iPhone 6 was lost then found but destroyed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invader07, Oct 9, 2014.

1. invader07 macrumors newbie

So I finally received my iPhone 6 64gb on Thursday 10/2. On Monday 10/6 I lost my phone in the mall. On Tuesday I went back to the mall and found the phone in lost and found but the phone had been completely destroyed. Looks like whoever found it destroyed it but was nice enough to take to lost and found. When I first purchased the phone I was under contract and paid 549 for it through Apple.com. I contacted ATT and they said I'm screwed and would have to pay 749 if I want another one. Will the Apple Genius Bar help me? I had not had a chance to put any insurance or Apple Care on the phone.

Please help

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Apple will replace it for the out of warranty cost. I think it's about $279.

3. andrewket macrumors regular

iPhone 6 was lost then found but destroyed

Check your home owners or renters insurance. They might cover it. Otherwise you're SOL and will have to buy a replacement at full retail price.

4. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

5. MacTCE macrumors 6502

That's terrible! I can't believe someone who found a phone would destroy it like that for no good reason. As stated before I would check with your home owners insurance, it's a long shot, but worth a try. It that doesn't work I would bring it to Apple and see what they'll do for you.

6. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I'll hazard a guess.....who ever found it had heard about #bendgate and
    decided the give it a go.

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

If you used a credit card for the purchase like American Express or Visa Signature, you may be covered by their 90 day accidental damage, theft, loss etc. coverage.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What happened when you say it was "destroyed"? Was it bent? Burned? In two or more pieces? It could have been run over or caught in the escalators, not necessarily deliberately sabotaged.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

The person who found and turned your phone in to Lost and Found is likely NOT the person who destroyed it. And is there a chance it's a possibility your phone was trampled or damaged, accidentally and unnoticed, on the floor of the mall for awhile before it was seen and turned in? Try not to assume the worst of all people. Someone did take the time and trouble to turn it in.

Sorry to hear it was destroyed. When you get your replacement, look into the insurance that AT&T offers. I got that plan with my 5s and now my 6Plus. It supposedly covers even acts of stupidity, which is exactly the kind of coverage a mother who routinely supervises hoards of small children needs. It's worth it on a phone this fragile and expensive.

Best of luck to you. I really am sorry this happened to you. This sort of thing happened to my husband once in NYC during a business trip, when we didn't have very much money and the loss of a phone, even though not the expense of an iPhone, was financially painful. The person who found his phone didn't give it back...we called the phone and the guy answered and he clearly was scum...barely sounded human and spoke in a low guttural snarl.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes they will help you. Help you a new iPhone at full price.

Lost a new iPhone in 4 days?! Jeez. Some people just want to watch the world burn…

12. boobie12 macrumors 6502

bring it to apple...they will take your damaged iphone give you a white box new one for 279 plus tax which usually comes to 300. better then 750.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

$299 for iPhone 6 and $329 for iPhone 6+.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This assumption is why when I happen upon lost devices I leave them exactly where they are.

I suppose its possible the person who found the iPhone destroyed it, but then it seems inconsistent that such a person would then take the time to bring it to lost and found. I don't know why you would assume that.

15. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I wonder if they destroyed it because they found they couldn't use it from the security features. I agree with everyone here with the CC 90 day clause. Unfortunate situation but you should be okay financially provided you used a credit card.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Could you go back to the mall and ask for a copy of the CCTV? Attempt to identify the lovely person who destroyed your phone and pay them a visit. I wouldn't mind betting they would love to have that broken iPhone implanted into their forehead. Its the least you can do. :p :)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That stinks that you lost your phone, you are going to have to pay for the replacement. Hopefully this will teach you to keep better track of your things.

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I agree. I've found many things looking a bit wrecked...cameras, cell phones, sunglasses and I've always taken the time and bother to turn them in, as I would hope someone would do the same for my lost items. It never even once occurred to me that the owner would think I, the finder and person who made such an effort at return, would think ME responsible for the damage to their item.

Really, I learn something new about humanity every day.

19. medlee macrumors member

this sucks but hopefully it's covered and you get it replaced. sometimes, even if you're super careful, things happen

20. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

He'd probably have to get the police involved, and even then there's no guarantee the mall will do anything unless you're very specific about time and place. And that still assumes the cameras were pointing there at the time.

I learned this the hard way in a mall parking garage when someone wrecked the fender of my then-brand-new car while it was parked. Within view of three cameras, and the mall still claimed they got nothing. Either the cameras were pointed the wrong way, or the mall security was too lazy to bother, or maybe one of their own security cars did it, and they didn't want to fess up and turn over the video showing that. But the cameras were useless for me because the mall was unable or unwilling to pull the video, even when the police and my insurance company pressed them.

22. eneisch, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

eneisch macrumors 6502a

Why do people say that the OP can go to Apple and get a OOW replacement.

From the link to Apple's website previously poseted in this thread:

Out-of-warranty* cost:

iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $269
    iPhone 4s: $199
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone: $149
    Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax.
    *Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.

Notice the asterisk after Out-of-warranty and then note the asterisk at the bottom. This would indicate to me that the OOW does not apply since in the OP's case this would be considered accidental (or evenly possibly intentional) damages. While OP didn't cause the damage himself there is no way for Apple to be sure. They make take pity on you, but I would expect them to tell you that you will have to pay full unsubsidized price for a new one.

Sorry for your loss! Let us know how it turns out for you. Hopefully my strict interpretation of the policy is incorrect.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

*Shrug* They can think whatever they want. You can't control that part of things so it's not something I'm going to worry about.

What matters to me is that I know I've done the right thing instead of just being yet another passive "it's someone else's problem" avoider.

24. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I can definitely emphasise with you. I was in a similar situation, I just found the security to be very lazy and incompetent. Unless there's been a loss of life or something along the lines of that they probably won't care to calls from from the police/insurers.

25. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year LIMITED WARRANTY. That is why they need an OOW replacement!

A limited warranty replacement is when there is a fault in your device and you get it replaced free usually.

OOW replacement is for issues with your phone that were cause by you or are not covered under the warranty! Hence the name.