Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
I dropped my iPhone 6 Plus and the screen got completely cracked, it was fully functional after that though. So I took it to Apple Store and was quoted $129 to replace the screen. When I picked it up, the tech told me the phone won't work after replacing the screen and they have to give me a new one for $329. I don't understand how it was working properly before with a cracked screen but stopped working after replacing it. Does anyone else have the same experience?

Ocellaris

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
You got screwed out of $200. Any damage caused by the repair is their problem and not yours.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
You got screwed out of $200. Any damage caused by the repair is their problem and not yours.

Absolutely right. They quoted you $129 and proceeded to do the work. If they didn't consult you before doing additional work you have no obligation to pay them that much.

I would have made sure I talked to the store manager before my wallet ever left my pocket.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That doesn't sound right. They should've either given you a replacement iPhone for $129 if they couldn't repair it or returned the broken iPhone to you in the pre-repair state.

Unless you're not telling us the whole story.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
They did show me my old phone with the new screen on and said it won't work after replacing the screen and did mention about the possible $329 charge before fixing it. But my question was how could the phone be fully functional with a cracked screen and stopped working after replacing it.

Last edited:

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Repairs and quotes are always tricky.

I once took my pc in for a quote to a local pc repairer. I made it quite clear that I only wanted a quote.

I come back to find they have fixed the pc and thrown out the problem hardware. I argued with them and eventually just took my now working pc and left without paying.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
A friend of my mine was quoted a few months ago $129 for a screen replacement at the Apple Store, she agreed to the fee and they proceeded with the repairs. Less than 10 mins later she was told that the calibration machine wasn't working so they couldn't proceed with the repair and instead were going to swap out the phone with a new phone (a $279 fee) at the same $129 because it was their mistake.

I once took my pc in for a quote to a local pc repairer. I made it quite clear that I only wanted a quote.

At the same Apple Store I took my dad's iPhone 4 in to get checked, he was having battery issues and was out of warranty, I went in to get a quote for a new battery. The Genius said that it might not be a battery issue but had no way of knowing for sure, he suggested putting in a new battery to see if that would fix the issue.

I said he can open it and try a new battery, but at no point did I agree to a repair fee. He put in a new battery and it was finally able to charge more than 50%, then he gave me a bill for $80. I refused to pay because I went in for a quote, he suggested trying a battery first before I agreed to the fee but he ended up glueing the battery inside making it unable to remove it, and me having not agreed to any fees prior I got a free battery (well, my dad did).

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If the phone was working despite having a cracked screen and they then claimed it didn't work once the new screen had been fitted, they have indeed conned you out of $200. I would have stood my ground there and taken it to the highest level of their complaints procedure.

There is nothing stopping you now complaining in writing as I think you have been stitched up there. :(

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
^Yep. Should have stood your ground. This isn't Wal Mart, this is the Apple Store. They will fix the issue eventually if you stay your ground.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They did show me my old phone with the new screen on and said it won't work after replacing the screen and did mention about the possible $329 charge before fixing it. But my question was how could the phone be fully functional with a cracked screen and stopped working after replacing it.

That's beside the point. I think you should've stood your ground and told them that you didn't give them a non-operating iPhone so it's reasonable that you get back a working phone, assuming no other user-inflicted damage like water damage. A manager could have easily honored that request.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
That's beside the point. I think you should've stood your ground and told them that you didn't give them a non-operating iPhone so it's reasonable that you get back a working phone, assuming no other user-inflicted damage like water damage. A manager could have easily honored that request.

I agree 100% with what you're saying, however there are two sides to the coin. Sometimes repairing something damaged (not defective, damaged) can end up with even worse results. It's risky which is why they told the OP they the base price would be $129 but it might end up being $300+ depending on the outcome.

Hate to use this example, but it's relevant. When having surgery, it's a high risk of death. Once the patient signs the release form for the work to be done the family cannot sue the Surgeon if death occurs during surgery.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
I guess I should have asked for my old phone back and tried another Apple Store instead of paying $329 but it was too late. I filled out the survey and said I was completely not satisfied about my Apple Store experience, hoping that someone would look at it and give my money back.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

But did they actually inform the OP that beforehand and the OP agreed to it? If not, they should've given the OP a white box replacement iPhone for $129.

Clearly you missed what the OP wrote.

----------

I guess I should have asked for my old phone back and tried another Apple Store instead of paying $329 but it was too late. I filled out the survey and said I was completely not satisfied about my Apple Store experience, hoping that someone would look at it and give my money back.

It doesn't matter if you went to another store. They note the account with the product serial number so other stores will know the story once they log your phone in.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I doubt any one will decide on their own to give you your money back, if at all. I can see your side of it, but Apple may say that once you agreed, paid, and left with the phone the case was closed.

Best of luck if you do decide to pursue a refund, let us know how it goes!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Clearly you missed what the OP wrote.

----------

It doesn't matter if you went to another store. They note the account with the product serial number so other stores will know the story once they log your phone in.

I took that to mean they informed him of that after the fact but you're probably right. What I don't understand though is how the OP would succeed in just accepting the broken phone and going to another store.

Bad move on the OP for not giving us the whole story, as we can't really give proper advice that way.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I took that to mean they informed him of that after the fact but you're probably right. What I don't understand though is how the OP would succeed in just accepting the broken phone and going to another store.

Bad move on the OP for not giving us the whole story, as we can't really give proper advice that way.

I agree, his story seems a bit ambiguous so it's tough to decipher the entire scenario.
I have to say though regardless of what happened the OP should've stood his ground. Apple is too big a company. I'm sure they would've taken care of him in good faith based on the situation.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Uh, no, I don't even have a 6+. I was just curious and asked the question.

Cool usually those post are someone thinking I will go to the Apple store and get a new one just because I can. Sorry about that.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Not a problem. Actually I was just trying to run the scenario through my mind like as if it was me, and I was just thinking, well if I wound up with a brand new phone as opposed to a refurb, maybe I wouldn't feel quite so bad. But anyway, I feel for the OP, it was a bad deal.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
Just curious, did you get a brand new phone, or a refurbished one?

The tech said the phone is brand new but no box and no cable were given to me. The phone just has the plastic cover from front to back. Did anyone who paid $329 for a phone replacement get the original box and cable?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The tech said the phone is brand new but no box and no cable were given to me. The phone just has the plastic cover from front to back. Did anyone who paid $329 for a phone replacement get the original box and cable?

White box replacement units do not come with accessories, unlike retail boxes.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Apple replacements are always brand new from factory. Accessories are not included.
Looks like tech broke the iPhone during screen replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.