iPhone 6 scratch resistance non existant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 7, 2014.

1. oplix, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Guys be careful with iphone 6. I kinda fell for the claims of superior scratch resistance of the screen per some of the earlier leaks.

This thing fell out of my pocket last night about 12-18 inches to the floor. It has a huge DEEP scratch on the screen now. It fell on a flat surface and did not slide. My iphone 5 I owned for 2 years and literally didnt have a single scratch on the screen.

The screen on the iphone 6 is NOT Gorilla glass but a CHEAPER iteration.

It's outside the return window so I am stuck with this thing.

Again be careful and get a screen protector. This phone has no scratch resistance on the front glass.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its glass, it will get scratched, I concur with the other poster. Ghost armor is great, use that or some other screen protector.

3. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I'm pointing out that the quality of the screen's resistance has degraded since the previous model.

4. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Just because your phone scratched, that doesn't mean that the screen is made of something other than Gorilla glass. Is the glass actually scratched or is it the coating on the glass that is scratched?

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

It cannot be scratched by metal but can by quartz... which is fairly common in sand and well, gravel.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

My 5S has plenty of minor screen scratches, a couple impact pits (tiny), and one ~2mm chip in the corner. Pretty sure it's business as usual, you just got unlucky and the phone landed on a small piece of sufficiently hard rock/sand.

My point is that you're making a pretty significant statement without any real data, and I could just as easily say "look at how easily my 5S screen scratched from some short drops, it's clearly using a cheaper glass than ____(some phone I've previously owned that I didn't manage to scratch)."

7. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

I can confirm that what you said is true. I got my iPhone 6+ last week and I only used this without protecting film for about one day. And when I put film on it I found that there are some minor scratched on the surface of the screen. My iPhone 5 was used by me about 2 years without protection and screen still looks like new.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I presume you have some empirical data to back up your slanderous claims?

9. HolyGrail, Oct 7, 2014

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

If you think Gorilla glass is scratch proof, you would be wrong. My old Android phones with Gorilla glass would get micro scratches just from wiping them with a cloth over time. The funny thing is, my iPad 3 with its Apple glass, still after wiping it over the years still looks new after cleaning prints and dust away.

And after seeing all the micro scratches on my friends galaxy s5, I am not a GG fan.

10. pullfocus, Oct 7, 2014

pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Dropped mine getting out of my car. It's in a case, but no screen protector.
    Took a three foot drop onto asphalt. Craptastic, chunky downtown LA asphalt.
    Bounced around like a superball a couple of times before settling screen down.

Not one scratch or scuff.

****** happens. It does. Ian Malcolm, chaos theory, and all that whatnot.

So let's not generalize and try and create another "issue" that doesn't exist.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I really enjoy these threads. They always start off with "my phone dropped from so and so height and now has a scratch" and because of this "the materials are sub-par/cheaper - BOO!".

Stuff happens man. Your phone fell, it either got scratched on the floor or in your pocket (where lint/sand/dirt and dust reside). The glass isn't any worse than previous models and like all glass (Gorilla or not), it WILL scratch and is not scratch proof. It may be scratch RESISTANT. People seem to equate resistant with proof. Doesn't work that way.

IMO - I wouldn't allow you to return the phone because it has a scratch on it that you caused. Does it suck? Sure but that's why you get Apple care a screen protector or something else if you're prone to dropping or you might think that will happen.

The fault here lies with you. ;)

12. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This is why I always put a screen saver on all my iPhones as soon as I open the box.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You can still add Applecare+.

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

So just to summarize:

If you forcibly bend your phone, it will bend.

If you drop your phone it will scratch and/or break.

Does that about sum up our new info so far?

Anybody want to try throwing it in a pool so we can have a new thread about how the iPhone 6 isn't as waterproof as it should be?

15. pmau macrumors 65816

In other news I dropped a coffee mug from my desk and it simply bounced without breaking but spilled a load of coffee on the floor.

Later, I dropped another mug in the sink, just a few inches from my hand to the bottom of the sink.

What should I tell you. It shattered into 187 pieces.

This little story should tell you that the outcome of such an event can not be used to draw any valid conclusion regarding the quality of the material.
    Too many variables will influence the outcome.

I have to drop 10.000.000 mugs in a controlled fashion to tell what the weak points of the material and its design is.

Goodnight.
    This is ridiculous. Stuff falls down, stuff breaks and scratches ... or not.

16. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Are you serious?

17. mattbnr macrumors newbie

18. lke macrumors 6502a

19. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Only time will tell, but I will attest to this. I had a 3GS and 4S for a combined total of five years, and the most I ever got was a hairline scratch on the 4S that was only visible when the screen was turned on and at a very bright colour (eg. white). 3GS display was flawless when I traded it in.

Now I'm less than three weeks into owning a 6 Plus, and have been very careful with it (since reports of bending), and I notice a long scratch down the middle of the screen. Looking into screen protectors now before something worse happens.

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since you are stating that as fact will you be kind enough to share your proof backing up your claim. :roll eyes:

Yea, I thought as much.

----------

Posts like this should be instantly bannable.

21. Kariya, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

This is why i've never bought the "you don't need a screen protector" argument. You ALWAYS need one unless you're ready to accept scratches and scuffs.

22. aldoF macrumors regular

no no no...GorillaGate...or maybe GorillaLessGate!

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Why would Apple downgrade the glass?

----------

Post might be a bit harsh a time out should do. But threads. Those should be a no brainier ban.

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

I see what you did there and that would work for me.