iPhone 6 + Users - Who is getting rid of their iPad now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KadMac, Sep 12, 2014.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

Now that I have the iPhone 6 + on the way, I am really considering on getting rid of my iPad 3. I am wondering if the 5.5 will be good enough for reading books and everything else. It might be nice to just have one device instead of two. I mainly use the bigger screen of my iPad for reading and Hearthstone. Since Hearthstone will be released for iPhone sometime this year, I think I may be good to go. :D

I don't know though - anyone else going to get rid of their iPad after getting the iPhone 6 Plus?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm not getting rid of my ipad; it'll still be the browser of choice around the house, but i definitely won't be taking it out of the house anymore, and i don't see myself upgrading to a new model this year.

3. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Got rid of mine 2 months ago and got a laptop. Much better purchase

4. BlkHammer macrumors regular

I ordered the 6+ so I would not have the need for an iPad. I retired my iPad air to my wife, and my 1st gen mini from my wife to my daughter now. I will rock my 128gb iPhone 6+ / 2012 macbook air. :cool:

5. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

My youngest daughter can have my iPad 3 now...yup...I'm planning to get rid..

6. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

The pocket book fits the 7" iPad. Most text books fit the 9" iPad.

So 5.5" iPhone really doesn't work well for book reading. I will have to wait and see. But I suggest keeping your iPad.. You will miss it.

7. Ortiz7983 Suspended

Well I have an iPad Air. If I had a mini I would sell it after getting the 6+ to get an air.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'm planning on selling my iPad mini Retina as soon as I get my beloved sexy iPhone 6+ Silver 128GB. I'm going to have phonegasm (not what urban dictionary has lol) next Friday ALL night long.

9. christurbo macrumors regular

I have an iPad Air and a 5S.

Took both on vacation but used my 5S more than my Air for browser, email, etc.

So I think I may well consider retiring the Air once my 6+ arrives.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I very well might. The speed and Retina HD display will likely make me want to use my iPad Air a lot less, and I only use it for an hour a week at most now.

But I may purchase the next iPad release...

11. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Some apps will only run on the Ipad, will they now be able to be used with the iPhone 6+ ?

12. Ayr macrumors 6502

We had two iPads and gave both away, one to our friend's toddler who loves it.

They were rubbish at handling files so were really best suited to casual tasks like browsing and reading books, for which I consider them bulky and heavy.

I said 8/9 months ago when we got rid of them that my next phone would be a phablet sized device that takes place of both phone and tablet (as reading and browsing on small iPhone 4 sized screens was nonsense for anything more than occasional use) and I was glad Apple brought out these larger sized phones (else I was off to Samsung).

Haven't missed the iPad even once.

13. yegon macrumors 68020

I'll rarely use my rMini, but will probably keep it.

I spent about a year using an iPad 3 almost exclusively, while my mba sat idle. I then bought a rMini, the ram/tab situation was so appalling (much worse than my old iPad 3) I went back to laptops in a big way and bought a late '13 15" rmbp. Fantastic decision, tablets are okay for some stuff but I'd forgotten how wonderful it was using a fantastic keyboard/trackpad/oodles of ram, proper multitasking blah blah.

Since then, I only ever use the rMini when I go to work/travel etc. A 6 Plus pretty much negates the need for an iPad, the only thing I'll miss is Edge magazine and, rarely, the odd comic. I've long since given up on iOS games, never have them on phone for battery reasons and besides, 5 minutes noodling with the touch screen and I start pining for my Vita. Critics of the Vita say what you will, I've got great backlog of games on it to play through.

As such, I can see the rMini being my last iPad purchase for a very long time.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think there will be a lot of places I can substitute the 6 Plus for the iPad Air, such as going out of town for a day or two. But I'm not getting rid of it. If you look at the screen size of the 6+ compared to a 10" iPad, the difference is still massive. Netflix definitely works better on a large iPad still. So will Garage Band, Lightroom, and a lot of other apps. iBooks I'm not sure about yet, I can see the comfort of a smaller, lighter device trumping the bigger screen there. PDF books are iffy even on a 10" iPad, so I don't think they'll work well on a phone (especially technical books with small print and diagrams). Some games will still work better on iPad. With an iPad Mini, it's definitely a more interesting question.

15. MalR macrumors newbie

Well, when I got married, my wife assumed possession of my retina Mini, now I guess I can let her call it hers. I still have my Air...it's the best travel device on the planet.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

Yeah, despite what I said above, if I ever did get another iPad, it'd be the largest one. A 6 Plus and a Mini makes little sense really, unless you read a tonne of magazines/comics and like to game a lot, which I generally don't.

17. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I have an iPad mini and use it a lot for watching Sky Go/Netflix etc so I will see how I get on with the 5.5 inch screen for this before I make any decisions.

However I am hopeful that I will be able to cut a device down. However I will be retaining the big iPad for other uses.

18. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I'm going to sell my iPad mini. With the iPhone 6 Plus there is no need for two devices anymore.

19. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I'm getting rid of my iPad, but I'm replacing it with the years iPad Air. Yes the Plus is big, but it's not big enough for me to brows the web comfortably or read comics in Comixology.

20. Grmnracing macrumors regular

iPhone 6 + Users - Who is getting rid of their iPad now?

This is the exact reasoning that was going through my head when I bought the iPhone 6 (4.7). I use an iPad once I get home for everything I do. The ability to use iMessage on iPad and now with handoff I didn't see a reason for the 6+. I also have a 15 inch rMbp to use. I much rather save the battery life on my phone for if I need it, and use another device. This is my opinion and is right for me. This will not be the only correct solution. In my opinion the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 is the best size for me out of what is available. My iPad mini is large enough to use for everything I do. At the same time very portable with the system I use to carry it.

21. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Since the 6 + won't have black bars the video size will be roughly the same size/bigger on the 6 +.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I won't get rid of it, but I will use it far less (it's already mostly a dust collector).

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not I. The iPad > iPhone. Maybe mini vs iPhone 6+ might be an interesting discussion! but still, on a tablet! the bigger screen is better. My Air is my go to device for email and browsing. I'll use my iPhone when my Air is not handy.

24. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Already sold my Mini, and have my 5 sold upon arrival of the 6+

25. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

I've got a rMini that I'll be keeping for books, comics, movies, and for use while traveling internationally.