iPhone 6 Plus 2GB RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VanDerMac, Sep 12, 2014.

1. VanDerMac macrumors newbie

2. Downs2011 macrumors regular

We probably won't know for sure until new week. Maybe Apple will release some specs or something. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. The Air has 1GB ram so I wouldn't be surprised if that's all the 6+ gets. Lets just pray for 2GB or some major tricks in iOS 8 that will keep everything running smooth!

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, someone does know.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

hahaha i was thinking the same thing.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

It's all about memory management. Adding more ram does nothing if the OS can optimize what it already has. It's only when you run out of ram that it becomes an issue. iOS has been excellent at this. Crying fowl on lower ram numbers is pointless unless we know it is compromising performance. I seriously doubt Apple would allow this to happen.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I don't think Apple has officially released the quantity of RAM available on any iPhone or iPad. It's always been third party tear downs that come up with the answers - typically in New Zealand or Australia in the Eastern Hemisphere where launch day dawns first.

7. Downs2011 macrumors regular

Yea you are right about that, so I guess we should expect it to come out next week. I try to tell myself that it doesn't matter much because I know Apple will make the best out of whatever hardware they use

8. VanDerMac thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically a 4GB RAM MacBook Air is pretty much the same as a 16GB RAM rMBP. More RAM = better. Keep living in denial.

If the 6+ has 1 GB RAM I'm gonna pass :(

9. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

They let the iPad Air happen. And iPad3.

10. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Considering the 6 Plus generally needs more resources due to the higher-resolution display and more things being displayed on the screen when in landscape mode, I think it'll have 2GB RAM. If not, shame on you, :apple:, though it shouldn't be surprising at all if it has just 1GB.

11. Breenston macrumors newbie

Isn't having to refresh Safari each time you change tabs an issue? Honestly? In 2014?

12. cynics macrumors G4

I hope I'm wrong but I thinking 1gb of RAM.

Devs are already used to the memory usage constraints of 1gb of RAM. I think we'll see 2gb in an iPad first rather then 1 of the 2 iPhones in the middle of a release. Sounds like a mess for the devs, 2 screen sizes they can optimize for, the larger size offering a landscape mode AND 2 different sets of memory constraints to work with.

If that is the case I'd question getting the 6 at all or waiting the 6S. A move to 2 gb of RAM will do the same thing a move to 1 gb of RAM did to the 512 mb devices. CONSTANT app reloading, its terrible. Leave tapatalk for any reason and it generally reloads. Pause Pandora and reopen it, reloads. Just obnoxious.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well if iOS8 will manage things as well as you predict, perhaps they should only put half a gig of RAM in there.

14. yegon macrumors 68020

Inspired memory management or not, the amount of ram required by websites, which is inevitably a lot more than it used to be, is completely out of Apple's control and 1gb ram curtails any hopes of not having constant tab reloads. As such, 2gb would be a big improvement but everything points to it not being the case inexplicably :(

That said, it's only ever really bothered me on the iPad. I can live with it on the phone, although more ram would improve the experience no end re: apps and tab refreshing.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Absolutely. I was recetnly turend onto Atomic browser. It actually caches your tabs on your solid state memory, but tabs load instantly. The trial (free) has up to 6 tabs. The paid ($1.99) is virtually limtless. Apple could change Safari (or just set an option) to do this and most of the complaints would disappear. I know I would be happy.

----------

I don't think it's any more or less inexplicable than still starting an entry level unit with 16GB storage and the jumping immediately to 64GB.

Actually, I can explain it quite handily. Profit.

It's a shame because I don;t expect the 6 or 6 Plus hardware to really last any longer than the 5S as a result.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Agreed. The iPhone 6 is obsolescent before it's even released. They have crippled it with only 1GB of RAM and it really has no more longevity than the iPhone 5. I would go so far as to say that it's a very bad purchase.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then you'd be exaggerating.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How? You would expect the two year old iPhone 5 to be feeling the heat now...but it has the same amount of RAM as the soon to be released iPhone 6. Plus the processor is still plenty powerful enough for general tasks. Face it, the iPhone 6 specs are bizarrely dated and all you're really getting over the 5/5S is a bigger screen. Either the 6S or i7 is going to blow the i5/5S/i6 out of the water, so why waste such a huge amount of money on a phone which has two year old APPLE specs *now*?
    Nobody with a 5S should be updating to an iPhone6. All you're getting is a bigger screen and if that was essential then you wouldn't have bought the 5S.

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Move to 64-bit and more pixels to push with the same amount of RAM as the iPhone5 is just plain sad.

20. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have 2gb in my Galaxy S4 and it does not hold open all kinds of tabs. It has to reload them as well and if anything it is still slower then the 5s. That is the way memory management works. It will intentionally release the memory to be used by another application if not being used. iOS does a stellar job at this compared to my Android phone. I'm all for more ram but it is hardly a deal breaker.

21. yegon, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

yegon macrumors 68020

Well obviously it's for reasons of profit, crikey, I'm not stupid.

By inexplicably, I meant the hw is absolutely crying out for more ram and has been for a while now, especially in the case of iPads. So much hype re: 64bit cpu's this year and last, yet the whole experience is lessened so much should you ever be crazy enough to flip between 3 apps, which means refresh/reload time. A flagship phone going into late 2015 w/ 1gb ram = inexplicable.

I agree, it's far from a deal breaker. However, a minor bump would undoubtedly improve the experience and if the 6 line does indeed have only 1gb it'll be the first time there hasn't been a two year bump give or take.

Oh, those above crying obsolescence....really need a dictionary.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's very interesting. However, Android is known to need more RAM than iOS. 2GB of RAM on Android is probably akin to 1-1.5GB of RAM on iOS. I expect that 3GB of RAM on an Android device would currently be plenty good enough to prevent this issue.

23. cynics macrumors G4

I believe you are making this up. Android browsers work differently then iOS browsers. Tabs will reload but you need to put the app in the background. Unlike in iOS where you can be switching between tabs and they reload.

Here you go. The oldest Android device I could find, running some heavy pages (BGR etc) with Pandora playing in the background and no tab reloading.

Excuse the music it was a response video to someone doing the same thing except a quarter of the tabs running and them all constantly reloading on an iPad Air. Regardless they had Pandora playing...

http://youtu.be/utBPbRVpRD8