iPhone 6 Plus Makes Owning an iPad Air/Mini Redundant -- Who's with Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 9, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Maybe I'm being unrealistic with my expectations of how much the 5.5" display will impact my experience, but the fact of the matter is that my iPad has really become the forgotten middle brother between my 5s and rMBP. With an iPhone that has a superior 5.5" display, owning an iPad Air has become redundant for me as fond as I am of the iPad.

Am I the only one that immediately thought of selling my iPad as soon as the 5.5" iPhone became a reality?

Of course the display is still significantly better but at this point I'm not sure that app interfaces will be as distinct on iPad and iPhone as they once were. It was once worth owning an iPad just for that but I find myself already using my iPhone over 95% of the time in comparison. Will probably be selling my iPad Air whilst awaiting an iPad Pro model, even though that's then redundant compared to the rMBP. It's a vicious cycle :confused:.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Of course some people will be with you.

And of course, some people will think that is stupid.

What is the point?

(in the interest of continuing this silly thread, I will continue to use both)

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

If I had an iPad mini, I probably would consider selling it for the 5.5, but not an iPad Air.

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Interested in the debate. Maybe I'll feel differently once I try it, but iPhone 6 Plus has all that I want out of a phone/tablet at this point.

I'd need a killer experience or tool that's exclusively on the iPad for me to reconsider. Logic Remote is all that comes to mind, but hopefully Apple can pull that off on the 6 Plus.

5. Mars Is Waiting macrumors member

Mars Is Waiting

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Very nice pun. :cool:

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

5.5" is still too small for me for reading comics so I'm still keeping my iPad. Now if even a 4:3 9.7" Android tablet with retina display, decent performance, decent battery life and microSD card slot is released, I'm dumping the iPad.

8. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I'm with you...

I barely use my iPad Air any more as it is anyways. My rMBP is so much easier to use I find a lot of the time. When I want to lay and surf the web, I end up doing it on my phone. I think if I had an iPad mini with retina display I would get more use out of it, but... I don't.

I'm thinking when I have the 5.5 iPhone I may be good with just the phone and the rMBP. I'll most likely sell the iPad Air to recoup some of the cost of the iPhone 6 Plus purchase. If in the future I end up missing my iPad, I'll deal with that problem then... Probably when a new generation iPad comes out.

9. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

People have different preferences. I like to play games on my ipad ergo the bigger screen. On my phone its opposite. I don't like to have games, but instead I like to have productive utilities that help with everyday life.

So in essence you can enjoy and have a use for both. I myself would love to have a 20 inch ipad.

10. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Anything with an Apple logo sells.

It's not a matter of functionality, it's more personal preference.

Apple doesn't need the money, they can afford to keep any product they like in their lineup.

11. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I think it will replace a lot of peoples Minis but I'm not sure that it will replace full sized ipads for most.

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Never wanted a full size iPad, but I already sold my Mini last week in preparation for the 5.5" iPhone.

13. Naramis macrumors member

The things I do with the iPad really require the big screen. I don't even like the iPad mini.

One of the main points of a phablet is indeed to reduce the need for a tablet and make you carry 1 device instead of 2. For some people the phablet will be enough, but not for others..

It's all about figuring out exactly what you want from your devices, then you'll know which device or combination of devices to get.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

http://youtu.be/-1QmOhDXwE8

In-hand, I would've mistook that for an iPad Mini. It does look more like a small iPad than a large iPhone interface-wise.

15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Have people forgotten that there are iPad exclusive apps?

And I also still find even a 5 inch phone too small for games and such, but it's passable for reading. Still much prefer my retina mini for reading. 4.7 inch iPhone will be perfect for me, and as far as I'm concerned, my iPad will still be relevant.

16. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in this point you made. I mainly buy ipad games but wondering if the iPhone plus will handle ipad apps? I don't see why it wouldn't since the performance should be better than the current ipad. If not, would it be due to the iPhone having less ram than the ipad?

17. aleni macrumors 68020

im totally sellin my ipad mini retina to get this beast!

18. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

If the app is not universal.....then you would have to download (free or paid) iphone version of the ipad app in question. So in this instance you would have to purchase the app over again for you're iphone.

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Technically, iPad apps are a different aspect ratio so developers would have to make them work.

Although, there could be a jailbreak option for it.

20. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I just checked my iPhone apps on my iPad mini retina and it looks like I pretty much have the same versions that are ipad apps. So my concern is that I have progress going with KOTOR and Bioshock on my Mini... Will I need to restart these on the iPhone Plus or will my progress automatically sync up, like in Steam on my Macbook?

21. cynics macrumors G4

You'd have to be pretty daft to not recognize the difference in size between those sizes in combination with aspect ratio. The size difference is pretty obvious. That said, sure maybe some people with a 6+ might not have a need for a Mini as much but I still wouldn't call that redundant, plus the 6+ vs a full size iPad is significant.

[​IMG]

22. Teste macrumors 6502

The iPhone 6+ will make the iPad redundant because Apple has failed to significantly improve the iPad. The folder system in the iPad is the perfect example of this - it's the same grid as seen on the iPhone, only with a massive waste of space.

Apple should have improved the iPad SIGNIFICANTLY years ago. True multitasking, a better keyboard (not Swipe or something small like that, rather a good way to select text and to move the typing point without having your hand leave the keyboard), less tab reloading in Safari, better productivity apps sooner.

But no. Apple will canibalize its own market, and that in a scenario in which iPad sales were already falling.

23. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

This. People fail to realize that the Mini is considerably wider and that is pretty important when it comes to reading text or browsing the web (or watching videos).

Both have their own uses, and I'll continue to use both of them.

24. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

Originally, I was planning on going with the 4.7", but I think I am going to go with the 5.5" and sell my iPad Air. I hardly ever use my iPad anyway. I think I'll be good to go with a 5.5" iPhone and my MacBook Pro.

25. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

We might see some more info on this for the next iPad update. Split-screen multitasking on iPad and more productivity enhancing exclusive features may be the differentiator needed to keep people interested.