Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Previous rumors that a smaller-screened "iPhone 6c" had been canceled for 2015 and perhaps now set to launch sometime in 2016 are getting a bit more heft today, with a report from Digitimes suggesting the "iPhone 5c successor" will launch in the second quarter of 2016. The site's sources from within the seminconductor industry also point to the so-called iPhone 6c lineup arriving with new 14/16nm FinFET chips from TSMC and Samsung, which would bring better performance and lower power consumption to the new line of cheaper iPhones.

iphone_6s6c2-800x450.jpg

The 14/16nm FinFET chips will be manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and Samsung, the sources said. The original plan was to equip the devices with chips built using TSMC's 20nm SoC process, said the sources, but the adoption of FinFET processors would enable specs upgrade and lower power consumption.
Releasing an iPhone in the second quarter of the year wouldn't exactly be unheard of for Apple -- the original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 all launched in June -- but it would definitely go against the early fall annual launch dates the company has been following for about four years now.

Digitimes has a spotty track record with respect to Apple rumors, although the site has on a number of occasions offered accurate information from Apple's supply chain. At a minimum, today's report adds to those from other source's including KGI's Ming-Chi Kuo stating Apple is planning a new 4-inch iPhone for 2016.

The latest rumors surrounding the iPhone 6c point to a device the size of an iPhone 5s, but in the same hardware vein of an iPhone 6. The smartphone would have an all-metal unibody construction, different from the plastic iPhone 5c that launched the cheaper iPhone trend in 2013.

Article Link: 'iPhone 6c' Rumored for Q2 2016 Launch With 14/16nm Chips

Reactions: senrab

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Why does a 4-inch phone have to be cheaper? I'd gladly pay the same price as (or even more than) a current 6 for a phone I can actually hold/fit in my pocket. C'mon Apple!

YES. I agree. I'd pay more if I could get a phone usable one hand. A metal 4 inch phone with 2GB of ram and whatever processor the 6S has in it and I'd be in heaven.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I so want this rumour to be true, not because I have any interest in a 6c but because I'm clutching at any straw that I can to make myself hope that the recent leaked 1715 mAh battery (https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/03/iphone-6s-6c-1715mah-battery/) might not be destined for the 6s.

For the leaked 1715 mAh battery to end up being a leaked 6c part then we need the 6c project to actually exist.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Although I don't mind what apple would throw for small screen iPhone, it would be great to see apple satisfy those customers with special consideration on iPhone sizes.

I would always carry a small bag, and put iPhone and iPad inside. So size is no longer a serious problem for me.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
For the people who're desperately praying for another 4" screen need to understand that quite possibly with the iPhone 7 or later the 'home/touch id' button might not be there; thus freeing up some great deal of space.

An iPhone 5-ish sized phone albeit with 4.7" screen sounds like the way they'd move now. :)

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
If true could it be a little because of manufacturing constraints ? The iPhone has previously slowed down in sales by now , but it's still selling extreamly well compared to previous years , which means production of iPhone 6 is higher at a point where the next version starts being produced massively ready for launch day demand .

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
For the people who're desperately praying for another 4" screen need to understand that quite possibly with the iPhone 7 or later the 'home/touch id' button might not be there; thus freeing up some great deal of space.

An iPhone 5-ish sized phone albeit with 4.7" screen sounds like the way they'd move now. :)
What is this based on? Your own imagination?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
No way, I bet when it's closer to that date, they will say that Apple is having production issues and is delaying it until the third quarter, as usual.

There is no reason why they would release a new iPhone separate from the iPhone 7 later that year.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Pretty much actually, why does it prick you?
If it doesn't make sense to you, then why not just move on.
'Cause when it happens, it just happens.
You made it sound like it was a logical deduction, yet I've seen nothing that points to your conclusion.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
You made it sound like it was a logical deduction, yet I've seen nothing that points to your conclusion.
Wasn't there a rumour that the "home/touch id" button will be replaced?
Quite possibly be integrated onto the screen itself.

For me that seems like a much logical stand point, and based on the "tick" cycle that will be a major redesign.
I'm definitely putting my money on that, if you can't then just move on I suggest.

_
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-button-on-apples-roadmap-but-not-before-2017
In case if you haven't even heard of the rumour.

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Oh for a 4" iPhone with 15 hours quoted battery life for internet. Don't want thin, just long-lasting, please.
Agreed- would totally take the current 5s size with updated internals. Thin is so overrated. Did anyone at Apple actually hold the ipad air before they released it? It looks cool, but is impossible to hold (much like the new iphones)

jeevestobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008

While that would be a welcome development, getting rid of the home button would only reduce the height of the phone. The width is much more important when it comes to making the phone manageable with one hand (that's why it was relatively easy to adjust to the elongated iPhone 5). We still need a 4-inch iPhone.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why does a 4-inch phone have to be cheaper? I'd gladly pay the same price as (or even more than) a current 6 for a phone I can actually hold/fit in my pocket. C'mon Apple!

They do the same with the iPads. Why is the mini cheaper? It gives them an excuse to not update it I suppose.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
They are cheaper to produce: smaller screen, smaller battery, smaller case. And if you want to be able to capture a larger part of the market by offering different price points, charging more for the larger devices makes those different price points seem justified (even if a cost increase by 10% result in a price increase by 30%).

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
A 4.7" screen fit inside the original iPhone with little to no bezel. Home button and touch ID can be incorporated into the display by using force touch, and battery life can be measured in days by making the phone as thick as the original iPhone.

I never once heard anyone say the original iPhone was too thick btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.