Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
Being halfway through a long note, taking a call or replying to an SMS and then returning to the notes app, only to find it reload and boot me right to the top of the note is frustrating.

Filling out a webform or composing a forum message, taking a call or replying to an SMS and then returning to the webform, only to find it reload and erase everything I had entered is frustrating.

Reading a long newspaper or website article and scrolling down several pages, only to have the Safari tab inexplicably reload and boot me right up to the top of the article is frustrating.

These things happen to me on a daily basis.

WOW! That would be! I've honestly never had that problem, but I get very few calls . on my personal cell. Mostly txt messages

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So...even though 1GB on paper sounds pathetic, even though competing high end Android devices have 3 and 4GB of RAM, even though the two years old iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, even though Safari tabs reload, even though apps reload and even though stock apps reload....this is absolutely not a RAM issue and it's something that Apple can fix with software? Um, ok.

Yes. Because none of those things are evidence that RAM is the problem.

----------

Seems like Safari is a super RAM hog.

That's certainly the conclusion I'm inclined to come to. A code problem, not a RAM problem. It'll be amusing to see the iPad Air 2 exhibit the exact same behavior even with twice the RAM. Because I bet it will.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yes. Because none of those things are evidence that RAM is the problem.

----------

That's certainly the conclusion I'm inclined to come to. A code problem, not a RAM problem. It'll be amusing to see the iPad Air 2 exhibit the exact same behavior even with twice the RAM. Because I bet it will.

It may still happen, but it will almost certainly happen less frequently.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Safari needs to be fixed. Its like super buggy and takes 1-2 secs to 'refresh' the page everytime we switch to it

----------

It may still happen, but it will almost certainly happen less frequently.

It will b a joke if it happens. laugh til my teeth drops lol

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I am back on my 5S after using a 6+ for two weeks and there is a definitely issue with the apps having to reload constantly. I'm not sure if we can attribute it to RAM or not, yet. I can clearly say the 5S does not have to refresh nearly as much as the 6+. I also used a 6 for two weeks and noticed the issue occurs with the 6, but less prevalent than with the +.

In short, it truly is annoying to have apps that I just opened to reload a minute or two later when I reenter them. That said, I still can't wait for my 6+ to arrive. Decided to upgrade instead of purchase full price so the wait will be worth the savings, but it SUCKS being back on this tiny screen lol

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I am back on my 5S after using a 6+ for two weeks and there is a definitely issue with the apps having to reload constantly. I'm not sure if we can attribute it to RAM or not, yet. I can clearly say the 5S does not have to refresh nearly as much as the 6+. I also used a 6 for two weeks and noticed the issue occurs with the 6, but less prevalent than with the +.

In short, it truly is annoying to have apps that I just opened to reload a minute or two later when I reenter them. That said, I still can't wait for my 6+ to arrive. Decided to upgrade instead of purchase full price so the wait will be worth the savings, but it SUCKS being back on this tiny screen lol

So r u going to use the 5s or 6+? Did u restore from backup or setup as new?

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
So r u going to use the 5s or 6+? Did u restore from backup or setup as new?

When I get my 6+ in (nov 6-13) I'll go back to it. I always setup as new with my devices, but I will say the times I did a restore in the past I never had any issues. Any restores were definitely not like some people who have years worth of information backed up. Typically, as new so I can start clean. Right now the 5S definitely handles open apps in the background much better than the 6 or 6+, but I think some of that can be fixed with software coding.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
When I get my 6+ in (nov 6-13) I'll go back to it. I always setup as new with my devices, but I will say the times I did a restore in the past I never had any issues. Any restores were definitely not like some people who have years worth of information backed up. Typically, as new so I can start clean. Right now the 5S definitely handles open apps in the background much better than the 6 or 6+, but I think some of that can be fixed with software coding.

part of the glitches and reloading could be due to the below

- We are running n multitasking a mixture of apps that have not been optimized for ios 8 & iphone 6

- ios 8 itself is glitchy n unstable

that prob my reasoning

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
part of the glitches and reloading could be due to the below

- We are running n multitasking a mixture of apps that have not been optimized for ios 8 & iphone 6

- ios 8 itself is glitchy n unstable

that prob my reasoning

I can't say for sure as I am running iOS 8.1 beta 2 on my 5S and it is running very well with the same exact setup as I ran on the 6 and 6+. So, in a sense, I can't rule out the ram but I'm hoping there is a lot more optimization that is going to happen in the next updates for the new phones. I still remember when having 256mb of ram was something to talk about haha.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I can't say for sure as I am running iOS 8.1 beta 2 on my 5S and it is running very well with the same exact setup as I ran on the 6 and 6+. So, in a sense, I can't rule out the ram but I'm hoping there is a lot more optimization that is going to happen in the next updates for the new phones. I still remember when having 256mb of ram was something to talk about haha.

