Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MobileEMT

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA, USA
I see LCD was mentioned a couple times. Was the screen verified to be LCD or is this just an assumption?

OLED is another possibily if it's anything like the Apple Watch. Apple said having a flexible display was necessary for the Apple Watch's Force Touch, and there's no such thing as flexible LCDs AFAIK.

Almost 100% sure the iPhone 6S will include an OLED screen. As seen here, the iPhone 6S display assembly only has 1 flex cable for the display where as the iPhone 6 has 2 flex cables for the display (other cable shown on the 6S is for the Touch ID cable that runs down toward the home button). On the iPhone 6/6 plus and below, Apple used 2 connectors for the display. One for the touch panel, and one for the LCD. What other screens only have a single connection? OLED's.

The ZTE Axon Mini is the world's first Force Touch phone, and it has an OLED display. Here's hoping!

Last edited:
Reactions: scapegoat81

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I hate to spoil the fun but let me predict this '6S' hysteria:

* Same body design
* Same camera design but w/updated resolution and some more filters/optical gimmicks
* Same fingerprint sensor
* Same LCD panel
* MAYBE, just maybe force touch
* definitely still 1GB ram

Last one is most likely. You will not see 2GB ram until the iPhone 7.
I don't think so, to compare with the almost year old Air 2 it'll need much improved specs.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Apple excepts sales of 90 Million + for the iPhone 6S/6S Plus ... I don't think they can achieve this with "your" upgrade list.

Since every "S" Cycle release Apple had one big feature nobody predicted nor was it leaked: 5S new 64-bit CPU (literally no one expected this) ; 4S: No one expected Siri (-some even thought they would still use a single core CPU for the 4S but it was the first Dual-Core iPhone)

So i think a major new CPU maybe tri-core like the Air 2 or something is expected to come. And even OLED Display is not impossible. Besides the leaks no one can tell what display panel is being used for the new 6S.

I like the way you think

Reactions: chrizzz09

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
we already know everything about iphone 6s:
-iOS9
-2Gb RamDDR4
-Triple Core (clocked at ?? this is the only question)
-Force Touch
-Rose Gold
-7000series Al
i dont think will be any big surprises that we don't know yet

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
Almost 100% sure the iPhone 6S will include an OLED screen. As seen here, the iPhone 6S display assembly only has 1 flex cable for the display where as the iPhone 6 has 2 flex cables for the display (other is for the Touch ID cable that runs down toward the home button). On the iPhone 6/6 plus and below, Apple used 2 connectors for the display. One for the touch panel, and one for the LCD. What other screens only have a single connection? OLED's.

The ZTE Axon Mini is the world's first Force Touch device, and it has an OLED display. Here's hoping!
Very much hope you're right!

As much as I think OLED is for iPhone 7, as it would be too much of a big feature alongside force touch, 12MP camera and 2GB of RAM -because they need to save big features for the iPhone 7, too -I just don't see how FT would work on an LCD either.

Or if it did work, why go to all that effort to engineer it for LCD when they're soon to switch to OLED, which is proven to work most effectively with the technology?

A lot of good points for and against OLED here, that's for sure. It makes rational sense to include it, but we just don't have any leaks, and we would have a lot of them by now.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That's not the only reason. There are many features exclusive to the 6+
Landscape home screen
Some extra keys on the keyboard
OIS
Bigger Screen/Pixel Density.

Let me know when one of these is considered "professional"

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Very much hope you're right!

As much as I think OLED is for iPhone 7, as it would be too much of a big feature alongside force touch, 12MP camera and 2GB of RAM -because they need to save big features for the iPhone 7, too -I just don't see how FT would work on an LCD either.

Or if it did work, why go to all that effort to engineer it for LCD when they're soon to switch to OLED, which is proven to work most effectively with the technology?

A lot of good points for and against OLED here, that's for sure. It makes rational sense to include it, but we just don't have any leaks, and we would have a lot of them by now.

If next month's iPhone gets all of these rumored/almost confirmed upgrades: 2GB RAM, OLED with Force Touch, 12mp camera with 4K video & more, there may have been some validity to Ming-Chi Kuo's claim that Apple will call it the iPhone 7. We'll see.

Reactions: scapegoat81

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Oled will only be with sapphire without home button
iPhone 7 will be the biggest step in innovation IF they will put both-sapphire and oled and remove the home button
but im 50%-50% sure because we all know that they put a little now a little later

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Oled will only be with sapphire without home button
iPhone 7 will be the biggest step in innovation IF they will put both-sapphire and oled and remove the home button
but im 50%-50% sure because we all know that they put a little now a little later
Can I ask how moving to oled screens can be classed as innovation.. As they currently exist in existing smartphones.. Namely the s6 and the tablet galaxy tab s, universally considered the best mobile screens ever made. This is not innovation my friend, more like blatant trying to catch up with the leaders in screen technology..

Reactions: rjohnstone

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Can I ask how moving to oled screens can be classed as innovation.. As they currently exist in existing smartphones.. Namely the s6 and the tablet galaxy tab s, universally considered the best mobile screens ever made. This is not innovation my friend, more like blatant trying to catch up with the leaders in screen technology..

You means pentile and having to put 25% more pixels on screen just to product the same actual resolution as a LCD slowing down your device and burning up your battery is actually better? Less durability by far of the screen (color drift, burn, etc) is better?

It has its use in a watch were use is punctual use and resolution is less, but its not yet ready for 90M large panels produced in 3 months.

You do know that Samsung produces ahem, far less OLED screens than Apple does LCD...

