iphone 6 vs 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkie7, Nov 2, 2014.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I like the 6 better for size

but like the 6+ b/c of optical stabilisation (OIS). photography/video is important to me, so I can't easily overlook this difference

the 6+ has a bit longer battery life, but its bigger – bigger than what I'd like

any pro/cons for either I haven't considered?

which have you gone for?

2. stasha macrumors 6502

I had both i choose the plus because i take a lot of picture and the camera of the plus is truly amazing,camera is my biggest reason to choose the plus, and coming from 5s to me the 6 regular isnt much an upgrade.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have giant hands that can use the 6 one handed? If not and you have to give up one handed use I'd say the 6+ is the better option as you can use it more as a small tablet. I haven't bought one since they are both too big for me, but that's the impression I've gotten after playing around with both of them.

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have big hands. I can use a 6 no problem. but my hands are not yeti size for a plus. How is the plus then for taking photos one handed??

6. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

I have been using both and I have to say ois even though its nice on paper I haven't noticed much difference in camera quality at all. Maybe during lower light situations but over all video and stills look great and pretty close to the same on both. Also battery life on the 6 I just got this today. So to me IMO I would say the six or six plus or pretty on par. Except for screen resolution and slight display quaility .

[​IMG]

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I've had both and I chose to keep the 6. The Plus wasn't too big but big enough to limit my one handed use of it. It's great for at home and the screen is awesome but the regular 6 was better for on the road use and for taking photos. Was able to use the OIS of the Plus when filming the Blue Angels but that was it. Not a killer feature.

However, the battery life on the Plus is incredible but I charge my devices nightly anyway.

8. stasha macrumors 6502

im a girl and its big its true but i can handle it easily

9. kepler20b macrumors 6502

get the 6+

you cannot kill the battery in one day.

Ive tried, its almost impossible unless you sit in bed for 8 hours straight streaming over LTE.

10. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Base the decision mostly on whether you are willing to handle/pocket the larger phone size. It's quite hard to tell for sure at first - you really have to own it for a number of days or know someone who will let you spend lots of time with it, or in a pinch rely on an hour or two at an Apple Store doing all kinds of things on one.

If you are pretty sure you are okay with handling it (ie. it fits in your pocket and you don't mind using it mostly two-handed), then get it if the size brings big advantages for the ways you use it.

I'm on Day 4 of owning the Plus. I debated the decision heavily before pulling the trigger, and have experienced some uncertainty since. As time goes on, I'm getting more used to the size and loving the advantages. But it is absolutely, definitely, not for everyone.

From the tests I've seen, image quality in photos is only marginally better. If you take lots of low-light still shots, the OIS may be worth it. Where the Plus shines as a camera is the large screen you get to use when framing and shooting. You can see much better what you are going to get.

I picked the Plus for that reason, and easier full web page viewing, much better in-car navigation and music streaming on the large screen, higher resolution, and greater real-estate. However there are definitely times I miss one-handed use, but for me the advantages outweigh this drawback.

11. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Oops sorry Madam. how do you carry it? In your bag or jacket pocket?

----------

My iPhone 5 has crap battery life. Only lasts one day if that. So sounds like the 6 isn't a heap better. The 6+ sounds the best way to get more battery life..

----------

Good points. If only the 6 had OIS and longer battery life - it would be perfect. Maybe wait for the 6S? Or is the OIS only implantable on a larger phone?

12. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I too cannot decide; and probably will order both iPhone 6s at the same time! Many have kept both too! LOL!

13. ttNB macrumors 6502

ttNB

For me, the 6+ is what I was waiting for. If they only announced the regular 6 , I would've waited for the next cycle or if the plus was delayed for a few months.
    Ultimately the screen size and battery life was a major factor in deciding the plus. I have larger hands but I'm also 6'3", and now that I hold my wife's 5S, it does seem rather smaller than I remember. But, I also,have friends that adore the regular 6, and it fits them perfectly. It's all about preference really.:apple:

14. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

So how does that work? Put your SIM in the 6 for portability. And in the 6+ for viewing movies? Seems a bit complicated and over the top

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Home screen in landscape mode, reachability (bringing screen down) on the Plus. Both are minor touches that I love. Doesn't email/messages/safari have more of a iPad feel too? Extra keys on keyboard in landscape mode? Or are those on the 6 too?

16. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I'm going to a store today to fondle both ;-)

17. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Or maybe I buy a compact camera like the Sony RX100 mk3 and wait for the iPhone 7....

18. zone23 macrumors 68000

I don't have giant hands and use the 6+ with one hand all the time. The 6 just isn't enough of an upgrade.

PS I don't have little baby hands either so I guess that helps.

19. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Tough choice. I have been out to the local Apple stores quite a few times to fondle the merchandise. And try them in my shirt pocket, front pocket . . . For me the 6 is about a perfect size. Easy to one-hand type, reach all the icons, etc. The Plus would change how I do things. Still thinking about it, but leaning 6 . . .

20. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Same here. I've tried to destroy it.. nope. Not happening. lol.

21. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I'm a girl and I use a 6+ with no problems. I'm a two handed user, so there really wasn't much to get used to. And, my phone is always in my purse. That took away any kind of "won't fit in my pocket" issue. I just love the screen real estate of the 6+ as well as the battery life. I can't imagine going back to a smaller phone.

22. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I just received my iphone 6 plus today and it's better than I imagined. I really enjoy the solid heft compared to the 5 I had previously. The screen reminds me of seeing a retina display for the very first time. I just wish the software would work so that my Steelseries stratus controller would work on Asphalt 8. I have it in a Ringke Fusion case that's clear so I see all the beauty of this device. In fine with adjusting to using this as a two-handed device which breaks the training that I had with the 4 to the 5.

*Image captured with my now retired 5 soon to be traded into Apple Store.

Attached Files:

23. Longo macrumors newbie

Happy with my plus. For one reason only.
    Battery life is great.
    Not running around asking people if they have a charger anymore.

24. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I have the 6 and it is amazing. If the size isn't an inconvenience, go for the plus even just for the added battery. As you said, you'd utilize the OIS. Hold them in store and send some mock texts and do some browsing to see how you like them.

25. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

I don't understand why so many are saying that the 6 is not a justifiable upgrade from the 5s the 6 and 6+ are the exact same phones minus a few extras bigger screen/ resolution, battery size and OIS what else am I missing here? I have the 6 and it is a great upgrade, and amazing device and feels just like my 6+ minus the screen size I get almost 2 days standby and 8 hours of screen on time with my 6 which is awesome no matter how you put it.