Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idriss345

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
Tmobile hotspot

Guys this is the only question that was not asked on this thread.
Does the verizon iphone 6 work with TMOBILE hotspot?
I read somewhere that verizon hotspot on the iphone 6 is locked, Can you guys check that and let me know.

Also for those who use tmobile, does the visual message and wifi calling work as well.

Thanks

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Guys this is the only question that was not asked on this thread.
Does the verizon iphone 6 work with TMOBILE hotspot?
I read somewhere that verizon hotspot on the iphone 6 is locked, Can you guys check that and let me know.

Also for those who use tmobile, does the visual message and wifi calling work as well.

Thanks

Everything works perfectly as if it was a T-Mobile phone. Wi-Fi Calling, VoLTE, Personal Hotspot, Visual Voicemail. Everything.

idriss345

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
Everything works perfectly as if it was a T-Mobile phone. Wi-Fi Calling, VoLTE, Personal Hotspot, Visual Voicemail. Everything.

Thanks for the reply.
one more question. Are you using a verizon iphone 6 with tmobile sim card or you are just assuming that it works?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thanks for the reply.
one more question. Are you using a verizon iphone 6 with tmobile sim card or you are just assuming that it works?

I had a Verizon iPhone 6+ on AT&T and the hotspot function worked fine. My wife's Verizon iPhone 5s is also fully functional on AT&T.

Why are you assuming it won't work? The Verizon model is the same hardware as the AT&T or T-Mobile models.

idriss345

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
I had a Verizon iPhone 6+ on AT&T and the hotspot function worked fine. My wife's Verizon iPhone 5s is also fully functional on AT&T.

Why are you assuming it won't work? The Verizon model is the same hardware as the AT&T or T-Mobile models.

I read 2 forum where people had problem with the hotspot. I think Verizon locks that feature so that you pay extra 20 bucks every month to use it.

Whenever they tried to activate it, it'd pop up a msg like "please contact verizon"

I just want to make sure that it works before I purchase the device

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I read 2 forum where people had problem with the hotspot. I think Verizon locks that feature so that you pay extra 20 bucks every month to use it.

Whenever they tried to activate it, it'd pop up a msg like "please contact verizon"

I can confirm that the hotspot function of the Verizon 5s and 6+ both work on AT&T, so it isn't locked.

Besides, they only charge for hotspot function on the non "shared data" plans.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a Verizon 6 Plus on T-Mobile. Hotspot capability depends on your phone plan. If your plan doesn't support it, it will be locked on the phone.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

If you are a Verizon customer with a legacy Nationwide plan with an Android on your line, then that happens. And it is an extra $30/mo. But you can use PDANet/FoxFi on most Androids and WiFi tether for free. The only exception to that is Motorola phones - you need root to WiFi tether for free. Although even on Motorola phones w/o root you can USB and bluetooth tether for free using PDANet/FoxFi.

With an iP6/6+, there simply is no hotspot feature to turn on in the Settings menu if you have a Nationwide plan unless you log online and add the hotspot feature to your line for an extra $30/mo. If you jailbreak the phone and pay $3 for an app, the hotspot feature appears in the Settings menu w/o having to add the hotspot feature online and you can use the hotspot feature for free.

If you are on a More Everything plan, the hotspot feature is included at no extra charge.

So on Verizon, as others have pointed out, it depends on your plan. However even with the Nationwide plans as long as you can jailbreak, root or use PDANet/FoxFi, you can WiFi tether for free on Verizon.

Last edited:

sneha reddy

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Iphone 6plus with verizon

I am right now placed in India with a verizon iPhone 6 plus (unlocked like everyone knows). As I tried putting a Vodaphone SIM in that, it shows me a message saying "the SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

any solutions?

