iPhone 6 Pre-Orders in China Top 20 Million Through Carriers and E-Commerce Site JD

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese mobile carriers and Chinese e-commerce site Jingdong Mall (JD.com) have processed a combined total of about 20 million pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus since pre-orders began on October 10, reports Tencent (Google Translate, via Digitimes).

The report notes that China's three biggest carriers including China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom have processed over 10 million of those pre-orders, while JD.com states that it has received 9.5 million pre-orders for both devices. JD.com specifies that 4.7 million pre-orders are for the iPhone 6, while 4.8 million pre-orders are for the iPhone 6 Plus. The figures also do not include pre-orders accepted by Apple or its over 6,000 resellers in the country.

Last Friday, it was reported that the three major Chinese carriers had taken one million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders in the first six hours. Apple announced on September 22 that opening weekend sales for both devices topped ten million units, breaking the previous record of nine million units set by the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c in 2013. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will officially be available in China this Friday, October 17.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Pre-Orders in China Top 20 Million Through Carriers and E-Commerce Site JD

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Those are incredible numbers. I wonder what the total sales figure will be. At this rate Apple will have hit 1billion iPhone sales by mid-next year.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Maybe it wasn't too bad a thing China was left out of the first & second round of release for iPhone 6 series...? Lots of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were "sent back" to China at those countries by those people who wanted to make some bucks, and even after that the demands are so high.

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
NYC, New York
Amazing time to buy apple stock. They are getting ahold on the rest of the world FAST!! $200 a share within a year!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Those numbers seem to equal all iphone 6/plus sales up until now combined.
No wonder Apple has been so focused on China. And still it seems amazing to me that people in China are able to afford the iPhone's in these large numbers. The average income is significantly lower in China as compared to the U.S.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
So about 30-35 million units and counting.

Cha-ching!
Does anyone know the European market numbers? US numbers up to this week? I haven't seen them anywhere. It is most likely well north of 40m units when counting global sales to date, probably closer to 50.

I think Apple said they wanted to have 70m by the end of the quarter. They are well on their way.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Those numbers seem to equal all iphone 6/plus sales up until now combined.
No wonder Apple has been so focused on China. And still it seems amazing to me that people in China are able to afford the iPhone's in these large numbers. The average income is significantly lower in China as compared to the U.S.
You forget that there is a big difference of income between those living in the city and country. Since a high percentage of China's population is still farmers, the average income will skewer toward the low end. However, if you consider the middle class in the cities, the population that can afford Apple products is likely to be very close to or more than the entire population of the US.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Wow, congrats Apple.

I really like my iPhone 6. Best all round phone I've ever used. Sales like this are well deserved.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I had a chance to play with both 6 and 6+ this weekend at my local Apple store. I was blown away by how fast and smooth both the phones are...

I have a 5s running 8.0.2 and that is also running smooth as silk, but the speed of 6 & 6+ blew me away...

Only thing I was unsure of was if I liked the size of 6+. I prefer the size of 5s or 6... maybe 6+ size will grow on me over time, who knows...

But I cannot wait for my 5s contract to be over and I will definitely be getting either a 6 or 6+...

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Does anyone know the European market numbers? US numbers up to this week? I haven't seen them anywhere. It is most likely well north of 40m units when counting global sales to date, probably closer to 50.

I think Apple said they wanted to have 70m by the end of the quarter. They are well on their way.
Could be. Was just making a rough estimate based on the 10m pre-order and this China figure. But i assume it would be notably higher than that.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
So that's 20 million in China through carriers, plus the 10 million the first three days during initial online pre order launch... If we consider that doesn't include how many were sold in carrier orders outside China and Apple.com orders in China then they're well on their way to 70 million by the end of the quarter.

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
I'm starting to think that Icahn's $1 trillion estimated valuation of Apple might happen fairly soon. can't wait for the conference Thursday! :apple:

seanbush

macrumors member
May 30, 2013
That's a lot of phones.... Being promised to another country when we still have un-filled day of pre-orders in the US

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.