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
so every single Web review is wrong when they say that the s6 has the best mobile display ever created are they.. go and link one that doesn't if you have the time.. once again, your life will be so much more balanced if you accept that Apple isn't the best at everything no matter how much you want them to be...

oh, by the way apple produces zero lcd screens, not sure what figures of screens produced by anyone is relevant to this post...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
You means pentile and having to put 25% more pixels on screen just to product the same actual resolution as a LCD slowing down your device and burning up your battery is actually better? Less durability by far of the screen (color drift, burn, etc) is better?

It has its use in a watch were use is punctual use and resolution is less, but its not yet ready for 90M large panels produced in 3 months.

You do know that Samsung produces ahem, far less OLED screens than Apple does LCD...
Your knowledge of OLED displays seems to be a bit out of date.
The OLED display in the Note 4 and S6 were rated as the best at color reproduction, even better than what Apple uses.
"The measured Absolute Color Error for the Galaxy Note 4 is just 1.5 JNCD, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely considerably better than your living room TV."

Burn in issues are only relevant to cheap OLED panels. Non-issue for the high end panels.
Samsung's new OLED panels do not use Pentile arrangement either, they went with a new diamond layout.
And Apple doesn't "produce" any displays, the buy them. ;)

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015

2k is double the pixels, so way more sharp, but you knew that already.. a good lad is a 1000 to 1 contrast ratio, a good oled is 100000 to 1 ratio, darker blacks, whiter whites.. denial is a cruel mistress my friend. let m guess tho, the when the iPhone 7 has an oled screen made by Samsung, they would have done ir right and it the bet thing ever.. jeez.. bells just rung mate, back to class..

Reactions: rjohnstone

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Your knowledge of OLED displays seems to be a bit out of date.
The OLED display in the Note 4 and S6 were rated as the best at color reproduction, even better than what Apple uses.
"The measured Absolute Color Error for the Galaxy Note 4 is just 1.5 JNCD, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely considerably better than your living room TV."

Burn in issues are only relevant to cheap OLED panels. Non-issue for the high end panels.
Samsung's new OLED panels do not use Pentile arrangement either, they went with a new diamond layout.
And Apple doesn't "produce" any displays, the buy them. ;)
he knows this all too well mate, it's just kool aid bs spouting in he hope that the less tech savvy believe it.. insecure or what..

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I think the interesting part that no one has noticed is that the display and digitizer are on the same cable now. Looking at the 6 display there is a connector for each. On the 6s there is a connector for the display and the second cable runs down behind the metal plate and connects for the home button. If you put the plate on the 6, there is another connector at the top. On the leaked motherboard shots, there is one less connector spot as well.

Almost 100% sure the iPhone 6S will include an OLED screen. As seen here, the iPhone 6S display assembly only has 1 flex cable for the display where as the iPhone 6 has 2 flex cables for the display (other cable shown on the 6S is for the Touch ID cable that runs down toward the home button). On the iPhone 6/6 plus and below, Apple used 2 connectors for the display. One for the touch panel, and one for the LCD. What other screens only have a single connection? OLED's.

The ZTE Axon Mini is the world's first Force Touch phone, and it has an OLED display. Here's hoping!

You guys may be on to something here, but can it not be redesigned into an LCD display? Perhaps integrating force touch allows for this to happen (a different integration for the second flex cable rather than one flex cable for the display) though I guess the leaked motherboard shot may dispel that train of thought...though I submit I am probably demonstrating my limited knowledge in LCD vs OLED display connections in smartphones haha

But then, who would be the supplier? LG? I know they invested heavily into Apple product screen production earlier this year but I feel there is too little turn around time from the factory opening to producing parts this year - and Apple is aiming for even more phones to be sold this generation than last generation (where they already sold an incredible amount) - to me it points that the LG factory would be for products produced in the next cycle (next year) rather than this

It would be a very welcome surprise if its an OLED display, but I am not sold on the idea.

Reactions: MobileEMT

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Well, if that's all he said, that would make sense. But he said a sapphire OLED screen with Touch ID built into the display. As far as I know, that hasn't been done has it?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
we already know everything about iphone 6s:
-iOS9
-2Gb RamDDR4
-Triple Core (clocked at ?? this is the only question)
-Force Touch
-Rose Gold
-7000series Al
i dont think will be any big surprises that we don't know yet

-12MP camera with 4K video recording
- 5MP FaceTime camera with LED flash, 1080p
- LTE band 12
- OLED needed for Force Touch???
- Multitasking
- "improved/enhanced" TouchID

This is shaping up to be the most impressive 's' upgrade ever.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
So if they don't make a 4" display, how may years will you hold out before you go bigger?
Until the battery doesn't charge any more?
Until it's not worth anything for trade in?

If they don't offer the smaller one this time, do you think they'll backpedal next year (or the next) and make a 4"?

If you're going to have to pull the plug eventually, why wait...?

Gary
(Questions in italics are rhetorical)
...because he might NOT have to pull the plug. Why spend money if, not only don't you have to, but you might be able to spend it on something you want more than any of the current offerings in the future? He may have to "pull the plug", as you say, but unless you have skills in foretelling the future that I don't know about, it's probably best to wait and see for now.

MobileEMT

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA, USA
Does Force Touch require an OLED display or is it possible Apple came up with a Force Touch LCD? If it is OLED, will the resolution/PPI go up?

That's also a concern over here. The connections look SO similar to the LCD connections from previous models, you'd think a little more under the hood changes would need to be made to cater to a 'new' technology in OLED screens.

Anxiously awaiting a technician getting their hands on a display so they can split the glass off and figure it out for us sooner than release/announcement.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Not unless they make a 4" display available!! I know a bunch of people, myself included that'll hang on to our 5s, untill they make a third display size available, or at least manage to make the physical size of the iPhone 6, approx. the size of the 5s with the same 4.7" screen. Not at all interested in these massive smartphones! Not for a second!!
Totally with you on this one. If I want a Ping Pong paddle, I would go get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.