iPhone 6 or 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skaertus, Nov 29, 2014.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I am about to buy a new iPhone, and I am in doubt which one should I buy.

I currently use an iPhone 5.

I use it for checking and answering e-mails, web surfing, reading documents, exchanging messages, listening to music, playing games, reading books, and so on. Heavy usage. And I like to use it one-handed.

As I use it a lot during the day, I keep it on a Mophie Juice Pack Plus, and I make serious use of it. I need the extra battery to get my iPhone 5 through the day, and I usually charge it as well.

So, here is my doubt. Should I buy the iPhone 6 or the 6 Plus?

I like the iPhone 6 better, because I can use it with just one hand. Very comfortable to use indeed. However, the screen of the iPhone 6 Plus is great, and battery life is supposed to be much better.

I would buy the iPhone 6 for its size, but will the battery be enough? Will I need a Mophie case, and will that make the iPhone 6 the size of a 6 Plus but without the extra screen? I would prefer the smaller screen as it would be more comfortable to handle. I once had a Galaxy S4 and I hated it, as it was very uncomfortable to handle and to use.

What do you suggest?

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I would try the 6 Plus for two weeks. If you don't like it, exchange it for a 6.

I have a 6 Plus.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

4. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Thanks for the advice, but I cannot do it.

I don't live in the U.S. I live in Brazil, and I may either buy it here or bring one from the U.S. (since the Brazilian one costs a minimum of about US$ 1,300 given the extraordinarily high taxes).

The bottom line is, I cannot exchange it after I buy it. The one I buy is the one I will have to keep. So, it must be a wise choice.

----------

This is the only reason why I am considering the 6 Plus. Is it worth to get it just for the battery life? Is it so much better?

5. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Then, I would suggest the 6 Plus.

I originally got the 6, and found that it's footprint was about the same as my 5s with a LifeProof case. I exchanged it for the 6 Plus for the bigger screen, better battery, and the camera.

6. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

How different is the battery life?

It would be the only reason why I would go for the 6 Plus instead of the 6. I was leaning towards the 6 when I saw it on the store, but the battery life is the only thing that holds me from choosing it at once.

7. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

I'm getting about 8 hours of usage, LTE and WIFI, on my 6. I've read on this forun that the 6 Plus can get at least 10 hours of usage.

8. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is the same for everyone and you got to choose. The Plus battery life is better but the phone is larger. If you do not mind the phine being bigger the Plus is the way to go. I have been using the 6 from the day they came out but a few days ago I purchased the 6 Plus and love it. The size is a little intimidating at first but the screen size makes that all go away.

Good luck, you I'll enjoy either!

10. kepler20b macrumors 6502

it is near impossible for me to kill the 6+ battery in one day.

monday- thursday i can go through charging it every other day. in fact, i can go the entire week charging it just 3 times if i space it out right.

but on the weekends i always charge it nightly just in case soemthing comes up.

11. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

It looks like that, even I being a heavy user, I won't need extra battery for the 6 Plus.

What about the 6? How does its battery life compare to the 5?

----------

Thanks. I tried both at a store and the 6 Plus is not comfortable to use. The 6 is fine and I can use it with one hand. This is why I am leaning towards the 6, battery life being the only reason why I didn't do it yet.

12. kepler20b macrumors 6502

i cant comment because i went from ip4 to 6+.

but ill say that unless you are in bed streaming tv/movies for 8 hours straight, you cant kill the battery in 1 day. it's impossible.

not worrying about battery is actually insanely liberating once you get a phone that can endure 8+ hours of screen on time.

get the 6+, you wont regret it.

by the time you can upgrade again, the 7 will be out and i'd be willing to bet a lot of money that apple will reduce the footprint of the phone, which is my only issue with it.