Your posts comparing RAM usage on the 5S, 6, & 6 Plus are making me wonder whether part of the problem for the newer phones are their higher resolutions. I don't know enough about how iOS works to state that with any certainty, but could the higher point count (and pixel count) of the 6 and especially the 6 Plus be contributing to this?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Your posts comparing RAM usage on the 5S, 6, & 6 Plus are making me wonder whether part of the problem for the newer phones are their higher resolutions. I don't know enough about how iOS works to state that with any certainty, but could the higher point count (and pixel count) of the 6 and especially the 6 Plus be contributing to this?

Higher resolution means more RAM for apps to handle view drawing. I'm not talking about a big amount of RAM for every app, but surely there is less ram available with an higher resolution.

I do notice some reloading issues on my iPhone 6 that I didn't on my previous iPhone.
I don't keep many tabs opened in Safari so the issue is not webkit, but apps closed and reopened when I switch between them.
Not a big issue since I don't get the reloading all the time, but it happens more frequently than on the past.
So yes, I could use 2GB of RAM on my iPhone 6. I'm still happy with the new iPhone though because I love the new display size, so moving to iPhone 6 was the right decision.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Yup frustrating.

Like u just opened a few commonly used apps, opened some safari tabs, switched back to the first app and it reloads.

Its super irritating. My thinking was like..'Hey I just opened the app, why did it have to reload?'

what app reloads? I just tried it and went back to OneNote, Paper, podcasts, and notes and none of them reloaded. Are you sure its not an issue with the App save states and not RAM??

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Before buying the iphone I was scared of the reloading thing, but nothing has ever reoaded for me. I have been typing a forum post, gon to another app (imgur for e.g.) then went back to safari and everything is the same

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Crickey... The OP makes One single opening post (nothing further) and this topic is left running wild.
If the OP can't be bothered to come back then why carry on with this pointless debate!

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Stop comparing the 5s to the 6. As somebody who has 'upgraded' from the 5, this lack of RAM is a real pita. We have a vastly superior device in the iPhone 6in almost all respects that performs far worse in terms of memory management than a two year older phone. All for what, a couple of dollars in hardware?

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
i think there will be some ill will when the new iPad shows up to have 2 gigs of ram. This will leave some people going why did they not just upgrade the iPhone as well. This feel so very planned obsolete it is not funny. Apple GM called they want there plan back.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCln9_mgZJo

This video puts me at ease just a bit... :cool::apple:

Yeah, even with the RAM limitation the iPhone 6 is still going to be able to multitask better than most (if not all) current Android devices because of how quick A8 is and the extremely fast NAND sequential read speeds.

The bigger problem tends to be with Safari with frequent tab reloads. I wouldn't mind this as much if it were just a matter of delay, because A8 opens websites extremely quickly for a mobile device.

The real issue is that it's waking the CPU and using battery, additional data, and can cause you to lose your place within the tab. I'm hoping Apple has plans to implement a cache that Safari can write to so that old tabs just get recalled from NAND (like suspended apps) rather than being reloaded from scratch.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
The real issue is that it's waking the CPU and using battery, additional data, and can cause you to lose your place within the tab. I'm hoping Apple has plans to implement a cache that Safari can write to so that old tabs just get recalled from NAND (like suspended apps) rather than being reloaded from scratch.

I agree. I wonder if anyone has done battery comparisons for the NOTE 4 vs. the Plus... or the 6 vs the S5

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
What's annoying is another 1meg ram thread. I have NOT found the occasional reload a problem. Based on the number of phones sold vs the less than a dozen complainers on here, would have to say, pretty much a non issue course I do close things when done with them. I can recall two times in last year that perhaps more ram would have helped when I copied and pasted something between two apps.

If it bothers you that much, there are lots of other phones to choose from. Or live with it. I suspect based on iPad Air 2 specs, next year's phone will have 2 Meg's built into the A9 chip.

Leotno

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
I actually have a daily battle with my iPhone 6 Plus crashing. I set up the phone as new and I don't really mind the safari tabs refreshing because I only have at most two open at a time. My problem is the messaging, camera, photo and music app crashing. It happens on a daily basis, which is a little irritating.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I want to see how the new iPads perform in this regard. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that the tab refreshing issue is not even RAM related.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
What's annoying is another 1meg ram thread. I have NOT found the occasional reload a problem. Based on the number of phones sold vs the less than a dozen complainers on here, would have to say, pretty much a non issue course I do close things when done with them. I can recall two times in last year that perhaps more ram would have helped when I copied and pasted something between two apps.

If it bothers you that much, there are lots of other phones to choose from. Or live with it. I suspect based on iPad Air 2 specs, next year's phone will have 2 Meg's built into the A9 chip.

how many isheep know that the reload thing is an issue? they have been trained by apple that its normal that your phone just reloads everything all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.