iPhone 6 plus replaces iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aarongrooveremt, Mar 24, 2015.

1. aarongrooveremt macrumors newbie

So I stopped in at the apple store and the genius says to me... I'm surprised you have an iPad becasuse I use my iPhone 6 plus more than my iPad. That common?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Choice is a wonderful thing.

I choose to use my iPhone 6 plus whilst out and about and my iPad Air Wifi model at home.

Sounds like the  employee creating small talk to me.

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

The Apple genius can't quantify another person's uses based on HIS uses. I wouldn't even pay attention to what he said. The same could be said for people that would like use a 11" MBP and a 15"MBP. Each screen size has a use. I have an iPad Air and a 6Plus. I certainly don't put down the iPad for the 6 Plus when I need to read and manage emails and several other things that work better for me with a larger screen.

4. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I have both but now feel comfortable leaving the iPad at home and using my iPhone 6 plus when taking short vacations and when I'm out and about at coffee shops, etc.

But to answer your question the iPhone 6plus does NOT replace the iPad for me. It's size still makes it more enjoyable to view photos and work on.

5. Pravda, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

My iPhone 6+ has definitely cannibalized my iPad (but to be fair, i have the third generation iPad, 2012). Only time I'm on my iPad is late nights when i don't want to hear or see texts/phone calls anymore.

Its been pretty much my MBPro and i6+ since October for 80% and rest is iPad.

I don't believe i'll be picking up an iPad once my current one goes. MB/Pro, iPhone 6+ and possible Watch should keep me happy, efficient and productive.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I still use my iPad a lot. My iPhone 6 Plus hasn't really replaced many of its uses, but I guess occasionally I'll use it instead just to look something up on Google.

What I really like about the 6+ is that it makes everything I'd do on my phone that bit easier. I was watching House Of Cards on Netflix on the bus today, and the 5.5" screen was much easier to see than the 4" iPhone 5 or 3.5" iPhone 4.

My iPad usually stays at home so I prefer the extra flexibility I get by having the 6+.

7. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

When I first go my 6 plus I did use it a lot. Now I only use my 6 plus when I leave home. If I'm at home I'll use my air 2 for just about everything.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

I used my iPad Mini for books and watching movies at home sometimes. Most professors lose their minds at the sight of a cell phone but are okay with allowing the use of the iPad for textbooks. I also don't find reading other books very comfortable on the 6 Plus.

I will say that the 6 and 6 Plus have definitely made watching videos while out and about far more pleasurable than it was with the iPhone 5S.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The difference in screen size is not insubstantial. Even between the 6 Plus and the mini.

10. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

yes, since I received my Iphone 6+, I rarely use my Ipad Air 2 anymore. I won't do an Ipad upgrade unless it starts to resemble how a Surface Pro operates....which is unlikely.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Iphone 6+ is great for the extra screen size, though anytime I'm home I pick up the iPad to surf the web. The iPad is a much better experience

12. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I have the 6 Plus, and although I use it more for watching video, You Tube etc than I used to on my previous iPhone’s, I still do use my iPad. I will be due to update my iPad when the next generation comes out and I have no hesitation in getting another iPad.

At the end of the day, the Apple Store Genius is just quoting their usage, but I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on MacRumors that a lot of people use their 6 Plus more than their iPad and some have used the 6 Plus as a replacement.

The 6 Plus is very useful when out and about, has its pocket sized (mostly) and gives a similar experience as to using the iPad.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No possible way around my house. iPad still rule for doing the Internet thing, my 6+ is not even close.

14. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My most used device is my 6 plus, however this is manly due to the fact that it's the most convenient due to it's size. However I use my iPad mini 3 on my daily commute for watching videos and my iPad air 2 for web browsing, videos etc whilst at home.

The larger screen size on the plus is awesome but it can't replace my iPads for me.

15. savagewatts macrumors regular

Great

That's impressive. Obviously making sales isn't always Apple's number 1 priority. Taking care of the customer first leads to the sale. Nice work Apple.

16. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I am noticing this too. I haven't touched my iPad in over 2 weeks. The iPhone 6 Plus is the new "great pooping device."

17. doomfront macrumors regular

Was about to get a Ipad mini until getting a iphone plus. Would only use it on flights, so don't really have a need for it now.

18. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Since the 6 plus is closer in size to the iphone 5 than the ipad mini he didn't really need an iphone in the first place, he needed a larger phone.

19. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I've wondered about this, too. I LOVE my iPad Mini, and I have an iPhone 4S.

I'm curious if an iPhone 6+ could easily replace both for me. I don't use my iPad for movies, but I do play a couple games. I use it 90% of the time for Internet, email and especially Evernote (meeting notes, writing, etc).

My main concern is that I use a fullsized keyboard portfolio with my Mini...and I don't see using that big a keyboard with the 6+ which would make things tougher for me...

20. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 Plus. At first I also thought that the Plus could replace an iPad, but now and after four months using a phablet I believe this to be not the case. I have actually started believing again that phablets are too much of a compromise. They are not that big that can replace the bigger screen of an iPad. Internet surfing, videos, pictures, everything looks and works better on an iPad. A phablet is great when you don't have access to an iPad nearby. I am actually thinking of going back to a normal sized iPhone.

21. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Very interesting. Well, that's my concern about abandoning my Mini in favor of a 6+. I'd love the ability to have one device instead of two, but I do like the real estate of the Mini in a lot of situations. In fact, I rarely use my 4S.

22. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, I noticed it especially when I wanted to surf the Internet. The iPhone 6 Plus has still a relatively small screen. Since I got my iPad, I use my Plus much less.
    Another thing to consider is that most websites display their mobile site on the Plus. The desktop versions are mostly too big for the Plus.
    My next iPhone will be a normal one even if I will miss the battery life of the Plus.
    I have also said many times that iPads do not have a future. I now think they are great devices, especially for consumption.

23. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Although I do use my iPad air less after I got my iPhone 6, it hasn't completely replaced it.

The ipad still has a much bigger screen and a separate battery that can be ran down while the iPhone still lives on. Plus I can use text relay to text without reaching for my iPhone.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

I never bought an iPad. With my iPhone 6 plus, I will never buy an iPad.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have an iPad air and the 6 plus. Previously I had the 5S and found myself using the iPad on a daily basis once I was in the house. However, now that I have the Plus, I hardly use the iPad. Charge it once a week if that.