Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
You don't need a screen protector, unless you are one of those people who's phone looks like it was used as a hockey puck after a few weeks. :D

I have a couple of friends like that. But if you are reasonably careful and don't chuck it around like a maniac, you won't get a scratch. I never have. Plus it ruins the feel and makes the screen look wacky, despite what anybody says.

I disagree. It doesn't matter how careful you are its still a good idea to have a screen protector. It doesn't ruin the feel or make the screen look wacky especially if you use a good quality screen protector.

Those cut outs suck!

They look fine to me. What's wrong with them.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I disagree. It doesn't matter how careful you are its still a good idea to have a screen protector. It doesn't ruin the feel or make the screen look wacky especially if you use a good quality screen protector.

They look fine to me. What's wrong with them.

Well I respectfully disagree. I have yet to see one that doesn't have at least some effect on the feel of the screen and the look of the screen. Some are better than others but they all suck and they are completely unnecessary.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Well I respectfully disagree. I have yet to see one that doesn't have at least some effect on the feel of the screen and the look of the screen. Some are better than others but they all suck and they are completely unnecessary.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. :D

Zagg IS Glass is like the naked screen (my opinion). Feels great and lifetime replacements. Curved edges are very nice.

As I have said on another thread, I am wondering what glass SPs will be like on the 6, since ITS glass edges are curved.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. :D

Zagg IS Glass is like the naked screen (my opinion). Feels great and lifetime replacements. Curved edges are very nice.

As I have said on another thread, I am wondering what glass SPs will be like on the 6, since ITS glass edges are curved.

Yes, I've seen the Zagg ones before and they are better than others but still blow :D The curved edges of the glass are likely to be an issue. If you put a protector on that just stops short of the curve, that's going to look crappy to see the edges of the protector. The edges are also likely to be really difficult to keep stuck down if they make ones that try to wrap around the curve. That's a really small and sharply curved area.

I always put protectors on the backs of my iPads, and it was really a pain to get the edges to stay down on the curves of the Air. I can’t imagine trying to get the edges of that little short curve to stay down. That's going to be a pain. Plus there really isn't an "edge" to work to since the glass seamlessly transitions into the case. Another good argument for going without a screen protector. :D

I do but jest. I have lots of friends who always put protectors on, and that's fine. One of my friends the other day had got a new phone and he hadn't gotten his protector yet and I was telling him that it's really hard to scratch glass. To demonstrate, I jokingly took one of my keys and just barely touched his screen with it, he jumped back and I thought he was going to have a stroke.

Last edited:

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012

Oh they absolutely ruin the feel and look. Screen protectors don't have the oleophobic coating. So in addition to not feeling as smooth as a naked screen, you also get more smudges and fingerprints.

I bit the bullet and took off screen protectors for my 5s. There are definitely tiny micro scratches on my screen but I don't care because they're not visible unless I really look for them with my phone off

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Frame around the edge

Images are showing a "frame" around the tempered glass protectors and after emailing two manufacturers found out they are short of covering the entire screen becauseo of the curve. I'm going to wait awhile. I've also never yet scratched a screen so I'll probably just pass. I've mostly used the Piel Frama iMagnum (around $80-$90 cases.com) and like the protection. Here's a 0.15mm tempered glass I found at Amazon, it shows the frame. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGHM6VU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2C3SMXXIDC93V

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree as in my experience that's not always the case.

----------

Oh they absolutely ruin the feel and look. Screen protectors don't have the oleophobic coating. So in addition to not feeling as smooth as a naked screen, you also get more smudges and fingerprints.

I bit the bullet and took off screen protectors for my 5s. There are definitely tiny micro scratches on my screen but I don't care because they're not visible unless I really look for them with my phone off

Again I disagree. It depends on the screen protector. Some are better then others and they don't all ruin the feel and look. At the end of the day its subjective and a matter of opinion.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree as in my experience that's not always the case.

----------

Again I disagree. It depends on the screen protector. Some are better then others and they don't all ruin the feel and look. At the end of the day its subjective and a matter of opinion.

Absolutely. Let's agree to disagree.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Ordered the Zagg HDX. I've trusted Zagg over the years to protect my iPhone 4, 5 & iPad Mini. Great customer service too, if you should ever need it. (Warranty replacements without a hastle)

Are the selling the HDX for the iPhone 6+? I can't seem to find it on their website.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I usually use Spigen Glass series. But with Touch ID I am gonna go with just the crystal clear protector.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have used the Spigen glass.tR on my 5S and it works great. However, the iPhone 5s has a flat screen. I have no idea how Spigen is going to create a curved edge protector. If they don't, it will make swiping on the 6 more of a pain. If they don't curve it, I won't buy.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I know this thread is for the iPhone 6 plus, but does any body know of any good screen protectors for the front and back of the iPhone 6? I thought there might be a company that did these for both phones so thought I'd try here? I didn't want to start yet another new thread and haven't found another.

Just bought a Spigen Neo Hybrid EX bumper as I had one of these on my iPhone 5 and have been thoroughly impressed with it. Juts need front and back protection now but can only find protectors for the front so far. :confused:

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006

You haven't tried the right one then.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
With the curved glass edge of the iphone, Zagg's glass has a rounded edge, so I am wondering if it will look strange without a case.

I love their Glass and lifetime replacements, however. Nicest glass I have ever used on iPhones.

I am hoping this phone is very scratch resistant, unless someone invents a SP that can curve.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
I was looking for a new screen protector for the iPhone 6 that I just ordered and came across this promo code for ZAGG. I used one of the invisible shields for my iPhone 5 when I got it, it lasted for two years. Good opportunity to save 20% on a little extra protection with code ZAGGMAC20, only discount I've seen....better than nothing!

get the deal here!

Thank you! Saved me about $15. I just placed my order for two Glass protectors and it says due to order volume it may be delayed up to a week, does anyone have experience ordering from them for launch? How fast do they usually ship seeing as it says they won't start leaving till the 19th.

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I had the glas.tr for my 5s and although it protected the screen well it was an absolute fingerprint magnet and a nightmare to clean. Won't be going down that road again.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Been using the Spigen SGP Ultra Crystals since the iPhone 5... only because PowerSupport took too long to get to market and also more expensive. I would say they're comparable in terms of quality.

Sucks that the new Spigen screen protectors have those funky cutouts. Will be interesting to see how they fit on the curved screen of the 6. Tempted to just go naked BUT those screen protectors have saved my phone from a few face down drops.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
The curved edges are gonna make screen protectors a very difficult application.

From the Spigen website: "**Due the iPhone 6 Plus (5.5”) having a curved display, the screen protector is shaped to fit the flat part of the display to prevent lifting at the edges".

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I think the edge curves are so slight that it'll be fine?

Does anyone remember the old 'Power Support Crystal Shield/Film'? They went on via static I guess. Would anyone know who would carry the same product? It was the best for the screen IMO. I couldn't tell it was on.

Power Support has always been my favorite. I have used them with every iPhone. I like the anti-glare ones best. You can order them from their website:

http://www.powersupportintl.com

Unfortunately, they don't have them yet for the 6/6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.