Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
I agree with everyone that it really does seem like he applied a *lot* of pressure. Obviously more than would be applied when being put into a pocket for a while. That was significant bending though, even for the extreme force. And it was supposedly bent before the "test" began. I'm just worried for what this means for the 6+ and very interested to see how/if Apple responds.

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Other phones except for the Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z1, Blackberry Q10, HTC Evo and the Oppo you mean? Go to the link in post #10 and look at the pictures for yourself. :rolleyes:

Yep, I saw the article. We don't know the story behind those phones. Anything will bend with enough force. Looked like there was a 4S in there too, to which I'd say... wow. So the point isn't that no other phone has ever bent. I've seen cars bent in half. But are iPhone 6's bending more than their competitors. It seems so, although it's still early. Having personal experience with phablets for the past 18 months, it's never been an issue for me or anyone I know. I honestly hope it's a non-issue for apple, as I have a 6+ on order. So I have a vested concern in the TRUTH. I prefer Apple, but would easily go somewhere else if that is the only way I can have a durable phone that is up to heavy use and travel. My phone is a tool, not jewelry.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
oh yeah.. it was very little pressure that was put on that phone.. maybe i was just imagining things. sorry. :rolleyes:

Considering he did it with his bare hands, yes. It was much less than what is needed when sitting on a phone, which a lot of the folks claim must have happened to the bent phones in the first place.

I can see, potentially, the same pressure being exerted in a pocket. It didn't take nearly as much effort for him to get a slight bend going as it did for him to get the end result, by the looks of it. If that is the case, we will see many more posts, as I said. I am not saying it's an actual epidemic. I am saying it could be.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Considering he did it with his bare hands, yes. It was much less than what is needed when sitting on a phone, which a lot of the folks claim must have happened to the bent phones in the first place.

I can see, potentially, the same pressure being exerted in a pocket. If that is the case, we will see many more posts, as I said. I am not saying it's an actual epidemic. I am saying it could be.

I feel like I could bend pretty much any phone with my hands. You saw the dude straining to bend it...

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I machine aluminum (CNC and manual) and it can very easily warp and bend when it becomes thin. It's surprising how many people think it's extremely rigid and out of the norm for this to happen for a device so thin and long when placed in tight pockets. Its not like you can just throw something that big, have it pressed on your leg with substantial pressure for a day, and it be ok.

I think a loose pocket is the best for these phones, like a cargo pocket.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I feel like I could bend pretty much any phone with my hands. You saw the dude straining to bend it...

IMO, to get it to start to bend, he didn't strain much at all. By the end, to get that huge a bend on it (which, by the way, nobody is reporting a bend anywhere near what this guy had from regular use that I have found), yes, he had to use some force.

All I am saying is this gives a bit more plausibility to people's phones bending in their front pockets (the presenter stated his phone bent in his pocket at the beginning of the video). If it starts happening to more and more people, I can see this becoming an issue for Apple. Will it? I have no idea.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

I can see, potentially, the same pressure being exerted in a pocket. It didn't take nearly as much effort for him to get a slight bend going as it did for him to get the end result, by the looks of it. If that is the case, we will see many more posts, as I said. I am not saying it's an actual epidemic. I am saying it could be.

lol.. ok man. u cool so i won't say no more. LOL

TheGuz4L

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Guys. You are failing to realize ... his phone was BENT from normal use before he started to bend it. He was one of the reviewers and had it longer than most. This is very concerning ... I am leaning towards getting the 6 only at this point.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Looked like there was a 4S in there too, to which I'd say... wow.

Actually the so called picture of a 4S on the article clearly is a 5 ... they got a bit mixed up there.

I never had any concerns about bending before the 5 and I don't believe there were many reports either ... with a smaller footprint, being thicker, and having a steel frame inside the phone instead of an aluminium unibody in charge of structural integrity, the first iPhones were definitely much less likely to have this kind of issue.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I don't think anyone is saying there is, but a smaller pressure applied over a much longer period of time could have a similar effect.

I don't believe for one second the guy that claims to have had his phone in his pocket for 18 hours straight, didn't once take it out. Driving 4 hours to a wedding and another 4 hours back home and he didn't check the time, take a picture, text, use apps or surf the net? You're at a wedding and you didn't take a single photo or use your phone to kill time waiting?

Seems fishy.

jaypr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Guys. You are failing to realize ... his phone was BENT from normal use before he started to bend it. He was one of the reviewers and had it longer than most. This is very concerning ... I am leaning towards getting the 6 only at this point.

Agreed.

Ignoring the fact that he bent the crap out of it at the end at about 30 seconds in he shows you his phone that he's been using for the last few days in his pocket which is bent. Not much, but after only a few days use, that's not good.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Fixed it. Other large phones seem to be doing well.

They are? Really?

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

I don't believe for one second the guy that claims to have had his phone in his pocket for 18 hours straight, didn't once take it out. Driving 4 hours to a wedding and another 4 hours back home and he didn't check the time, take a picture, text, use apps or surf the net? You're at a wedding and you didn't take a single photo or use your phone to kill time waiting?

Seems fishy.

Agreed. Who rides with the phone in their pocket. How are you going to use it unless you have bluetooth connectivity

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Terrible QC

How is it terrible QC?

Damn... Recall.. Hopefully new phone replacement down the road.

Recall? I bet I could bend a Samsung in half.

This idiot put a good bit of pressure into bending this phone, just about all he had judging from his shaking. No doubt the Plus will bend, same for the 6.

You want thinner and light, Apple gave it to you, enjoy!

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I know this is mind blowing but here's a tip: Stop wearing tight hipster pants and use a normal fit or using back pockets where the pocket curves due to the butt.
And no I don't have a physics degree just plain old common sense.

nuckfan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I know this is mind blowing but here's a tip: Stop wearing tight hipster pants and use a normal fit or using back pockets where the pocket curves due to the butt.
And no I don't have a physics degree just plain old common sense.

I'd agree with this. I just find it strange how there are now restrictions on the type of pants you can wear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.