Brainysquest

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
I have a question. My girlfriend bought me a iPhone 6plus for me on my birthday. The phone is on the edge program and the account is in her name. We broke up and I kept the phone and it isn't suspended or canceled. She still has it on edge program though. Can I take it to another carrier and get a contract on it in my own name since its unlocked and her account is current? And if if I take the phone to another carrier... Can she try and say the phone is stolen?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a question. My girlfriend bought me a iPhone 6plus for me on my birthday. The phone is on the edge program and the account is in her name. We broke up and I kept the phone and it isn't suspended or canceled. Can I take it to another carrier and get a contract on it in my own name since its unlocked and her account is current?
She owes money for the phone--basically a loan--but that's basically it.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wait so how does this treat the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling feature? A Verizon phone doesn't even have this option to toggle in settings, so what if you buy a Verizon phone and put a T-Mobile SIM in it does the toggle just show up?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wait so how does this treat the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling feature? A Verizon phone doesn't even have this option to toggle in settings, so what if you buy a Verizon phone and put a T-Mobile SIM in it does the toggle just show up?
Yeah, that's basically how it would work, it would come with the carrier settings essentially.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My question is... Can she say the phone was stolen because she has to pay for the service for that phone on her contract?
She can (unfortunately) just like even if it was already paid off or anything like that, as long as it was activated on her account at some point basically. It would generally just blacklist it on Verizon's network though.

Brainysquest

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Since the phone has a IMEI OR MEID CODE, that Verizon has.... If I got it on att, can Verizon track it or shut it off?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since the phone has a IMEI OR MEID CODE, that Verizon has.... If I got it on att, can Verizon track it or shut it off?
They can't shut it off, but if they share their blacklist with other carriers that would also enforce it then that carrier might not allow for it to be activated or perhaps deactivate it. But generally speaking, while I believe AT&T and T-Mobile share blacklists (or at least supposed to), I don't believe Verizon is part of that (or hasn't really been so far).

Brainysquest

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
My only worry is that att will do it and then she will get mad and call Verizon and somehow they can suspend phone, or if att is doing the process and somehow Verizon sends her a text or a call and says one of the phones on your account is being set up on another carrier ... And then she tells them to suspend it or label it as stolen.

----------

And then I will be stuck with an att contract and no phone.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
My only worry is that att will do it and then she will get mad and call Verizon and somehow they can suspend phone, or if att is doing the process and somehow Verizon sends her a text or a call and says one of the phones on your account is being set up on another carrier ... And then she tells them to suspend it or label it as stolen.

----------

And then I will be stuck with an att contract and no phone.
Just a thought ,man up and give the phone back to her or pay off the edge balance. Gain instant karma points for doing the right thing. If not then yes legally it is her phone, the value of the phone is enough to put you in a real bind if she goes the stolen route and files a police report.

Last edited:

Brainysquest

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
It's not about "man up" she bought me the phone for a birthday present and I am paying the monthly service for it. Ashe has already suspended it because she got mad and then I suspended like the next day... But because she is scorned... She threatens to do it again. She won't take phone back. She says it's mine and I'm responsible for it. I just don't want the drama of always wondering what day it will be on or off.

----------

Plus...... She would be making a false police report because the phone was not stolen from her. She bought and gave it to me. ......
Just a thought ,man up and give the phone back to her or pay off the edge balance. Gain instant karma points for doing the right thing. If not then yes legally it is her phone, the value of the phone is enough to put you in a real bind if she goes the stolen route and files a police report.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not about "man up" she bought me the phone for a birthday present and I am paying the monthly service for it. Ashe has already suspended it because she got mad and then I suspended like the next day... But because she is scorned... She threatens to do it again. She won't take phone back. She says it's mine and I'm responsible for it. I just don't want the drama of always wondering what day it will be on or off.

----------

Plus...... She would be making a false police report because the phone was not stolen from her. She bought and gave it to me. ......
To report the phone as stolen or lost to a carrier there's no police report involvement or anything like that.

princesslonyce

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2016
So wait, sorry if I'm slow here. But if I buy a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus at full price, it's unlocked AND I can T-Mobile?
Just found out that you don't have to buy the phone full price because I didn't and I'm using a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus on AT&T the Verizon coverage was not the best in my area

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.