Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I don't believe i'll be picking up an iPad once my current one goes. MB/Pro, iPhone 6+ and possible Watch should keep me happy, efficient and productive.

I really love my iPad 4, I use it practically every day.

With that said, I was in the Apple store today and looked at the iPhone 6+.

I could see how the combination you state above would be very easy to work with.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I think the only reason why I have used my iPad less is because its an iPad mini and its got an a5 processor which is just so dated compared to the a8. Its weird that something bigger is slower. I prefer not to have to wait. If I was getting a new iPad, I would get a full sized Air though because then when I cane to use it, it would be more of an 'upgrade' in screen realestate (however I have an 11" Air so not sure how this would work out).

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Kind of a mixed bag here. On one hand I use my 6 Plus far more than any previous iPhone and I do find myself using my iPad Mini 2 far less than before, but there are certain things I just can't do comfortably on my phone that I prefer to do on the tablet (or on my larger iPad 3, which is starting to show its age). I've been thinking about selling both my iPad Mini 2 and iPad 3 and just buying an Air 2.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I've got an iPhone 6, a rMacBook Pro, and a 1st generation iPad Mini. Honestly I don't use my iPad Mini really at all and I probably use my iPhone for 95% of my usage whether I'm at work, school, or at home. To be fair though the iPad Mini is still running iOS 7 and is pretty sluggish. Even though I love my iPhone 6, I may just eliminate my iPad all together in the fall and get a 6S Plus.

The need for an iPad isn't as much as a need for me as it use to be.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Very interesting. Well, that's my concern about abandoning my Mini in favor of a 6+. I'd love the ability to have one device instead of two, but I do like the real estate of the Mini in a lot of situations. In fact, I rarely use my 4S.

I think the 6+ will be too big for you.

I was like you when using a 4S I had (and still have) an iPad mini and an 11"MBA. I found I was lugging all three around for work / travel / leisure etc.

Once I bought the 6, I dumped the iPad mini, because you can actually read and reply to emails on a 6, much better than on a 4S. Productivity ramps up and frustration goes down. Also I never really consumed media like TV / videos / Youtube as much as I did on my 4S and used my iPad for that until I upgraded.

The size of the the 6 is a big jump from the 4S if you never used the 5 (slightly bigger than the 4S) as I never did, but you get used to it almost immediately and wonder why it was never always that size.

For what it is worth, I tried to upgrade to a 6S+ last year, but this did not work out for me, as I could not get comfortable with the bigger size (and that is after using the 6 for over a year), so it went back after a week.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I don't have an iPhone Plus, but I do have a 2015 Moto X which has a slightly larger display than the Pluses, and I wouldn't even think about ditching my iPad for it full time. The Moto X's large display is nice when I'm out and don't want to/can't bring my iPad, but any opportunity I have to use a 9.7" display over a 5.7" one, I'm taking it.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Personally I find the iPad air 2 easier to hold than the iPhone+ models. Maybe the iPad is just more balanced.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Never had any interest in an iPad, although I've bought a couple as gifts. Got a 6s plus about a month ago and I love it. Doubt that I will ever buy an iPad now, my 11" MBA isn't a whole lot bigger than an iPad and is much more useful for the kinds of things I do.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I can not imagine using my 6S+ for all of my Internet cruising.

I replaced my retired my Air 3 for a new iPad Pro and love the screen real estate!

But if the screen on a phone makes you happy, enjoy!

Last edited:

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I can not imagine using my 6S+ for all of my Internet cruising.

I replaced my retired my Air 3 for a new iPad Pro and love the screen real estate!

But if the screen on a phone makes you happy, enjoy!
I couldn't imagine using an OS as weak as iOS to do what can be done a million times better on a laptop.

Reactions: Boyd01

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I couldn't imagine using an OS as weak as iOS to do what can be done a million times better on a laptop.

I guess we both lack imagination as I have not had a laptop in my lap from the first day the iPad was introduced. I still own a laptop but my office or house desktop run for real work and the iPPro does the recreational stuff and the Air 3 does the field work nicely.

Why does one need a full laptop to do the Internet?

"A Million times"? Really? LOL!

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I rarely read newspapers/magazines or do research on the web on the Plus....just too small, too uncomfortable for those purposes. I see it as a utility device to do those things at work or away from home but there is definitely a place in my mind for the big format screens.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I can see where they're coming from, but for its a no.

I use my iPad and iPhone for different reasons, some are the same but mostly different.

I like the variety and choice of screen size.

iPhone>iPad>MBP>ATV

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
To me, an iPad is an unnecessary invention. A smartphone and laptop is all I need. I've tried the iPad Mini 2, and I did my best to like it but I ended up selling it after a month or two. I absolutely prefer using my phone and my MBP for browsing, watching videos etc.

I use my phone when I'm on the go, or when I'm on the couch doing some quick browsing or voice searches, also in bed browsing and some Instagram etc. before I go to sleep and when I wake up. I use the MBP in the dining room (my favorite place to chill) or on the couch while watching TV. I like having a physical keyboard, a screen without dirty smudges, and one hand free when I'm scrolling through webpages with a cup of coffee in my other hand. I know you could do that too on an iPad with one hand but it's uncomfortable and cumbersome. An iPad/tablet never again for me.

Last edited:

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I don't have an iPhone Plus, but I do have a 2015 Moto X which has a slightly larger display than the Pluses, and I wouldn't even think about ditching my iPad for it full time. The Moto X's large display is nice when I'm out and don't want to/can't bring my iPad, but any opportunity I have to use a 9.7" display over a 5.7" one, I'm taking it.

Pretty much the story of my life. I also have a 5.7-inch phone, an S6 Edge+, and an iPad Air 2. My phone is easily accessible, and I specifically use it for certain things such as Instagram, Snapchat and taking photos, but apart from that my iPad is my main device.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Pretty much the story of my life. I also have a 5.7-inch phone, an S6 Edge+, and an iPad Air 2. My phone is easily accessible, and I specifically use it for certain things such as Instagram, Snapchat and taking photos, but apart from that my iPad is my main device.
When I get home, my phone goes on the charge and stays there until I leave again. Bonus side effect is that my phone is always fully charged when I go out and it's never died on me once.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
On the go I like my 6+ and at home I like my iPad mini 2.

6+ is far away to replace my iPad mini 2. It starts with the software keyboard, keyboard size and key layout on iPad.

Then 6+ doesn't have multitasking gestures which I use A LOT on my iPad mini 2. Even 6S+ can't compete with 3D Touch app switcher, because it doesn't work in landscape mode.

Maybe a 6+ with 5.5" or 6" with 4:3 screen format (like on iPad) can change my mind. But then it should run also iPad apps.

Apple lost interest for every small detail...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.