than my 5 but not as smooth as a 5s that I've handeled from time to time. and obviously not as smooth as a 6. For me the pros still outweigh the cons so I'm keeping it. If I was coming from a 5s I'd probably be more upset about it, but coming from a 5 it still feels like an upgrade in fluidity though just an incremental one.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Just bought a plus to do some real testing. Picking up today. I've been a critic based on 3rd party reports but willing to put my money where my mouth is. After a week I'll see if the plus or the 6 goes back

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
It lags even with Apples apps such as messenger, search function and going into landscape. It's not terrible but a bit annoying. I was upset that apple didn't beef up the specs between the two phones. Samsung always powers up the note over the S models because the bigger screen truly needs that added processor speed and memory

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
revisionist history, man. The 4 was a far better phone than the 3Gs, and the 5 was much better than the 4s. Same for the 6 over the 5s. The phones get better every year.

Hes comparing the 3GS to 3G not 3GS to a 4.

My 6+ lags when Im reading stories on the MLB app. Its annoying and I think the phone is too big. Exchanging for a 6.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I had the 6+ for a week before returning it for a 6. I returned it solely cos it was too big.

My + did stutter slightly on the odd iOS animation. It was noticeable and shocked me bearing in mind this is a new device. It wasn't a deal breaker for me but looking back I think I may have dodged a bullet.

I'm an iPad 3 owner which everyone knows is underpowered. I kinda get the feeling the 6+ will be looked back on the same way.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
They always seem to underspec models with new (higher-resolution screens). And frankly they end up being dogs. We saw it wight he iPhone 4 (going from non-retina to retina), the iPad 3 (same), and now the 6 Plus with many more pixels. That said, I'm still using my iPad 3, but it's kind of crap, by iPad standards: big and heavy, slow performance, and slow to charge (although the screen looks great).

I got a 6 Plus because I skipped the 2-year cycle. I was on the alternating "S" cycle and I wish now that I had bought an iPhone 5S so I was still on it. You look at the history of iPhones and really, the S is always the one to get: faster, more refined, inadequacies fixed (like RAM/GPU). The 3G wasn't that good, the 3GS was a great phone. The 4 sucked (way underpowered), the 4S was perfect. The 5 wasn't crap, but nonetheless the 5S was better. Strangely, the iPad 2 seems like the best performing iPad (relative to the technology at the time of release). Fast, sleek, and still runs the latest iOS years later.

But, I do love the screen on my iPhone 6 Plus, I might just bite the bullet and pay extra for the 6S Plus just to get back on the S cycle.

I will do that as well, the good thing with the IOS devices is the stability of prices. You just have to add 150 Euro next year and get a new model. Iphones never really drop in price in online stores, its rare. While other smartphones go down like hell

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Not noticed anything on my 6 Plus that I hsvent experienced on other iOS devices every now and then, and I'm pretty fussy about lag.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I did notice a few slight animation delays with my 6 Plus but that's not the reason why I exchanged it for the 6. I imagine it's probably a mix of both hardware and software issues. Let's hope future iOS 8 updates can squash some of these bugs.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I just switched to zoomed mode and there is noticeably less lag on my 6+ (To test just double tap home button and notice the difference in speeds). Interesting...

But I also noticed that it does not switch to landscape mode when I try to. Is this normal for zoomed mode?

Yes, landscape mode doesn't work with zoomed apps.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Hes comparing the 3GS to 3G not 3GS to a 4.

My 6+ lags when Im reading stories on the MLB app. Its annoying and I think the phone is too big. Exchanging for a 6.

I know what he's doing. it's just not a valid point. he's saying a revision of a device is better. Wow! it's just as improved over the last phone as the one before it. it's incremental and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

also lol @ saying the 4 didn't support Siri. IT WASNT A FEATURE WHEN IT CAME OUT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.