iPhone 6 Plus Bending Not From Pocket, but from Charging Overnight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Starfyre, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Just saw this news in the newspaper today, was very shocked with all the buzz about bend-gate and being in pockets, but never thought the phone would bend from simple charging. Though I would share this with you all:

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/photos-seattle-developer-says-new-iphone-6-bent-real-reason/

Something seems definitely wrong here, maybe the heat generated by the charging of the insides caused the metal to warp? It's so mysterious....

2. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

3. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

It's not interesting its utter cow dung. This goes against all physics. This guy is an idiot.

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Maybe he sleep-walk-bent it.

I bet it was a ninja mouse. I am positive, definitely a ninja mouse.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Or somebody else did. interesting way to charge his phone

8. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

I guess it's easier to bend under heat.

So things that we know:

1) Stay away from skinny jeans

2) Use only in cold weather

3) Don't charge it upside down against the wall

9. cdesigns macrumors 6502

Total BS, he was drunk the night before and bended the phone in his pocket etc. impisible to bend the phone like that just by heat.

10. Chatter macrumors 6502a

He is either a liar or someone is screwing with him!

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

The developer is a liar and spreading FUD. Plain and simple.

12. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Something doesn't seem right about this. Who even charges their phone in that position??? Why not flat on the floor??

13. sinister184 macrumors member

not possible. This dumb ass stepped on his phone in the middle of the night and decided to lie about it.

14. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Eh...don't agree really.

I where both normal boot cut and skinny jeans. I am within my return window...so I have been wearing my skinny jeans almost exclusively...and purposely leaving my iPhone 6+ in my pants. Even had it in a pair of old skinny jeans while I was crawling through the crawl space in my house yesterday. The phone is straight as nail. I have/am putting it through the rigors, since I don't want to have to worry about this for the next year or two.

I do have apple care, but I would worry non the less.

For me the phone holds up great. A post earlier today showed evidence that it takes ~63 pounds of pressure on the weak spot of the phone to bend it...thats a significant amount to put on a phone in everyday use. Again...little reason to worry.

15. farmkittie macrumors 6502

All of this to try to hurt iPhone 6 + sales. Period.

This is just to keep the story alive and, in fact, make it worse by making potential (gullible) buyers think that the phone will bend even if they don't ever put it in a pocket. Ridiculous.

16. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

This is as likely as the 8.0.2 patch causing a phone to bend.

17. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

This guy was a developer and not just a random teenager on twitter so I give him more credibility.
    I've said this before,as much as I'm in need of upgrading my iPhone 4s,I will wait another 2 months to learn more about this bedgate phenomenon.
    if it's real,then I'll wait for 6s or 6s Plus.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Oh so a developer can't spread FUD? What if he is a developer that has an axe to grind with Apple? Maybe his software is not making any money on iOS and he's angry at Apple?

19. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Thats like the 96th page of a topic completely unrelated... no one is going to go to page 96 unless they were here last week at that exact "couple of minutes" timeframe just to see that... at least I wouldn't and didn't. Doesn't look discussed to me. It makes more sense to paste that post from page 96 of page 121 in here.

20. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

"Who charges a phone like this?"

Seriously? I've done it numerous times while traveling. Ever been to an airport? I could never count the number of phones and iPads I've seen propped up against a wall exactly like that while charging in outlets along the wall.

I've personally charged it that same way in my hotel room when the only available plug wasn't near a table.

Not saying the story isn't fishy, but leaning a phone while charging is VERY common.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's absolutely related, and was discussed to the point where a mod decided to close it.

Uhm, apparently enough people did that the thread continued for days afterward.

It doesn't look discussed to you because you're obsessing over your purchase, the topic isn't going the way you hoped, and you're trying to justify it by re-hashing FUD.

Please do yourself a favor: return your iPhone 6 and get a different model. The number of threads you've posted in this forum obsessing over all the minutiae and wondering each time whether you made a mistake/Apple needs to fix something is unhealthy.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

23. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

You can see the dents from where pressure was applied to the back of the phone. Total BS.