iPhone 6+ with polarized sunglasses = junk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbrowntruck, Oct 4, 2014.

1. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

Anyone else seen this with polarized sunglasses. I have Oakley biking glasses and thought my screen was broken when I had them on. Found out it only looks like this with the sunglasses on.

I am not very happy at all about this. Going to Apple store and check demo units. This along with buggy IOS 8 does not make a happy camper right now. Battery life and screen without sunglasses is what I am most impressed with.

Look at pictures. I took without sunglasses and everything is normal. Then I put sunglasses over camera and this is what I am seeing when wearing my Oakley polarized sunglasses.

This device is almost $1000. This is unacceptable to me. We'll see if its just my phone or what Apple wants to do about it.

Attached Files:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is because of the sunglasses. I have some polarized Oakley sunglasses and I can't see my HTC One (M7) very well.

3. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Here is one more with glasses covering half the screen.

Attached Files:

4. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

I can understand not seeing it well, but why is it all bubbly and look like rolling hills. Its like I am seeing the defects or problems on the filter below the screen. iPhone 5 has no problems. :(

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Does this happen with the sunglasses in any orientation? Because I know polarized sunglasses can make LCD monitors invisible when tilted 90 degrees.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Similar but less pronounced, weird micro-waves. iPhone 6.
    iPad Air, last generation display, perfectly smooth.

Using Giro's with Carl Zeiss polarized lens.

Will try wife's iPhone 5C as soon as she gets in. Curious. Apple had advertised better compatibility with polarized lenses.

I usually don't wear polarized... so hadn't noticed.

7. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

The nature of polarized glass + LCD screens

Check this out: MacRumors Sept. 2012 forum

There are a plethora of articles about this:

Android Forum

Apple Support Forums

8. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Seems to happen at all angles and landscape/portrait. Here is about the best I can get with the iPhone 5. Weird how iPhone 5 is fine. Nothing. Just different tint from sunglasses. Sucks because I wear polarized a lot.

Attached Files:

9. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links. I don't mind the tint. It bothers me the screen is all bubbled up and looks like the lcd is canyon. It has valleys and hills when I use my sunglasses. Very annoying. I know the color will be different. I don't mind that. Let me get a picture of any web article. You'll see how annoying it is.

10. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Here are some close ups and using safari. If anyone else has some polarized lenses just give it a shot and see what you get. Maybe its just iphone 6+ or maybe 6 too. iPhone 5 seems normal to me. I have iPhone 4 somewhere, but I guess it will probably be ok.

Attached Files:

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I have polarized oakleys too. My first 5s and I saw the same weird lines wearing mine. Replaced my phone and no lines when wearing my glasses.

There are 6+ screens out there without this problem

12. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I have Maui Jim Banyans with Polarized lenses. I have no issues seeing my 6 Plus. At times I had issues with my iPhone 5, but not my 6 Plus.

13. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for checking your 6 plus. I'll go the the store sometime and check the displays. Maybe its just this phone.

14. Epiphron macrumors regular

That looks defective. I can see my screen perfectly with polarized glasses

15. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not all polarizing filters are equal. Some are far better than others. The higher the polarizing quality, the more "defects" you'll see on any surface -- which of course are not truly defects but slight shifts in the polarization of the reflected light.

16. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

That screen looks gross. I would def. take it back

17. JeremyE macrumors regular

With any screen while I am wearing polarized glasses I always take them off, it's just annoying.

18. cynics macrumors G4

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

my 6 is still usable with my ray bans that are polarized

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Displays looking like **** is why I stopped buying polarized sunglasses a few years ago. Not only that but they're not as darkly shaded as the non-polarized tints available.

I don't really see the advantage anyway.

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Polarized glasses and LCD screens don't get along. This is nothing new and it has exactly nothing to do with iPhones beyond the fact that iPhones have LCD screens. Don't like it? Don't wear polarized sun glasses.

----------

You can get polarized shades that are just as dark as non polarized ones. Personally I like polarization. Cuts down on glare and makes skies look more blue. But I take them off when I look at an LCD. Because they don't play nice with LCDs or other polarized things.

22. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I use my iPhone for my GPS, and noticed the same thing, started looking, and found that pilots are also looking for non-polarized sunglasses. Planning on ordering a pair of these before too long:

http://www.vedalohd.com/sunglasses/

23. Ries macrumors 68000

Ofc they may not get along, but whatever effect they have, it should be uniform, not like that.

24. jordonez1372 macrumors newbie

I just checked my wife's iPhone 6 with my polarized black iridium oakleys and it looks normal. I also looked at my S4 and no issues as well.