13. the caveman macrumors 6502

The 6 is almost exact same height as the s4 but the s4 is a little wider. I would suggest going for the 6. The 6+ is massive and is pretty uncomfortable phone to use on the go, when you need one handed use. 6+ is also wide as hell. I usually keep my phone in the front pant pocket and with 6+ in the pocket, you look ridiculous like you have a brick in your pocket. And no, i don't wear skinny jeans. I wear size 34 jeans loose fit.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The 6 plus is a giant phone. No matter what anyone says...it is huge! I have been using both side by side. Battery life is the only advantage the 6 plus has for me personally. Yes the resolution is better, but since the 6 has a smaller screen it is less noticeable. Coming from a 5 to a 6 plus, you will feel like a fish out of water.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I went from a 5 --> 6 --> 6+

I could easily see the PPI difference between the 6 and the 6+. Once in a while, the 6 showed pixels if you looked closely but I have yet to see that on the 6+.

I disagree about the "fish out of water comment". Coming from a 5, it's a huge luxury to have this screen real estate. More like a fish that moved out of a plastic cup and into a 50 gallon tank!

16. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Agree about the battery life of the 6+, impossible to kill in a day, thats with me working in a building with horrible cell reception (though i do have wifi intermittently).

The other thing i have noticed, is that i am not using my iPad mini anymore (except for long hours reading) as my causal/leisure reading is comfortably done with the plus.

The only thing i miss from the 5 is fast one handed texting, as the new fast typing keyboards don't give "yet" reliable and consistent experience

17. Ibaorus macrumors member

I tried 6 Plus before, and honestly I didn't like it because it's too big. I felt like I may drop it when using the 6 Plus with one hand. Also it's harder to take picture with it due to its size.

I prefer a phone that I can use with one hand and that's why I chose 6 though it's missing some features :).

18. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

19. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

This 1 sentence really answers your question. You will get better battery life either phone. If you try the 6 and feel you need better battery life, keep the mophie handy. A lot of people bought the 6 plus at first and returned them as they didn't realize what they were getting. I am not included in that category, I love my 6 plus. But if you used the Galaxy S4 and didn't like the size, currently find the larger size 6 plus to be uncomfortable, it sounds like you might certainly regret buying it if you do.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have the 6 plus. I got it over the 6 for the following reasons

The size. The 6 is too small for me as I've used Galaxy devices for the past 3 years including the note series so I'm used to big devices. Portability is not an issue for me as I just put it into my purse.

Battery life. Which has so far been nothing short of excellent.

Higher resolution display

OIS

Using the phone:

Having got the phone I've also come to appreciate the ability to rotate in landscape and the iPad like layout in some apps.

I also really like the ergonomics. Because of the design it feels really good in the hand and is more comfortable to hold than other big phones I've used like the Galaxy note series. It's very light so easy to carry around. I've even been able to use it one handed on the tube (subway).

I was underwhelmed by the display resolution only being 1080p considering that I'd been using for the past 18 months had been 1080p and that devices like the note 4 had an even higher resolution. However the screen is very nice. It's very sharp, clear and bright and is actually better than any display I've used in the past.

So all in all I'm pleased with the 6 plus and glad that I choose it over the 6.

OP why not try the 6 plus first and if you don't like it return it for the 6.

21. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

My wife had an S4, and me an S5. She changed to an iPhone 6. I played on it for a couple of weeks. I bought an iPhone 6 plus. My wife loves her iphone 6 and me my 6+. The battery life of 6+ is unbeatable. I can go 2 days without charging. I enjoy the bigger screen, but because it is light, the size is not an issue.

22. Ibaorus macrumors member

Well he can't because OP live in Brazil.

23. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I've switched like 6 times... It's a tough choice. I love the 6 for the ease of use but miss the battery of the 6 plus. I like the larger screen of the plus when I'm home or sitting around but like the compact size when I'm on the go. Definitely hard to try to operate one handed. It's a toss up and I still have a hard time deciding.

24. Ibaorus macrumors member

Sounds like you need both.

25. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I've toyed with that idea and not have an iPad and just use the 6 plus for an iPad... Figured that might be a little over kill. In he end its just a matter of figuring out which you can live without. Give up battery and you get the 6. Give up usability/ease of use go 6+